ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Postern Cabinets Driver (OutRun wannabe)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Postern Cabinets Driver (OutRun wannabe)
    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:29pm
Back in September I acquired this cabinet from prof5 who kindly offered it to me after a wanted post.

No game / guts except for a 21" PC monitor shoehorned in, and an APAC with the controls hooked up for MAME conversion. Tested it quickly with an old laptop:

De-cased PC monitor:

Shortly after I began stripping it down:

MDF not the wisest choice for base material:

Never heard of Postern Cabinets but nice to know when it was made & by who:

Stripped and cleaned:

Edited by minwah - 16 Jan 2020 at 3:21pm
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
First job was to make a new base:

Old vs new (not quite finished, had to get some more timber):

Main frame done:

Top part old vs new (used plywood & timber vs MDF):

minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:53pm
I had a 21" Hantarex monitor doing nothing so decided to undo some modifications done to fit the PC monitor in:

Machine screws are to fix a piece of steel angle under the shelf. Cabinet designed for 19" monitor so the extra weight of a 21" was bowing the shelf:

New piece made for arcade monitor to mount to (EDIT: forgot to mention...I lowered the position of the screen compared to the original position to allow for a 'marquee' to be part of the bezel art later on):

Edited by minwah - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:07am
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:01pm
The side panels had some aluminium repair panels either side of the control panel (see first pic in thread) so decided to remove and have a look at what lay beneath...one side was fine, this on the other:

Removed the t-moulding and filled:

Decided to keep the repair panels as they were well done, and otherwise not able to get the finish to match the woodgrain, so this will be hidden:

Edited by minwah - 13 Jan 2020 at 10:01pm
Carvaletingpro View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carvaletingpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:11pm
Nice work. Its always good to see mdf bases been fixed up. I have 2 of these but none driver versions.

minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:14pm
In between doing the above I was also stripping, cleaning & rebuilding some of the hardware, starting with pedals:

Note mechanisms fitted with microswitches:

WIP:

Mounting plate after paint stripping...all rust was sanded off after this:

End result including polished pedals & stainless carriage bolts. Also finished the base top part, now covered with grey rubber matting, and polished up the original metal front part (some old war wounds still visible):

I seem to have not taken pics of the mechanisms 'after' but they were stripped, cleaned and relubed etc. Also, switched to use pots. Re-assembling the accelerator pedal was fiddly!

Edited by minwah - 13 Jan 2020 at 10:17pm
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by Carvaletingpro Carvaletingpro wrote:

Nice work. Its always good to see mdf bases been fixed up. I have 2 of these but none driver versions.

Cool, would like to see pics of those if you have any? Don't think I've seen this type of cabinet at all before.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carvaletingpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:22pm
What are those pedals off.
My ridge racer has them and i know they arent the correct pedals.

I guessed they replaced the original pedals, on Ridge Racer because of the common damage caused on the footplate, which is very weak. Its secured by wooden dowels to either side, which eventually snap off causing the footplate too cave in
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carvaletingpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:28pm
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:31pm

What are those pedals off.
My ridge racer has them and i know they arent the correct pedals.

Just some variation of Happ pedals. I assume they were on this machine from new, can't see any evidence of otherwise. Not sure what dedicated games used them.
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 10:32pm

Cool thanks!
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:17am
Great work Steve
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:53am
Looking a whole lot better.

And good choice swapping the pedal switches to pots.. I'm sure that must have been pain, but it will pay dividends..
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:40am
Some of the company's just used a local cabinet maker to do the cabs for them from what I've found

The Harry Levy and Astra stuff are made at the same place, I forget the name now but 2 machines I restored both had this company name on a label like that and they just make the wood part of it, Be interesting to find some more info on the company and what else they made

Nice job on the baseSmile looks like the condition my Op Wolf was, had to do the same with that

A must have cab in any collection is some sort of Driving Machine, looking good mateThumbs Up
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:48am

Quick google and

Postern Cabinet Co Ltd
UNIT 14-15, CURRAN ROAD, CARDIFF, CF10 5NE
Dissolved

This is the other one

WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
Eddhorse View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:56am
Great work Steve, satisfying pictures :)
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by iamjimmi iamjimmi wrote:

And good choice swapping the pedal switches to pots.. I'm sure that must have been pain, but it will pay dividends..

It was easy actually...I think someone modded the medals and added the microswitches (or maybe they are designed for both), so I just removed them and added pots to the correct holes. I have another similar set of pedals with pots in my spares so I had those to refer to (and pinch the pots off of!)

Edited by minwah - 14 Jan 2020 at 9:03am
minwah View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minwah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Some of the company's just used a local cabinet maker to do the cabs for them from what I've found

Interesting, makes sense! This cabinet is decent, I'd almost say overengineered in places it seems! Quite heavys as there is a lot of wood in it, some of it seems a bit unnecessary.

Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Quick google and
Postern Cabinet Co Ltd
UNIT 14-15, CURRAN ROAD, CARDIFF, CF10 5NE
Dissolved

I did find that but said the company started in 2001. I am not sure if that information is incorrect, or if it is a different compant with the same name...
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:11am
You never know with info on the internet, so much is wrong or out of date. Could of started up again under similar name

I've got some pedals that have Switch on but also has space to fix pot too so I think they did make some of them universal type so you can choose, good idea I thoughtSmile
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:46am
Yep it seems there were a number of cabinet makers in Cardiff. Two of my Sega cabs are manufactured by Craftbeau Cabinets there. Not sure if they also assembled the electronics or just dealt with the woodwork. 

Lovely job on the restoration. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic