ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pole Position 2 Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pole Position 2 Project
    Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 6:52pm
Just got this delivered today. It's a solid cab, and the condition is fantastic considering it's age and use. Slightly unhappy, as turned up missing the back door! Oh well I'll worry about that later.

I must be the most impatient person on here, as no sooner had martin left, I was already cleaning and hoovering it out!

Unfortunately the insides aren't as good as the outside. Will need the usual AR2 full rebuild, power brick strip down etc.

It has the wrong marquee fitted, but came with the original, which fell apart as soon as I touched it. Will order new one from muddy. All parts are included, and were only removed, to powdercoat the control panel etc.

New decal has already been fitted, and the coin doors have been powder coated.

Still has the original burn free monitor. Lots of loose wires etc. I'm not even going to switch on, until I have rebuild everything, and checked all the voltages. Will post more when I get started on the insides.

kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:14pm
Superb! I have one coming in myself later this year. Had no idea Martin had one on his van this morning or I would have had a sneak :)
For sale: Gastown NOS Robotron cocktail. Wanted: Konami Aliens, Black Widow, Sigma Spiders cabaret
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 8:30pm
I've got one arriving in a few weeks, will enjoy reading this thread.
Out of room but always room for one more !
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 11:41pm
Simon, would you mind measuring yours for me (yes, yes, laugh it up fuzzballs)? Be nice to know exactly where I can put mine when it lands. Space is at a premium. :)
For sale: Gastown NOS Robotron cocktail. Wanted: Konami Aliens, Black Widow, Sigma Spiders cabaret
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 6:44am
Originally posted by kidyamlo kidyamlo wrote:

Simon, would you mind measuring yours for me (yes, yes, laugh it up fuzzballs)? Be nice to know exactly where I can put mine when it lands. Space is at a premium. :)

Dedicated Cab (PP2) : H = 67.5"   Depth = 30", Width = 24 "    Weight = ~200 lbs
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 8:15am
I really like those wee cabs ,mine just got the better of me in the end after 5 or 600 quids worth of board repairs
Have you checked the board for the usual edge connector burn and battery damage
It will be a great start if it hasn’t got any of those
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Body pop Body pop wrote:

I really like those wee cabs ,mine just got the better of me in the end after 5 or 600 quids worth of board repairs
Have you checked the board for the usual edge connector burn and battery damage
It will be a great start if it hasn’t got any of those

Easier negotiating a lasting peace agreement between Israel and Palestine than keeping these puppies running for any length of time it seems. Todd at TNT seems to have a good solution (I asked him about installing fans but he didn't believe it was really needed):

Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:03pm

Got bored today, so started on the marquee. New tube & starter fitted. Next to tackle the marquee glass. What a mess!

Not much left of it. Backing glue, stuck on glass nearly 40 years, so soaked in label remover, and used a stanley blade scraper.

After a lot of effort, and finishing off with glass cleaner and IPA, the original glass came up like new. Just need to order a new marquee, and that should be all done.

Had a look inside today, oh boy! I'm leaving that when I can be bothered.

smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm
Great cab Simon, I bought one of these style cabs with the original PP back from the dead a few years back: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html

It's one of my biggest arcade selling regrets, I can't persuade its current owner to sell it back to me, but want one bad in my collection.

Good luck with this one :)

Edited by smarty - 21 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Atari Return of the Jedi upright.
Atari Pole Position euro cab.
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by smarty smarty wrote:

Great cab Simon, I bought one of these style cabs with the original PP back from the dead a few years back: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/pole-position-refurb-11-09-14-done_topic332447_page1.html

It's one of my biggest arcade selling regrets, I can't persuade its current owner to sell it back to me, but want one bad in my collection.

Good luck with this one :)

Cheers mate. I think this one's a keeper. My partner was out when delivered, and she wasn't happy about me buying another cab, in our 1 bed flat. But when she got home, she said "I like that, more than the other one". So I think it was a good choice.
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:51am
I've got a US one coming tomorrow to try and shoehorn in, the GF doesn't even know it's coming. I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't tell the other half

Edit: Just reading through this, I got this mixed up with my operation wolf cab.

Edited by Shinydaz - 29 Sep 2018 at 9:27pm
Out of room but always room for one more !
kidyamlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

I've got a US one coming tomorrow to try and shoehorn in, the GF doesn't even know it's coming. I'm glad it's not just me who doesn't tell the other half

Better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Shinydaz Shinydaz wrote:

Great stuff. Post some pics when arrived. Good luck with the misses!
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:13pm
Tackled rebuilding & refitting the steering wheel and mechanism today.. The steering wheel was removed by previous owner, when dash powder coated.

The wheel itself was sprayed by someone over the chrome, and it it looked horrible! Luckily the guy I bought from, bought a spare wheel and parts. It was all stripped down and thrown in a oily mess at the bottom of cab!

Time to get the gunk out. New wheel fitted, all cleaned degreased, and luckily a spare encoder was supplied, as original has missing track on pcb.

Even found a new steering wheel sticker in the cab. New bolts and label fitted, and now looks good as new.

Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:04pm
Fuse block has had a serious hack done on it. 2 of the clips had burnt off.

I couldn't find a replacement, so drilled out all the remaining fuse clips, and mounted some new holders, to the existing base.

Fitted some spacers underneath, as screws on plate, would interfere with the bottom of fuse holder base.

Even matched the original spade connectors. All finished on the fuse block.

nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 9:10am
Great work. I love Pole Position.
And just like most, I am on the look out for a nice original one.
Keep up the great work!
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
Eddhorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Super work there with Marquee, Steering Wheel and Fuse Holder, top notch refurb.
Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:24pm
Something turned up today. And some free sweets! Cheers olly.

New marquee fitted

Chopper79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:27pm
Shifter stripped cleaned & refitted last weekend.

Starting to look more like it now. Will tackle the AR rebuilds next.

Also need to sort, the rusty pedal box.

Edited by Chopper79 - 27 Jun 2018 at 7:28pm
mozie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:40pm
Looks great, always a favourite of mine bitd so great to see it get some love.

Edited by mozie - 27 Jun 2018 at 7:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic