Skin:

Point Blank gun issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Point Blank gun issues
    Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 9:17pm
Hi all.

I recently had my monitor go down so got it repaired and got it all set up and went to have a blast and the guns aren't working :(.

They make the sounds when you pull the trigger but the game isn't seeing the guns and it's both of them.

I went to calbrate but the screen looks weird. It's all white and says aim for the dot, you shoot that and then it asks you make sure the gun lines up with the dot but theres nothing there.

Can anyone give me any pointers please? Unless I'm mistaken the monitor repair would have nothing to do with the guns not working. They were working before no problem.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Cheers

John

SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:26am
I reckon you’ve loosened a cable or something when you took the monitor chassis out. Check all your connections from the game pcb to the gun pcb and vice versa. Check all connections, reseat everything.

Edited by SUPERSPRINT - 25 Jun 2020 at 7:26am
FrancoB View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FrancoB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 9:09am
Try turning the screen brightness up. Light guns dont work unless the screen is at a certain brightness. The service may have altered the brightness.
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
Thanks for the replies.

The guns or board haven't been touched so unless something has gone down theres no loose connections.

Tied making it really bright. Same result. Contrast up full.  The gun set up screen looks weird. I'll try and get a video up later.

Again, thanks for replies.

Cheers

John
SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:25am
Doesn’t hurt to reseat everything anyway, connections can go dry.
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by SUPERSPRINT SUPERSPRINT wrote:

Doesn’t hurt to reseat everything anyway, connections can go dry.

Ok thanks, will go over everything later.

Cheers

John
mathj View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 1:15pm
i had a time crisis do the same thing, turned out the monitor needed adjusting, cant remember it making it brighter or darker worked though
wanted:zilec electronics modded taito cocktail pcb's: vortex or enigma 2
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:10pm
Hi all.

So, I decided to leave it for a few days as was getting on my nerves. I had a look at PB in MAME to see what the colour bars looked like in test and they were a lot further across than mine (know it's not a great comparison doing TFT vs CRT) but adjusting these made a husge difference to the picture. My grid also looks spot on. I'm very happy with the picture, not going to get it any better.

Next I looked at the gun test in MAME and it picks up the gun straight away, if you move it the values change at the bottom (mine does nothing).

I'm pretty sure it's not monitor related now.

I have checked all voltages including the voltage from the rectifier (24v, it may have been slightly over thinking about it, maybe 28v)

Next check is voltage going to guns and test the switches although I doubt both will have the same issue.

Don't suppose there's anyone near Nottingham that could do some testing for me if i'm struggling ;)

Cheers

John
Smraedis View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smraedis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:42am
I wish I could help!
My Time Crisis 1 wasn't getting the gun signals at first, but my problem was the gun wasn't getting enough volts to it, I know that's a rare problem.

Another problem I had with it was the adaptor extension had a kink with a wire, and pushing the connectors together really hard would fix it. I'm aware Point Blank 1 has both guns going to a big connector.
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 12:57pm
does your rgb connector have a resistor across the video ground and v sync?
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by gunblade gunblade wrote:

does your rgb connector have a resistor across the video ground and v sync?

Hi. Would that resistor be on the harness or monitor board?

Cheers

John
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
on the rgb connector itself

but that would not explain guns working before

if i had a spare polo i would send it to you to test but unfortunately i do not have any atm
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:38am

on the rgb connector itself

but that would not explain guns working before

if i had a spare polo i would send it to you to test but unfortunately i do not have any atm

I may have a polo in my bas cabinet. It’s smaller 26” but should be ok. I’ll look at connector. There was an actual earth not connected but I reconnected it. I’ll do some pics.

Thanks for reply
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:52am
swap the chassis, they are compatible if its a polo 25
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:31am
Ok here's the RGB connector (please correct me if im wrong)

Here's the controller plug

The controller

And finally the earth that wasn't connected, i reconnected it.

I can't see any resistors apart from on the controller board. Am I looking in the right places?

If I did swap my monitor and it worked what would the problem likely to be?

Cheers

John
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 12:30pm
vertical sync is connected so unlikely to need the resistor mod

if it chassis related your guess is as good as mine as it will be a first
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 12:59pm

Ok next job is to break open the beast and borrow the monitor :)
Player View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Player Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 1:02pm

Just for my info, where? I assume on the monitor control board? Is it possible that the resisitor could be f&^£ed?
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 1:33pm
no idea, all i know is the chassis is running and the picture good and it would be a first if a chassis fault
but as you have same chassis on another cab its no big deal swapping them over just to prove it
gunblade View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gunblade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
also i think that resistor mod on namco and snk games was more to do with vertical hold/sync issues
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic