ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Forum Info > Site Maintenance and Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Topic ClosedPlease STOP thread dumping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iamjimmi View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:21am
Originally posted by abaxas abaxas wrote:

My point is this:
People need to chill out more and stop being offended. It is not the responsibility to everyone to walk around with kid gloves on. It is for both parties to work together and fix, not for one to point the finger and be 100% right. There is no black or white, just grey.

We should always work towards grey and allow ourselves to be wrong.

People who don't like 'thread dumping' should learn to accept it, just as those what do it, should try not to. No-one is being harmed other than those getting het up over something that simply doesn't matter.

I remember the world before moderated forums and it’s not a place that I am in any rush to return to. Rec.games.video.arcade.collecting ended up a grim place, ruined by trolls and opinionated bullies. For years I gave up on forums until I stumbled across UKVAC with its really friendly, helpful and liberal format (there are other friendly, helpful and liberal forums out there!).

But the UKVAC vibe doesn’t just happen. It needs contributions from members who sign-up to the site’s etiquette and the admins have the responsibility of shaping and encouraging that etiquette.

I think the Admins on here do a great job. They keep this forum running with the lightest of touches. When a particular irritation is becoming more prevalent, such a thread dumping, I see it as their duty to call it out. If they ignored everything that doesn’t matter, we risk ending up with a forum more akin to RGVAC – and swing by RGVAC to see how well that works in practise.
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 9:23am
I haven't had a visit today. Yet......
DMD Board Repairer
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:04am
Originally posted by iamjimmi iamjimmi wrote:

My point is this:
People need to chill out more and stop being offended. It is not the responsibility to everyone to walk around with kid gloves on. It is for both parties to work together and fix, not for one to point the finger and be 100% right. There is no black or white, just grey.

We should always work towards grey and allow ourselves to be wrong.

People who don't like 'thread dumping' should learn to accept it, just as those what do it, should try not to. No-one is being harmed other than those getting het up over something that simply doesn't matter.

I remember the world before moderated forums and it’s not a place that I am in any rush to return to. Rec.games.video.arcade.collecting ended up a grim place, ruined by trolls and opinionated bullies. For years I gave up on forums until I stumbled across UKVAC with its really friendly, helpful and liberal format (there are other friendly, helpful and liberal forums out there!).

But the UKVAC vibe doesn’t just happen. It needs contributions from members who sign-up to the site’s etiquette and the admins have the responsibility of shaping and encouraging that etiquette.

I think the Admins on here do a great job. They keep this forum running with the lightest of touches. When a particular irritation is becoming more prevalent, such a thread dumping, I see it as their duty to call it out. If they ignored everything that doesn’t matter, we risk ending up with a forum more akin to RGVAC – and swing by RGVAC to see how well that works in practise.

But that is partly your fault. Learn how to filter the crap and the world will be a better place.

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:21am
Dear God, this Parachute is a knapsack!
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:35am
You've got to have rules/law in every walk of life. Without it, it would be chaos. End of.
DMD Board Repairer
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:39am
I'm not going to get into any politics or horse sh*t as Abaxas has given us enough of that to last us many years. What I would like to say though is this - There's obvious tension between a few members which is going to happen but this is having (for me anyhow) a massively negative effect on the hobby, not that falling out with people bothers me as it doesn't, it's more about the fact that hobbies/interests are supposed to take us away from life's stress and worries, it doesn't do that anymore. I get more pissed off coming on here and reading these ridiculous posts from unintelligent morons than any pleasure that is for sure! I used to happily donate/support this place but I'm not donating hard earned money to UKVAC to read absolute and total first class sh*t!

I think more moderation would help fix what has been going on recently, don't let these pricks fill up threads with sh*t. Mods need to get a grip and stop threads escalating as every time threads are given a free run......they get locked. f**king marvellous!

I'm more than happy to donate here and enjoy UKVAC again, but at the moment.....this place sucks.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 11:43am
I agree, lets get back to talking about arcade games, and fixing them, and have less of the nonsense - which I think it what the admins have been trying to say Clap
DABYX View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:13pm
This is just my opinion but whilst I can agree on the fact people can be oversensitive about posts, (myself included) it is probably mostly because it's just text and there's no face to face body language etc.

Saying people should get over it and it's their fault is akin to the type of people who say "I'm not rude, I just say it how it is".
That what they say is in itself being rude!

Oh and,
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Dear God, this Parachute is a knapsack!
Greedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:24pm
abaxas = troll

way to deal with trolls? = Don't feed the troll!
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:32pm
Irony detector has just gone into overload.....Greedo is trolling with the troll argument.

But equally lots of people on this thread had even self trolled.

Greedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:43pm
From Urban Dictionary (your own quote tool of choice)

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark off such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

You sir could be a useable example with your sanctomoneous self important claptrap on this thread to demonstrate exactly what a troll is.   I've encountered your type on many other forums, up until I read this thread I was loving the vide, nothing but good so far - and then I come across you and your nonsense.   If the place is so sh*t why don't you do one and find another forum to spread your sh*te?  
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:57pm
@abaxas: I agree with some (not all) of what you've said. You've made your point. Some will agree, some disagree. Such is life. But there's nothing to be gained by continuing to argue your corner. You won't change anyone's mind. No one is going to read what you post and have a Eureka moment. It's ok to post something, but then to just let it go. You've put it out there. Once, twice is enough. Otherwise we end up with circular arguments- the bane of t'internets.

For the record, I've never been offended by anything I've seen on here or other forums. I do get annoyed though when the occasional nut job turns up with an agenda that runs contrary to what this forum is supposed to be about. People will have a pop. Funny how it's the nut jobs that seem to be most easily offended, whilst being offensive for a great deal of the time.
It's only original once.
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 12:57pm
I think you misunderstand. The act of calling someone a troll is in itself a trolling action.

The issue with trolls is that people are unable to differentiate between discussion and trolling and use the troll defence to cover their own inability to accept other people's ideas on a topic. Lying to oneself is never a great plan.

This place isn't sh*t, I'm just saying that people have a resposibility to cope with action and cannot blame others solely. Just like real life.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by PAC-MAN PAC-MAN wrote:

I'm not going to get into any politics or horse sh*t as Abaxas has given us enough of that to last us many years. What I would like to say though is this - <SPAN lang=EN style='FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-: EN; mso-fareast-: EN-GB; mso-bidi-: AR-SA'>There's obvious tension between a few members which is going to happen but this is having (for me anyhow) a massively negative effect on the hobby, not that falling out with people bothers me as it doesn't, it's more about the fact that hobbies/interests are supposed to take us away from life's stress and worries, it doesn't do that anymore. I get more pissed off coming on here and reading these ridiculous posts from unintelligent morons than any pleasure that is for sure! I used to happily donate/support this place but I'm not donating hard earned money to UKVAC to read absolute and total first class sh*t!

I think more moderation would help fix what has been going on recently, don't let these pricks fill up threads with sh*t. Mods need to get a grip and stop threads escalating as every time threads are given a free run......they get locked. f**king marvellous!

I'm more than happy to donate here and enjoy UKVAC again, but at the moment.....this place sucks.
</SPAN>

Hi Guys, I invariably never post on any of these 'type' of threads, but they have became so much more prevalent of late that it has really started to have a negative effect on both the forum and myself.

As such I was waiting til lunch break, to type just that on here, to find that the above echoed everything that I was going to say, so no point in repeating it.

Personally, I found this forum a few years ago, when I made the leap to get my first cab and the help I got from everyone, echoed the friendly place this was (and still is, to be fair).

However, after a hard days work, I like to unwind and used to turn to here for that, hoping to increase my knowledge and get some help with whatever issue I had, whilst trying to contribute what little I have to bring to the party.

It is disappointing that recently, 'honest' on topic threads have had a mediocre response at best, yet threads like the ones being referred to record massive 'read' figures and invoke literally dozens upon dozens of negative comments.

Is it really too much to just find a hobby that we can ALL enjoy, and participate in, without bringing angst and stress to the party?

Of course we need rules, show me any society that thrives without them, but that doesn't mean we all have to bitch all day long.

Right, enough said, I'm off to play some games.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

It is disappointing that recently, 'honest' on topic threads have had a mediocre response at best, yet threads like the ones being referred to record massive 'read' figures and invoke literally dozens upon dozens of negative comments.

Is it really too much to just find a hobby that we can ALL enjoy, and participate in, without bringing angst and stress to the party?

It's only dissapointing and negative if you let it be so. Just let it wash over you and all will be well.

It simply doesn't matter.
Greedo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:29pm

It's only dissapointing and negative if you let it be so. Just let it wash over you and all will be well.

Shush trolly McTrollface
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:29pm
Right I think this is getting silly now.    Going to hit the tit on a lock in an hour or so.   If you have something (on topic) to add please do so now.   

Second thing, if you do think someone is trolling or being less than honest in their posting please do hit the "Report Post" button under the "Post Options" icon on the top right of each post.   We do get and act on these.   If we get enough people complaining about the same thing it makes taking action that much easier!   We tread a fine line as Mods, we like to keep it open and free but this does lead to disappointing threads like this unfortunatley.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:34pm

Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

It simply doesn't matter - for you. In your opinion.

You need to start considering other people and respect they don't think like you.

You have made your point a thousand times over, there's no need to keep on sounding like a broken record. We get it, we get that is how you think and these things do not bother you, it would be nice if in return you could consider the things we say, have your own eureka moment and think to yourself 'gosh, some people think different to me'.

This thread has been kept open in the face of openness and fairness. Once I believe everyone has had their say i'll close it later.

Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

joe34 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:37pm

the mods here and the way the forum is run seems good to the majority here it seems

DanP's initial statement in this thread seems reasonable

if someone doesnt like the mood of the forum  then they could join a different forum where their personality fits in better

have a nice day arcade chums Smile

abaxas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

You need to start considering other people and respect they don't think like you.

You have made your point a thousand times over, there's no need to keep on sounding like a broken record. We get it, we get that is how you think and these things do not bother you, it would be nice if in return you could consider the things we say, have your own eureka moment and think to yourself 'gosh, some people think different to me'.

But that isn't an argument as you would also need a eureka moment for it to be valid. Which would invalidate it anyways!!!!!!!

The answer is that people need to be less sensitive while others need to be more condsiderate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic