ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Info > Site Maintenance and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Topic ClosedPlease STOP thread dumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please STOP thread dumping
    Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:11am
Hey guys, 

We've noticed a large increase in this.   What is "Thread Dumping" I hear some of you ask?   It's where someone posts a reply to a topic that isn't either on topic or in the spirit of the topic.    For example if someone posts a "Wanted Widgets" in the Wanted forum,  the only relevant replies are if you have or know someone who has said Widget.   If someone offers one on the topic and it's declined it's NOT cool to ask on that topic how much it is or how much should I expect to pay for one.   If you want to ask those questions either raise your own topic or send a PM to the person offering the Widget.

UKVAC is a very liberal forum, we're not going to come down on people for doing this unless it's excessive/repeated or abusive - but I would just ask that you think before doing it whether you'd appreciate someone doing the same on your topic?   

Cheers,

Dan
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 9:54am
The customer is always right *

* apart from on ukvac.

Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:51am
Originally posted by abaxas abaxas wrote:

* apart from on ukvac.

Thanks for adding an example.
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Milky Milky wrote:

* apart from on ukvac.

Thanks for adding an example.

Thanks for joining in and providing another example.

Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 4:59pm
I assume that this reminder is related to a thread and its replies that have appeared in the last week?

Whilst I respect the rules of the forum, and it can be annoying to get off topic replies in a wanted advert, if a person has stated that he is intending to offer the cabinet in a forthcoming sale in the thread, do you not think this would lead people to ask "how much?" in the same thread?

And do you not also think this can be classed as post dumping - saying that you will sell something but not actually wanting to sell it in the wanted thread you've posted that in?

Just an observation

Edited by Purity - 04 May 2016 at 5:01pm
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 6:32pm
I'm sort of with Purity on this one. Going slightly off-topic within a thread is part of the rambling joy of forums isn't it?

Pissing in someone's For Sale thread is another matter, but that's the only area I can see any real issue with.

Again, just an observation - but I can see how it might wind some people up.
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

I assume that this reminder is related to a thread and its replies that have appeared in the last week?

Whilst I respect the rules of the forum, and it can be annoying to get off topic replies in a wanted advert, if a person has stated that he is intending to offer the cabinet in a forthcoming sale in the thread, do you not think this would lead people to ask "how much?" in the same thread?

And do you not also think this can be classed as post dumping - saying that you will sell something but not actually wanting to sell it in the wanted thread you've posted that in?

Just an observation

Yeah sorry I chose a poor example in a hurry.   It's just an observation that there's been a marked increase in random wtf? posts within threads.   Of course if something is even vaguely on topic and in context it's OK.    
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:08pm
random wtf comments = not acceptable
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 10:56pm

random wtf comments = not acceptable

What about weirdos? Acceptable?
northwest View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:18pm
Weirdos on UK vac ?.. Lol .sorry if dumping.

Edited by northwest - 04 May 2016 at 11:20pm
WANTED : STAR Wars cab empty .....TRON arcade or just the cab.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

Weirdos = not acceptable
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:10am

Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

Weirdos = not acceptable

we'd better shut down the hobby then LOL

I see both sides, some fs threads have taken a new and interesting slant, some have been dumped on, it should be obvious which is which really. I know nowone likes a censored or heavily modded forum but i think its fair enough to see "post removed due to dumping" or something similar, happens on all forums.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 12:20am
My view is that any thread is not owned by anyone, only the posts contained in it are personal. And just like normal human conversation it can go off on a tangent, people can butt in, etc.

Hence, all this talk of someone's forsale thread is bollox. It's a thread where someone is trying to sell something and hence can be attacked, commented on etc.

Also, people need to stop being anal about things and just let people chat, discuss and generally get along. Rules just end up in resentment so should be avoided if possible.

Finally, mods need to remember that the forum has to be inclusive which means they are ultimatly governed not by any rules of the site but the law itself.
ocb View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 8:13am
Wandering off-topic a bit, ok. Dumping/threadjacking - no thanks. The reason I came here (as opposed to other arcade related forums) was it's on-topic and friendly atmosphere.
If folks want to rant off-topic, this - like all forums - has sections like this one: 

Off Topic - General
True place to dribble
Coin-op addict 1976-1983, 88-92, 2014-Present. Regional Atari (Pac-Man) Champion 1982. Utter failure at consoles.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:18am

Hello

This is a post to remind and hopefully stop everything that escalates and makes a thread turn 'abrasive'.

You know we hate over moderation on this forum, but for that to work we need your participation also, when to decide to push the keyboard away and cool off, or when not to make a post to someone that you know will 'explode' with all the comical steam out of ears and other places. When you know you just don't get on and just choose to ignore each other.

All the guys that moderate here do it for free. Sometimes it's tough when everything is kicking off and you've got a baby to feed, or a child to put to bed, or a million other things that your family rely on you for, knowing you also have to find time to come and clean up, proxy or intervene in an issue on the forum.

You are all clever guys, and you all know what winds each other up, or annoys each other. All we ask is to not necessarily initiate that part when you know a sh*t storm will come out of it.

You know who you can have banter with and who you can't, we don't want to limit opinions or lock threads or suspend anyone, you have the power to make and take informed decisions.  

We just ask for your help in this also, it's a two way street, to keep the forum on tangent and not descend into something that would make us all sad.

Thanks guys
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 9:34am
Providing mods understand the english language there should never be a problem.

Offense is taken not given.

Suprized how many people don't understand that.

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:09am

Providing mods understand the english language there should never be a problem.

Suprized how many people don't understand that.

Are you honest to god being serious?

What about whens there's issue between two members and Mods have to intervene? What happens when there's name calling or very obvious friction that is escalating in a thread?

I think you've really shown yourself up by posting this.

People are different, not everyone shares your views, therefore it's pretty simple to decude that for some people, 'offence is taken not given' doesn't ring true.

For example what you have posted and I have quoted actually offends me and riles me up.

I cannot believe that you mock the hard work we have to put in to manage a forum, if you want an open and free for all forum that allows offensive and abusive behaviour I suggest you participate in the Neo Geo forums.

If you want an open forum with minimal intervention then you must hold back your tongue on here and have some level of respect for other forum members where you observe and understand that not everyone will have the level of tolerance as you.

There is of course room like I said earlier, but frankly obtuse or ignorant behaviour to others feelings or indeed the forum rules - or indeed someone making me have to spend hours cleaning stuff up when I could be spending it with my family just isn't welcome.

So, to sum up.

You want an open and minimally moderated forum, then this is the place - but RESPECT the rules.

You want a free for all, where it is indeed open and minimally moderated - but obusive and offensive behaviour is fine - then go join Neo Geo forums.

Let me know what you want to do, if you choose to ignore the rules and realise this place isn't for you that's fine. Just let me know via PM or on this thread if you want to leave, I can even delete your account if you want.

Otherwise participate based on the rules you signed up to and i'll buy you a beer at the next meet.

Your call.

Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

For example what you have posted and I have quoted actually offends me and riles me up.

Ol is right here this is exactly how offense works, it's the person who is offended who gets to decide if they are offended not the offendee (if that's a word)

Casey120 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

You want a free for all, where it is indeed open and minimally moderated - but obusive and offensive behaviour is fine - then go join Neo Geo forums.

As a member from, and on behalf of the NeoGeo forums I must say that I feel offended by this off topic statement, the Neo forums are very strictly moderated and even the slightest mishap in the market forums will get you a ban or at least a lock in the war room !
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 4:49pm
No offence but are we sure abaxas isn't Mr Petty with a spell checker?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic