ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Playchoice-10 midi/cabaret cab restore (Deith UK)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Playchoice-10 midi/cabaret cab restore (Deith UK)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playchoice-10 midi/cabaret cab restore (Deith UK)
    Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:12pm
Had this one a little while, but now my Sky Skipper cab is done it's time to get on with this nice project. Been really looking forward to doing this one if I'm honest, it's quite an unusual cab so thought I'd give it a decent write up and plenty of pics.

There's a fair few PC-10 cabs made in the UK, but this one is the only midi sized one I've seen. It uses a 14" for the main monitor and a 10" for the top, and the whole cab takes up less space than an Electrocoin midi or similar. It's really tiny for a 2 screen cab.

It's a UK build by Deith Leisure.

It was found on a raid by jase38, he had a couple of not-very-detailed pics from above as it was behind a load of other stuff, but thought I'd take a punt on it off the back of that as it was cheap. No idea what was in it if anything. He said the psu section and pcb were gone but he'd send them on separately, and they arrived a little while before the cab.

Here's how it looked when it arrived. I was expecting the standard full size one so was quite surprised to see this little cab turn up!

Opened it up and sure enough everything was missing.

Here's the power supply section, complete with the missing loom bits.

Opened up the control panel to unstick some of the buttons that were wedged on and had a big surprise...turns out the pcb and carts are all stored in there not the empty shelf in the middle of the cab!

There was a lovely selection of carts in it too. As you can imagine I was over the moon to see it was complete inside.

After leaving the doors off and letting it dry out properly I gave it the first test. Sounded like the monitors might be working, so that was a result. PSU was dead though, so swapped that out for one of my spares and it fired up.

It was clear these monitors hadn't been touched in a LONG time. A simple adjutment had both giving a very bad picture and missing a colour on one so they will be going off to tb2000 for a fix and service, but this was a great result to see the pcb worked and the cab was kind of playable.

Here's how the monitors are fixed in. The top one is mounted upsidedown. There's no room between them, every bit of space is filled.

The whole bezel section lifts up like a bonet and is held up in the same way. I don't think I've seen another cab do it like that.

Tony took away the whole monitors, handy he's nearby as it means the tubes can get properly set up with the chassis for the best picture possible. Today I started to strip the rest of the cab down.

Sides are good. The art is stenciled directly to the cabinet, I tried a quick clean with just a damp cloth and some of the red paint came off so going to be very delicate cleaning the sides up.

Back of the cab where you can see how small it really is, and the Deith serial plate - sadly the hand written numbers have faded.

All the metalwork is going to need sanding back and painting.

Something I only picked up a few weeks ago and wish I'd bought some decades back is some moving dolly platforms. Stick the cab on and push it around with one hand. Perfect for when you're spinning it around for cleaning or loom work etc.

Manuals & paperwork that was in the bottom of the cab

Control panel overlay needs replacing. This cab uses a unique layout as well so I'll have to vector this one.

Also uses some special buttons for the select/start which I don't rememer seeing anywhere else, if anyone has any of them PLEASE let me know!!! They are different to the cone buttons used on other PC-10 cabs. Also uses a red and blue sitck, but these seem ok.

Stripped down ready for a good clean tomorrow

That's all for today.

Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:15pm
These are the buttons used on the start/select etc buttons - if anyone has any or knows where to get them please let me know.

JonathanClayton View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanClayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:15pm
Looks amazing Ol! I still can't believe how many different versions we have of this cabinet
mynintendoarcade.com
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:48pm
Opening that control panel must have been sweet :)

I'm almost definite this is the same type I used to play in a bowling alley way back. The time concept was very confusing at first (who had time to read instructions?) and wondering why castlevania would just end on me.

Looks in pretty good condition all things considered
keptboy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keptboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:06pm
I think I have some of those buttons mate
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:30pm
Lovely cab that Olly, so nice that it’s super compact.
Wanted: ASTEROIDS CABARET or ASTEROIDS DELUXE CABARET, also looking for a Super Pacman Bezel, a Euro Millipede inner Bezel. WANTED: VECTREX
jase38 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:50pm
What an awesome little cabinet! When I found this cab it was stacked behind loads of fruit machines, in a unit in the middle of nowhere.  It's great to see it being brought back to life.  I still can't believe all the games it had inside, awesome stuff! Smile
wim outrun repro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:53am
Awesome, story, always fun to find the unxpected
cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 8:16am
Got the size of the start button? I think i have that.
tb2000 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:52am
I should have the monitors done pretty soon Olly, the lower one is an A42 tube so it's what I think Hantarex refer to as a 16".
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:54am
I thought it was the same shape cabinet as this one at first. It's close but there's a few obvious differences..

There's nothing quite like finding a nice surprise in a cab like a PCB you wasn't expecting. Cool project.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:56am
Great to hear a couple of you might have the buttons. There's 2 types, one used for the Channel/Enter/Game select with the black plunger and the others for Start/Resets with the red punger.

Red one has ridges on the outside and is slightly convex, 14mm diameter on top, 12mm diameter shaft. Black one has a flatter top & same dimensions.

FanDabbyDozy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FanDabbyDozy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 7:58pm
This post made me dig out my one, needs a good service on the main screen, similar but has the odd few differences (I have another but that one is missing both screens):

cools View Drop Down
User
User
I joined ages ago honest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:23pm

These what you need?

Got this one too which isnt an exact match but you're welcome to if its useful
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 8:48am
Originally posted by cools cools wrote:

These what you need?

Ah superb mate, that's fantastic. They look spot on, I'll drop you a pm.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:02pm
Cleaning up of the whole cab now. I thought about replacing the matting as it was pretty grubby and usually a good scrubbing doesn't make a lot of difference.

Thought I'd have a go with some Black Trim Wax that I use on my van and see how that did, pretty much poured it on and pushed in to the edges but worked really well.

Cabinet all cleaned inside and out.

Touched up and gouges and chipped edges with my Edding paint pen, really works wonders that.

Then on to the new t-molding for the base. Slot was very loose so needed to use a bit of hot glue on this one. I use veneer pins to hold in underneath then glue along to each bend, hold it until it's set then carry on.

That's all the cabinet work done, here's how she looks now.

nurtuo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2020 at 4:11pm
Lovely Work Olly as normal from you Olly!!

Can't wait to see you do the same to the Hang-On.
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:47pm
Bit more progress over the weekend.

Power section cleaned up and reassembled.

Back in the cab, 59600 on the coin counter.

Speakers cleaned up with some wire wool and brasso.

Coin entry section pretty grubby and rusty.

Cleaned up and back in the cab along with the speakers.

Started on the metalwork, foot plate repainted and back on the cab. That really makes a difference!

Waiting on some more rattle cans to arrive so I can do the main monitor cover.

Edited by muddymusic - 01 Jun 2020 at 7:47pm
Escape-to-88 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escape-to-88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:01am
Looking great so far, mate.
jase38 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:35pm
Awesome progress and fantastic work on the base, it looks so much better already. Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic