ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Pole Position II Restore

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pole Position II Restore
    Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:10pm
Hey guys,

I have finally found some time to begin restoring one of my all time favourite games, a Pole Position 2 European edition. The game has been out of action for quite some time and it needs some serious TLC!

It's definitely up there as one of the poorest condition cabs I've owned and is positively toxic with the amount of mould growing on it.

Hazmat suit ready here goes!

pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:23pm
As you can see it's going to need a bit of satin black... but my real concern is how bad the the water damage has affected the bottom of the cab.

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 7:24pm
Looks in a pretty similar state to mine when I first got it! Good luck with it, lots of work ahead but should clean up very well Smile
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
One thing with the Atari Machines, they put good solid bases in them, just a shame about the rest is chipboard.

I like seeing machines in the condition being saved, it's great people put the time into them to save it, what it's all about

Look forward to the progress
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:27pm
Part 1 Cabinet dismantling:

The bottom half of the cabinet is completely rotten, you can poke a screwdriver right through them. To preserve the original artwork I will splice and dowel new chipboard onto the existing sides and fortunately most of the original artwork is preserved and I only have to continue the red and blue lines.

Edited by pjkram - 08 May 2018 at 4:32pm
nurtuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nurtuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 7:28am
Good work.
Dam the chipboard gods.
You're Cool, The Engines Hot, The Girl Is Gorgeous, A Tankful Of Gas And An Open Road......The Rest Is Up To You!
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:13am
Oh wow, you’re brave I’d be interested to see how you get on with this, was the water damage the entire width of the cab or just parts?
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:07am
This is way beyond anything I'd even try to attempt. Good luck sir!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 10:42am
I take back what I said about mine - this is definitely not the same thing I had to deal with!
channel27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:08am
Any arcade restoration that involves a circular saw deserves a round of applause Clap

Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by channel27 channel27 wrote:

Any arcade restoration that involves a circular saw deserves a round of applause Clap

Quite. I think my jaw actually dropped when I saw (geddit?) that. Shocked 10/10 for effort, so far. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Edited by big10p - 03 May 2018 at 11:26am
pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 9:56am
Its like it's been stored knee deep in water... The chipboard has acted like a sponge and it's soft almost 1/3 of the way up the 2 sides, the rear and the front to some extent. The original vinyl is practically all that's holding it together, everything in-between is mush! So much for thinking a little bondo wound fixLOL

Thanks for the support guys Thumbs Up
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 12:18pm

There is one good thing about machines being a bit higher priced and more people after them

Ones in the state are getting saved and restored, a few years back and ones like this would of been broken up and parts sold off. So it's good to see them being brought back

Not so good for yourself when it's 5x the work you thought it would be

Don't worry though, I've got one that has damp the same, but not just the bottom area, the whole cab is like it and when I moved it, just fell apart completely, so it's a total rebuild wood wise, apart from the part of monitor/mirror inside that was MDF, because I have to remake it all though and I can't find the chipboard with same type satin finish coating I'm thinking about using 20mm Plywood, why rebuilt in chipboard when you can make it lighter and stronger and then spray it Satin Black, that way if it gets damaged you can fill, sand and spray

Keep up the good work, will be worth it in the endThumbs Up
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
pjkram View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjkram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 6:09pm
Part 2 Cabinet dismantling:

The rear section is also swollen however the plywood mountings can be reused and I can template from the original one to match it up.

A cut through view of pedal housing!

Bottom of cabinet removed.

and the front section...

Just the other side to remove (which I don't have any pictures of!) and then finally onto rebuildingSmile

Cabinet Rebuild: 

Here's the pedal housing:

The front panel cutouts were copied from the old panel. 

I used screws to help hold and tighten the cabinet while the wood glue set and some small fixings similar to the old staples.

I had to plane a little bit of the artwork to help blend the existing art to the new chipboard. 

With a little body filler to smooth the transition.

The side panels are held with dowels and wood glue and also reinforced with plywood strips to give more surface area to the glue. Overall the cabinet feels very rigid and the front panel helps to hold it all firm. I routed the T-molding grooves and installed some new leg levellers and T-nuts for the control panel.

It was straight forward to template the existing rear section with the new piece. I also rebated the groove for the rear door to fit.

Painting the cabinet:

I used high build primer and filled any imperfections with body filler before flattening and applying the new paint in stages to match up to the existing. 

Front panel with routed speaker grill recess that will allow the speaker grill to sit flush.

Now with new vinyl.

Masking out the red and blue lines was next and I had some paint tester pots colour matched for touching in the red and blue at B&Q.

The black triangles were also painted.

Inside and outsides of cabinet have been sprayed satin black.

More to follow Beer
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 6:33pm
Looking very good indeed.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey kong upright; Centipede upright.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:00am
Impressive work Thumbs Up
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:19am
Looks fantastic, you've done a great job!

I know this is a minor detail, but wondered how the black vinyl on the inside of the cabinet blends with the black spray paint? 

channel27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:36am
Very impressive!
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:37am
Extreme resto. Great to see.
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Atari Return of the Jedi upright.
Atari Pole Position euro cab.
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 12:43pm
Your making light work of that, I'd be nowhere near that stage, great work.
Out of room but always room for one more !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic