Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Powering down arcade machines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Powering down arcade machines
    Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:22pm
Hi all just wanted to know what the safest way to power a maxhine down would be? Just to turn off the mains switch?
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:22am
Is there another way? Tongue
grobda View Drop Down
"Look at the size of that thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:36am
sporadically obsessed with this sh*t
Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 12:40am
I have a special way of switching them on. I flick the switch, close my eyes, say a little prayer, then open one eye at a time
Hunting for a pole position !!
John Bennett View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 9:42am
A swift death by switch is probably better than a lingering, painful one by fitting some sort of brown-out contraption (e.g variac).
ianski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:52am
I always switch off the ones I can easily reach the power switches for first.
It puts me in a good habit when powering on, as those ones always get switched on last.

It's less of a problem with arcade machines than amplifiers or PA systems, 
you get a lovely loud thump when forgetting to switch the speakers / amp off first instead of the devices attached to it. I've nearly blown speakers this way.

Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
obcd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2017 at 10:56am

Arcade machines are designed to survive a power down by just removing the mains.

Mame based machines are a different story. Usually, nothing is done to avoid corruption of the drive when the power is removed. In such case, it's better to properly shutdown the operating system before you remove the power. Specially raspberry pi based systems are known to like to corrupt their sd card if you just power cycle. Some people have no problems at all, and others face corruption pretty much every 5 power cycles. It depends upon the brand of sd card and probably also depends upon the used power supply. If you have several arcades, it's probably a good practice to turn them on one after the other, as the inrush current can be up to 10 times the normal operating current. (There is a current spike at powerup as all capacitors need to be charged up to their operating voltage.) Since you ask for powerdown, it's probably irrelevant.
musashi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:09am
Thanks for the advice all much appreciated :)
My mortal kombat 2 machine has a separate power switch its kind of like a button the needs to remain pressed in to stay on so has been cellotaped by the previous owner with duck tape. I'm sure that switch isn't meant to operate that way? 
As soon as its out of storage I can include pics which may be a while.
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:14am
Replace that switch.   It shouldn't have a momentary switch there, someone has bodged it in.   You can get replacement switches from Maplin for a couple of quid.   

Personally I always power them down from the mains plug side, I've seen some hack jobs where the power switch on the machine will only power down part of the machine (say the main PCB) and leave part of it still powered (say the monitor).   I like the 100% positive it's off feeling :)

Dan
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:24am
Originally posted by musashi musashi wrote:

My mortal kombat 2 machine has a separate power switch its kind of like a button the needs to remain pressed in to stay on so has been cellotaped by the previous owner with duck tape. I'm sure that switch isn't meant to operate that way? 

Well I've been working on a Sega machine latley and for some reason the power switch in the front metal plate and been removed, put inside the machine behind where it should be and taped up. So I was assuming it was broken and had to be taped in to make machine stay on, but when I untaped it and tested with a meter its working perfect. only other thing is the maybe kids switched it off so they removed so they can't but happy its all good

I would guess similar, maybe the switch is faulty. Its worth checking these things though just for peace of mind you won't damage them turning off.

The machines I work on for my Job, they have a rocker power switch with a label next to it saying DO NOT USE LOL  so when its crashed and they have hard wired it to the wallplate what you suppost to do, the staff often dare not touch it, one did the other week I assume and then the machine wouldn't power back up, had the same happen to me a week later and just need to switch it off again and back on but I bet they were worried lol

It probably says that on it because you should do shutdown on them from menu but sometimes you cant
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
musashi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:52pm
hillarious! LOL
Fuzzy View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:05pm

Does the switch look like this?

If so, it's an interlock switch, designed to automatically power the down the cab when a door is open/off.

You can bypass this by pulling the switch OUT instead of pushing it in.
jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:08pm

Is the back door missing from the machine? One of the reasons for taping the switch down is when the back door is missing. The switch is activated when the door goes on (door closes the switch - power enabled). No door and the switch stays open (no power). Apply duct tape to the switch and the switch remains closed (power enabled).

It's there deliberately to turn the power off if you are messing around in the back close to the monitor and you had forgotten to power off, or someone else came along, etc.
musashi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:09pm
yes! that is the switch exactly. Do you know if that is a custom piece or was it an original feature of the MK2 machine at the time?
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by jonhughes jonhughes wrote:

Apply duct tape to the switch and the switch remains closed (power enabled).

Or you can save yourself some duct tape and just pull the switch out. Tongue

Edited by Fuzzy - 25 May 2017 at 1:17pm
musashi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:13pm
ok so its a safety feature thanks for that, I did remove the tape and put the back door on again, the switch does not power on as the button/nob does not go in far enough (no innuendo intended here peeps) I think that is why the previous user used duck tape. 
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:15pm

yes! that is the switch exactly. Do you know if that is a custom piece or was it an original feature of the MK2 machine at the time?

It's a standard safety feature on most arcade cabinets.

Put the door back on (or pull the switch out - that's why it's shaped the way it is - so you can get a grip with your fingers) and the power will be restored.

I wouldn't recommend touching ANY of the electricals inside the machine if you don't know what you're doing, and the most important bit of advice is be aware that certain parts of THE MONITOR hold a substantial amount of charge (20,000v+) even when switched off / unplugged - do not go anywhere near it if you do not know what you're doing, and for goodness sake don't leave the back door off with children or other unsuspecting people around.

Edited by Fuzzy - 25 May 2017 at 1:16pm
musashi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musashi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 2:36pm
thanks fuzzy I am a responsible person and the machine is not located anywhere public / accessible area.
The only thing I will be doing is changing a pcb over to check whether the colour issue is with my pcb or the monitor as recommend by another member.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic