Forum Name: Auctions & Ebay Stuff
Forum Description: Advertise your auctions
URL: http://www.ukvac.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=363457
Printed Date: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:00am

Topic: £450 very tidy Space Harrier Deluxe in Glasgow
Posted By: muddymusic
Subject: £450 very tidy Space Harrier Deluxe in Glasgow
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:03pm
Apparently this is in the Glasgow Barrowlands market right now for £450, not a wind up.

-------------
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com

Replies:
Posted By: Body pop
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:09pm
I was just looking at that on j+
Stunning ! Proper grail

-------------

Posted By: Layer
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:33pm
At least, it looks in good conditions.

Posted By: big10p
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:41pm
Also saw this over the road. If it's still there at that price, I'd be amazed. It looks in wonderful condition.

Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 6:14pm
Ah, it has become clear which one this is after talking to some other forum guys. It will very likely be missing the motor drive board but otherwise be very good.

-------------

Posted By: J69
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:05pm
Surely thats worth £1500+?

Surprised someone isn't on the way in a van

Posted By: Steveylou
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:26pm
I want it I want it I want it I want it I want it...

I’ll be amazed it that’s stills there. If I wasn’t hundreds of miles away I’d be there in a heartbeat.

Posted By: iamjimmi
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:29pm
Double checked my calendar... def not April 1st today...

Posted By: Equites
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:29pm
No good without the elusive motor board.

-------------
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.

Posted By: Bensonrad
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Ah, it has become clear which one this is after talking to some other forum guys. It will very likely be missing the motor drive board but otherwise be very good.

...one that originally started out at Arcade in the I.O.W?? 

-------------
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs

Posted By: jase38
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:41pm
Looks awesome, I'd be down there if it wasn't so bloody far.

-------------
http://planetharriers.blogspot.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 7:44pm
For £450 I’d buy it just to sit in it while playing the 3DS version.

Bloody love that cab

Posted By: SUPERSPRINT
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:53pm
Would it be unfair to ask Martin to collect it from the market knowing it’s surrounded by tons of stuff.

Posted By: virtvic
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:44pm
It won't be there by now...

-------------
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!

Posted By: Bods
Date Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:28pm
Can you imagine it if this was on bargin hunt, there filming in glasgow and looking at everything around it and picking up stuff to try and make money on, loads of arcade nuts shouting at the screen, seriously your looking at a chair when you have a rare space harrier cab right in front of you and not even a mention

People phoning the bbc, where was that market, is that machine for sale still. Would be crazy

Amazes me why people still sell things like it local when you can advertise worldwide. Wonder what non working SH Deluxe fetch now if paperboys over £1200 lol

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Posted By: 2huwman
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:16am
Originally posted by Bensonrad Bensonrad wrote:

...one that originally started out at Arcade in the I.O.W?? 

If it is from Arcadia in Ryde, then it really should be reunited with the Enduro and Outrun DLXs from there. It would be the kind thing to do. Coincidentally, I could help with that... LOL

Posted By: Bods
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:42am
Where did the hang-on deluxe end up, was tempted with that when said they could possibly deliver it to me but i was hanging on for the limited one

-------------
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space

Posted By: 2huwman
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Bods Bods wrote:

Where did the hang-on deluxe end up, was tempted with that when said they could possibly deliver it to me but i was hanging on for the limited one

I'm not sure - it sold to someone and then took a fair while to be collected. I should have got it as well as the other two, but didn't have the space at that point. I was initially offered it for £200! The original monitor had been replaced with an LCD, and the PCB was broken. 

Posted By: jase38
Date Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:37am
I think Bristol Martin mentioned he got the Hang-On.

-------------
http://planetharriers.blogspot.co.uk" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: clarkey
Date Posted: 12 May 2018 at 10:18pm
Does anyone know if it is still there?

This is my absolute grail cab and I have been searching the UK for one for years. I will happily make the trip to go and get it.

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:02am
Originally posted by clarkey clarkey wrote:

Does anyone know if it is still there?

This is my absolute grail cab and I have been searching the UK for one for years. I will happily make the trip to go and get it.

It has been sold...

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:39pm
?? someone on here I hope so I can at least watch the resto ?? ?

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:55pm

?? someone on here I hope so I can at least watch the resto ?? ?
Didn't look much to restore, from the pic I saw. Looked in great shape. Presumably not working, though.

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:06pm
It had already been restored, I’m sure it’s written up in the restorations section.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:10pm

It had already been restored, I’m sure it’s written up in the restorations section.

Seems strange for it to end up there then if its was in the hands of a collector. Do we know who got it?

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:16pm

Seems strange for it to end up there then if its was in the hands of a collector. Do we know who got it?

Just what I was thinking. A very odd place for it to end up.

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:14pm
It's restored and it was SOLD by an auction house for £450?

I wonder how much the poor old last owner got for it from them?

-------------

Check out the podcast

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:24pm
It did look really mint .any links to the restoration thread ?

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:11pm
Time to come clean...

I knew it had been sold because I had managed to buy it. Deal was done yesterday first thing but collected today.

Truth be told, I am quite terrified at the prospect of owning this - it is way bigger and more complicated than any other cab I have ever owned. But whilst it is a bit a cliché - this is my grail. I have a pool table in the games room - and have always said the only machine that I would consider replacing it with would be SH Deluxe. Many happy and poignant memories associated with this game.

As for the condition... well not sure what the background is but it has suffered fairly badly in the last few years. All the PCBs are missing. The entire top panel of the base is missing. The metal work is damaged in places and decals on the base are damaged. The cab artwork is nice, but the photos hide a number of flaws. And the side where the photo was taken has more damage.

So all in all... delighted with this purchase but there is a lot to do to get it working and cosmetically ship shape. And a lot to do before I can get it into the house!

Many thanks to Neil for his help today...

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:30pm
Oh... and as a side note...how come nobody spotted this little gem:

C'mon Vacers... I expected more from you guys!

An no... I am not talking about the kids toy in the foreground...

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:37pm
Nice get, well done for saving it, oooh a cocktail hiding away there, at Atari one perhaps? centipede?

-------------
Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Small Cabaret Project Cab, Exterminator set up. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs

Posted By: Sinisteve
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:45pm
That’s awesome Jimmy

Posted By: tin
Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:49pm
That is awesome but NO boards?

-------------
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!

Posted By: cNp
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:03am
Great pick up, glad it's in safe hands :)

Is that an Asteroids cocktail then? Get that too?

-------------
Wanted: SEGA Power Drift PCB, Asteroids cabaret, Vartek Kadet cabs

Posted By: neil1637
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:17am
Good morning guys. So to follow on from Jim's post, I can confirm that the cocktail is an Atari Asteroids, cosmetically not too bad, internally things looked reasonable, no glass top but everything else was present underneath all the dust.

Suffice to say it was rescued and now with me.

It was an interesting day to say the least and will get a full write up on my blog when I get chance.

-------------
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:19am
...iamdarkhorse...

-------------

Check out the podcast

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:25am
Originally posted by tin tin wrote:

That is awesome but NO boards?

No boards and no wiring loom Cry

Not sure what else is missing yet - these were the obvious omissions....

Posted By: cNp
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:18am
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

Good morning guys. So to follow on from Jim's post, I can confirm that the cocktail is an Atari Asteroids, cosmetically not too bad, internally things looked reasonable, no glass top but everything else was present underneath all the dust.

It was an interesting day to say the least and will get a full write up on my blog when I get chance.

I put new glass and a repro underlay on mine as the top was quite scratched but I do still have the original glass if you'd like it?  It's not terrible by any means just lots of scratches all over, fine when playing just not if it was going to be in the living room!  I can bring it to Revival, no charge.  If you can make use of it even if you swap it later then that's fine... hand it back at another meet in the future :)

-------------
Wanted: SEGA Power Drift PCB, Asteroids cabaret, Vartek Kadet cabs

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:23am
Originally posted by cNp cNp wrote:

Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

I put new glass and a repro underlay on mine as the top was quite scratched but I do still have the original glass if you'd like it?  It's not terrible by any means just lots of scratches all over, fine when playing just not if it was going to be in the living room!  I can bring it to Revival, no charge.  If you can make use of it even if you swap it later then that's fine... hand it back at another meet in the future :)

Yes yes yes. PLEASE! Unfortunately I cannot get to revival but i know a man who can....

I'll DM you over on Twitter.  Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

-------------
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/" rel="nofollow - https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:43am
That’s a brilliant pick up jim !
I’m glad it went someone on here ,you will get the parts eventually hopefully
My best arcade memory’s centre around a deluxe too .looking forward to watching it progress
Good luck with it ,and also to Neil with the almost hidden asteroids .very cool

-------------

Posted By: Vamino
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:42am
Good job guys. Smile

If you can source a loom then it shouldn't be too difficult to make a new one with a bit of effort.
Finding the boards may be difficult, but who knows what kind of stuff people have hoarded away in their stash piles!

-------------
Insert Coin[s]

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:52am
Glad to see someone was able to go and get this, the cocktail table was a nice bonus too.

F*ck knows what's happened to it since it was last seen, it was a near mint fully working cab not that long ago. Amazing what can get damaged and removed in the space of it changing hands a few times. It's going to be tricky to replace some bits but this stuff is all out there somewhere, and when it's needed to get a nice cab working again it's always amazing what people have got kept in their spares waiting for that special cab.

The drive board is going to be the tough one, but it's a pretty simple thing, and given all the crazy complex customs and stuff people are recreating now it might be time to think about making a batch of brand new drive boards, I'm sure all the DLX owners would be happy of a spare if they are that hard to replace.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:00pm
Starting work on something to replace the drive boards is something I've been giving thought to for a while. Would be challenging but probably worth it in the end.

-------------
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!

Posted By: karlcdoe
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

No good without the elusive motor board.

I realise we now know(?) it's missing more than the driver board but I would have bought it at that price!  In fact I was on the verge of asking my Scotland based boss to drive over there when I started reading this Smile

TBH the driver board is (relatively) simple and does look reproducable as long as someone has dumped the code from the proms -I haven't (yet) but they are marked 82s153 underneath so I guess I should be able to *read* them with a normal eprom prorammer and adapter if they are not already online.

I reckon if both the motors/clutches, transformers and associated worm gears and pulleys were missing that would add up to a loy of £ though. The rest of the logic boards and much of the loom could be harvested from an enduro racer, if one were so inclined.

Deal of the month on the face of it, well done.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:12pm
Jimmi - you have a pm that may be helpful...

-------------

Check out the podcast

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:45pm
Thanks Vic... just replied.

Hopefully see you at revival!

Posted By: Brettster
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 12:47pm
If you need any help in getting Mame set up on it with motion until you get the proper board I may be able to help based on my Afterburner exploits !!

-------------
Looking for More Space!!

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:45pm
TBH I'm surprised it was still there for another week after word got out.

Fantastic buy! Congrats Jimmi. Really glad it has gone to someone on here. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Jodo
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Mark Haysman has good dumps of the PROMs.

-------------
REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.
Space Harrier Arcade World Record Holder!!
Twin Galaxies Official Score: 42,384,290

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by Brettster Brettster wrote:

If you need any help in getting Mame set up on it with motion until you get the proper board I may be able to help based on my Afterburner exploits !!

Thanks.. your after burner setup was on my mind as an interim soln!

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Steveylou Steveylou wrote:

TBH I'm surprised it was still there for another week after word got out.

Fantastic buy! Congrats Jimmi. Really glad it has gone to someone on here. Thumbs Up

The market is only open at weekends... i got the deal done very early on Saturday!

It might take some time this one, but it will be open house when it's brought back to life!

Really appreciate all the help offered so far...

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Jodo Jodo wrote:

Thanks Jodo... i suspect i might be pesterng you for lots of advice on this one.

Let me apologise for being a pain in advance!!!

Posted By: dj_yt
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:25pm
Well done on taking the initiative to pick the thing up! I would have been terrified of hiring a van and then turning up to find it gone.

£450 is a great price. A fully working boardset should only set you back around £300 on a good day. 

For the wiring loom, you can buy all the connectors you need and build it (boring but possible), or even pinch parts from Enduro Racer / OutRun / Super Hang-On / Hang-On. 

I wish I had the space for a collection of Sega full size cabs... 

-------------
http://reassembler.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Reassembler Blog

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 4:57pm

great, but are they available online?

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by dj_yt dj_yt wrote:

For the wiring loom, you can buy all the connectors you need and build it (boring but possible).

Likely down to me being a tad ocd, but I love building looms. Find it quite therapeutic. Each wire the exact length etc. Put on some music, open the wine and crimp away!

-------------

Posted By: Equites
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by karlcdoe karlcdoe wrote:

TBH the driver board is (relatively) simple and does look reproducable as long as someone has dumped the code from the proms -I haven't (yet) but they are marked 82s153 underneath so I guess I should be able to *read* them with a normal eprom prorammer and adapter if they are not already online.

I really don’t think it’s as simple as all that.

As I recall, someone, maybe Jodo had their motor board refurbished by Mark at Retroclinic. I remember him going to some lengths to salvage the large custom which had corroded pins by soldering it to a turned pin socket which was successful.

I’m sure Mark would have just ‘reburned’ a fresh one if it was possible.

Assuming the custom chips code was even available, who will reproduce the PCB and where would you find a donor.

The last motor board which was ‘loaned’ was never returned to the poor guy who failed to replace it.

I remember even Ol Alpha1 failed to find a replacement reaching as far as KLOV.

I mean really, without the motor board it’s just a very large paper weight.

-------------
Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:06pm
Worst case you can mame it and play it without the motor

Posted By: Ace`
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:17pm
This is Jodo's pic

Looks like just the customs / proms? would be an issue as the outrun motor pcb looks identical just with less parts populated.

-------------
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic353880_post968941.html" rel="nofollow - Wanted PCBs and Parts

http://notinmame.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Not In Mame

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:57pm
Congrats glad someone on here got it, will look forward to watching your progress. Will you be doing a restore thread?

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

This is Jodo's pic

Looks like just the customs / proms? would be an issue as the outrun motor pcb looks identical just with less parts populated.

If that what the famous drive boards look like... well I have one of those....!

I didn't actually do any research to see what it looked like, I just expected it to be missing! And when the main PCB compartment was stripped bare, I figured that must be where it was housed....!

The machine is in storage 40 miles away - so this is from a photo taken yesterday... but that looks like the drive board right???

But before I get carried away... I am a bit confused about the background. If this is the machine that had the "borrowed" drive board... did the original owner ever get it back?

As much as it will pain me, I can't keep it if it belongs to someone else.

Can anyone enlighten me to the background (by PM if you don't want to go public)?

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:59pm
That's the drive board all right!

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:10pm
The owner of the stolen motor drive board is this guy. He is still active. I would drop him a PM to check if this motor drive PCB is his:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=24138" rel="nofollow - https://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=24138

I’m happy to do it if you are not a member or don’t want to sign up. Just PM me :)

-------------
REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:17pm

The owner of the stolen motor drive board is this guy. He is still active. I would drop him a PM to check if this motor drive PCB is his:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=24138" rel="nofollow - https://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=24138

I’m happy to do it if you are not a member or don’t want to sign up. Just PM me :)

Thanks Jodo... I am long time lurker on KLOV so I will drop him a PM....

Posted By: Ace`
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:26pm
If it is the stolen motor pcb be sure to gets those proms dumped before returning it. LOL

-------------
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic353880_post968941.html" rel="nofollow - Wanted PCBs and Parts

http://notinmame.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Not In Mame

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:32pm
Cool :) He’s also on Jammaplus and recounted the incident here. So glad the cab is now with a much better new owner :)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24025&PN=1&title=space-harrier-motor-control-board" rel="nofollow - http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24025&PN=1&title=space-harrier-motor-control-board

-------------

Posted By: ben76
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:40pm

Cool :) He’s also on Jammaplus and recounted the incident here. So glad the cab is now with a much better new owner :)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24025&PN=1&title=space-harrier-motor-control-board" rel="nofollow - http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24025&PN=1&title=space-harrier-motor-control-board
on a side note... I love it that Nitrus is posting there bits saying it's not right.... That twat still owes me a circus Charlie pcb....

- Ben

Posted By: John Bennett
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:54pm
I could be missing something, but glancing at that PCB, it looks more time consuming than complicated.
You'd imagine you could figure out how the PALs work with an oscilloscope/logic analyser (has it got some form of pulsed speed control in there?). It doesn't do a huge amount, I take it (control a few brushed DC motors with limit switches?)

I'm quite familiar with Altium for PCBs - seems there's a free version for open-source projects:
https://circuitmaker.com/#why_circuitmaker" rel="nofollow - https://circuitmaker.com/#why_circuitmaker

If anyone fancied a group project, I'm happy to make up some schematic symbols. Can also help get others up-to-speed.
I work with motor controllers, so I'm sure we could find work-arounds for any unavailable components (but keeping the basic, steam-powered triac circuit ). You could tailor the PCB to look near-identical to the original.

Is there any clearer schematics than the Space Harrier docs?
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/Space%20Harrier%20%5BSchematics%5D%20%5BEnglish%5D.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/Space%20Harrier%20%5BSchematics%5D%20%5BEnglish%5D.pdf

-------------
http://www.philwip.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:41pm
I'm passively familiar with the SH "borrowed" motor control board story, I read I think all the threads and saw the geezer's website a long long time ago and understood what happened, although the memory fades now and I CBA reading it all again to refresh the memory.

What I'm confused about is that the borrowed board ended up forming part of a full working machine right? How did that end up being this shell that's discussed here? It would surprise me greatly if they turned out to be the same machine - and even more so if in fact that machine did get stripped yet that one board happened to be one that was not stripped - especially knowing it's value?!

Or is there something that's not being talked about?

Just interested that's all. I remember it being an intriguing story that may have taken another strange turn.

-------------

Posted By: Alpha1
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 10:45pm
Can we have unequivocal proof it's the same machine please before someone gives up a motor drive board.

-------------
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Equites Equites wrote:

I really don’t think it’s as simple as all that.

As I recall, someone, maybe Jodo had their motor board refurbished by Mark at Retroclinic. I remember him going to some lengths to salvage the large custom which had corroded pins by soldering it to a turned pin socket which was successful.

I’m sure Mark would have just ‘reburned’ a fresh one if it was possible.

Assuming the custom chips code was even available, who will reproduce the PCB and where would you find a donor.

The last motor board which was ‘loaned’ was never returned to the poor guy who failed to replace it.

I remember even Ol Alpha1 failed to find a replacement reaching as far as KLOV.

I mean really, without the motor board it’s just a very large paper weight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no customs on the motor drive board?

It has a couple of proms (EDIT: I suppose in my haste I was thinking of 82s123's and this is a similarly numbered but perhaps not similarly functioning 82s153)  so unless they are locked via security fuses hopefully an adaptor could be made to read them as JROK covered it in a thread for another game using the same prom some time back although he went the extra step and rewrote it for a GAL. http://www.jrok.com/hardware/ff_pls153/foodfight_pls153_to_GAL.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.jrok.com/hardware/ff_pls153/foodfight_pls153_to_GAL.htm

The rest of the board is
(1)some 74 series logic
(2)some opto isolators
(3)a power supply and, I think control for the motor clutches
(4)some triacs that switch on for the correct part of a 70vac waveform to make the motors go in the desired direction.

I believe the pots that read pitch and yaw are actually read by the main pcb so that's one less thing to implement...

Not simple but not impossible.

Anyway, the good news is the cab does have the motor board :-)

Edit(2):
So in short: who has a device that can read/dump 82s153s as pevious (unverified) forum posts suggest the device cannot be protected so a good dump of both pals made freely available to all seems like a good thing to me.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:03pm

What a saga...

I dropped him a quick note on J+ too....

And thanks for advice Ol (Aplha1)...

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

I could be missing something, but glancing at that PCB, it looks more time consuming than complicated.
You'd imagine you could figure out how the PALs work with an oscilloscope/logic analyser (has it got some form of pulsed speed control in there?). It doesn't do a huge amount, I take it (control a few brushed DC motors with limit switches?)

I'm quite familiar with Altium for PCBs - seems there's a free version for open-source projects:
https://circuitmaker.com/#why_circuitmaker" rel="nofollow - https://circuitmaker.com/#why_circuitmaker

If anyone fancied a group project, I'm happy to make up some schematic symbols. Can also help get others up-to-speed.
I work with motor controllers, so I'm sure we could find work-arounds for any unavailable components (but keeping the basic, steam-powered triac circuit ). You could tailor the PCB to look near-identical to the original.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/Space%20Harrier%20%5BSchematics%5D%20%5BEnglish%5D.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/S-Z/Space%20Harrier%20%5BSchematics%5D%20%5BEnglish%5D.pdf

Sounds like a great plan. There are 3 limit switches for each motor, i don't know that it does proper speed control, maybe someone else can chip in.  The only schematics I can find are those horrid low res ones :-/ Still, better than nowt. I'm not sure how many harrier peeps out there fancy a driver board but I would likely be in the market for a 'spare' and there might be some Outrun people interested too as Outrun is apparently a space harrier board but only populated to conrol one motor and presumably different proms.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:20pm
I suspect the customs PROMs are doing some simple form of PWM - there's a 4 bit speed signal going in, alongside a 4bit counter (plus a couple of limit signals). Sort of thing you'd do in a PIC chip (along with much of the other logic), although it'd be nice to keep it authentic.

-------------
http://www.philwip.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:42pm
If this is the same cab then it will have a vibrant red felt seat comprised of two pieces of felt as the owner couldn’t find a single piece large enough to cover the seat; you should be able to see the join. The flight stick also power coated the wrong colour (it should be gunmetal metallic) but again he couldn’t be bothered getting a match.

The cab was bought by a (then) non-member from him for £3,000 and taken to Scotland where it was stored in the buyers flat until that same buyer tried to sell it on here, which didn’t work as the stolen drive PCB prevented it. It would seem the owner sold it locally in Scotland to somebody off forum, where ultimately it ended up at the Glasgow market.

I will see if I have any pictures but if not the cab was featured in a two page spread in Retrogamer, so there will be ways of matching it to that picture set in the magazine. I’ve seen this cab many times in person (don’t care to go there again) and everything fits to it being the same machine.

-------------

Posted By: Friedgoat
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 11:47pm
Jesus, reading about that stolen motor board... Horrible. How can people like that live with themselves.
Good luck with the repair!

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:13am
If it is that cab, it started out at Arcadia in the Isle of Wight.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:24am
Not beyond the realms of possibility that he moved all the working boards to a different machine and sold this one with the stolen broken motor board

Posted By: Horsey
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:46pm
I'm glad I put up this find on Jammaplus now. Was going to put it here but was having trouble with my sign in.

Happy days someone got it. I think everyone thought it would be gone so no one bothered to go get it ??

I would be sticking a pi in it just now so you can at least sit in it and play sh while you source stuff ??

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:22pm
Thanks for the original post Horsey - just let me know if you hear of the game boards or base panels surfacing!

It does sound like it might be the same machine - the flight stick is certainly grey, not a gun metal metallic.

Anyway, let's see what the story is from the guy that lost his board. Looks like he logs onto KLOV every few months so might be a little while. I will try to get to the bottom of this and do the right thing.

But either way, I would def be up for a replacement or spare driver board. And given the rarity I suspect everyone with a deluxe harrier or outrun would want a board too. I'm no techie but just let me know if there is anything I can do to help make this happen.

I would love to see  the Retro Game article - which issue was it from? I have a the Space Harrier issue 145 but I don't think the deluxe in this article is the same one.

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 9:18pm
A bit silly, reading the thread about the board thief wanting his details removed. His board username is the same as his car business (and is on his youtube videos)

Anyway, it would be great to do some group development, so I'm downloading circuit maker to have a play. I'll put some bits on the schematic to get it started.
I think a lot of the board may be the turn-on control for the triacs to vary the speed - it seems to feed in the AC to sync with it (and set the turn-on angle). So not too worried about the PAL - either we find a dump, or we do our own at a later date via deduction and scoping (I think it's just a counter/compare for the phase duration of the triac to let the CPU vary the speed.)

What's better though?
1. Replicate the circuit as closely as possible, using modern equivalents (that are readily available)

2. Stick most of the circuit in a PIC chip and maybe change the power circuit?

Rather favouring option 1.

-------------

Posted By: ben76
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:11pm

A bit silly, reading the thread about the board thief wanting his details removed. His board username is the same as his car business (and is on his youtube videos)

Anyway, it would be great to do some group development, so I'm downloading circuit maker to have a play. I'll put some bits on the schematic to get it started.
I think a lot of the board may be the turn-on control for the triacs to vary the speed - it seems to feed in the AC to sync with it (and set the turn-on angle). So not too worried about the PAL - either we find a dump, or we do our own at a later date via deduction and scoping (I think it's just a counter/compare for the phase duration of the triac to let the CPU vary the speed.)

What's better though?
1. Replicate the circuit as closely as possible, using modern equivalents (that are readily available)

2. Stick most of the circuit in a PIC chip and maybe change the power circuit?

Rather favouring option 1.
I'll be honest... Space harrier is sh*t... OK now onto the answer... ?? If you're planning on delving in then I'd say which is easier for you... As if the board is the fabled ark then if it gets returned then brilliant, etc however I'd say as its so rare anything that may help keep machines running is a bonus. I'll honestly admit to having no clue but if the same stuff is used in say outrun dlx which would make the easiest pcb to be programmed for use in both?

- Ben

Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:19pm
I don't even own either (and probably never will). Just looks like a bit of fun to do (if others can share the boring bits like dragging tracks around).
It would definitely have to support all games.
Going with option 1 for now. Will see how I get on and put details up once I've got some components down.

-------------

Posted By: NaokiS
Date Posted: 15 May 2018 at 10:51pm

I don't even own either (and probably never will). Just looks like a bit of fun to do (if others can share the boring bits like dragging tracks around).
It would definitely have to support all games.
Going with option 1 for now. Will see how I get on and put details up once I've got some components down.

I can help with that. I'm already designing an IO board for Model X series with JVS and USB support... Confused
Though I predominantly use eagle:

https://imgur.com/Esngqwq" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:07pm

Stumbled across some jpgs on KLOV.

I have uploaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yj24frv290u8fsy/AADZPajTBLZk7_VeGixG3KS7a?dl=0" rel="nofollow - SH Schematics

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:21pm
Excellent - they are certainly a bit clearer!

I'm working on the schematics right now.

Circuit Maker is basically a free version of a £20K program, so I'm rather liking it (I like Altium ).

I'll play for a day or two more, then I'll work out how to make the project public (it's on the cloud now, but I think it's hidden).

I could definitely do with more help as all the 74LS logic hasn't been put on the cloud yet, so I'm having to create lots of schematic symbols.

I'll put up a new thread when I get the project public.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:23pm
I have managed to contact Andreas (caracho) and asked him to send some pics that he had taken of his motor board - apparently there is an obvious repair which should help identify if I have the infamous board.

Andreas has a couple of none working motor boards and a working OutRun motor board. Not sure why he hasn't these shipped to RetroClinic to sort out (I have asked)?? He has been in contact with Mark to share a dump of the 82s153 (from his working Outrun).

Andreas kindly offered to share that dump with us - so I will ask him to send.

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:27pm
Nice. Is it one dump for both PALs as one of them has slightly more functionality than the other? (I guess the pins just aren't wired through for IC6).

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2018 at 11:08pm

Nice. Is it one dump for both PALs as one of them has slightly more functionality than the other? (I guess the pins just aren't wired through for IC6).

On space harrier the part numbers on the sega sticky labels (on mine at least) are slightly different, can't remember the part number  I'll have to go and read it off but one is postfixed with an 'A' so whether its totally different or just an alternate revision we shall see. 

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:29am

Excellent - they are certainly a bit clearer!

I'm working on the schematics right now.

Circuit Maker is basically a free version of a £20K program, so I'm rather liking it (I like Altium ).

I'll play for a day or two more, then I'll work out how to make the project public (it's on the cloud now, but I think it's hidden).

I could definitely do with more help as all the 74LS logic hasn't been put on the cloud yet, so I'm having to create lots of schematic symbols.

I'll put up a new thread when I get the project public.

I have all the 74 series on my software, dont know if you can convert from eagle to CM? Failing that, send a drawn schem and i can do the board side of it

Posted By: Big Phil
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:34am
Just latched onto this thread as I've been on holiday! It's always awesome seeing the community come together.

If there anything I can do, let me know. Not that I can do much!

-------------
DMD Board Repairer

Posted By: Alpha1
Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Big Phil Big Phil wrote:

Just latched onto this thread as I've been on holiday! It's always awesome seeing the community come together.

If there anything I can do, let me know. Not that I can do much!

Yeah I concur - turning out awesome!

-------------
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:54am

Originally posted by NaokiS NaokiS wrote:

I have all the 74 series on my software, dont know if you can convert from eagle to CM? Failing that, send a drawn schem and i can do the board side of it

It's OK - I did them all - didn't take long . Most were there, just in SMT format (cut and paste and change footprint ). Pretty much every component is there, or something similar that can be tweaked.
The idea is you pick a part from the live 'octopart' database and if it hasn't got a symbol and a footprint, you create one, then stick it back into the database for everyone.

I'll get a move on tonight and make a new thread and put some links up.

I don't think the schematics will take that long, just nice to have others to glance at them for review.
The PCB routing is the team effort
I figured we could use an image of the original as a bitmap to place the components in very similar places, then we can choose to route it as similarly as we can be bothered to.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:59am

It's OK - I did them all - didn't take long . Most were there, just in SMT format (cut and paste and change footprint ). Pretty much every component is there, or something similar that can be tweaked.
The idea is you pick a part from the live 'octopart' database and if it hasn't got a symbol and a footprint, you create one, then stick it back into the database for everyone.

I'll get a move on tonight and make a new thread and put some links up.

I don't think the schematics will take that long, just nice to have others to glance at them for review.
The PCB routing is the team effort
I figured we could use an image of the original as a bitmap to place the components in very similar places, then we can choose to route it as similarly as we can be bothered to.

The routing seems like a night or so work for me, doesn't look to bad. Could probably knock it out over the weekend if i had schems

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:10am

On space harrier the part numbers on the sega sticky labels (on mine at least) are slightly different, can't remember the part number  I'll have to go and read it off but one is postfixed with an 'A' so whether its totally different or just an alternate revision we shall see. 

The part no is 315-5160

On El Caracho's post on J+ ( http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24195&title=convert-outrun-motor-drive-board-for-space-harrier" rel="nofollow - http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24195&title=convert-outrun-motor-drive-board-for-space-harrier ) he says that he has (had?) two SH drive boards one with 2x 315-5160 and one with a 315-5160 plus a 315-5160A...

The interesting thing is the A revision is in the spot where the plain old version is on an outrun board. What this all means I dunno.

Also I'm working on cleaning up the schematic but it's slow and painful, I think some of the other efforts on here will bizz ahead of me, but I'll still post when it's done.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:44pm

Here is a scan of the underside of the motor pcb, it's the best quality this site and my scanner currently permit but I might be able to take a photo of better quality and upload elsewhere. I'm not that keen on scanning the top of the pcb if it means depopulating the entire board.

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 12:59pm
A high res photo without flash is another good way to get the traces. Looks like two layer anyway so wouldnt be too hard to follow on the top.

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:00pm
Excellent. That's probably enough - you can get the component positions by lining up the solder holes.
I don't suppose you could get X/Y dimensions so I can scale it correctly? (please).

Oh and my projectmaker page:
https://circuitmaker.com/User/Details/John-Bennett-11" rel="nofollow - https://circuitmaker.com/User/Details/John-Bennett-11

It was dead easy to sign-up. Just needs an e-mail and password - no address, or personal details. 500MB download.

Will start a proper thread tonight with some instructions (or we just keep it in here?)

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:07pm

Excellent. That's probably enough - you can get the component positions by lining up the solder holes.
I don't suppose you could get X/Y dimensions so I can scale it correctly? (please).

Oh and my projectmaker page:
https://circuitmaker.com/User/Details/John-Bennett-11" rel="nofollow - https://circuitmaker.com/User/Details/John-Bennett-11

It was dead easy to sign-up. Just needs an e-mail and password - no address, or personal details. 500MB download.

Will start a proper thread tonight with some instructions (or we just keep it in here?)

I can look at laying the componants out and tracing it up later tonight if wanted,

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:26pm

I can look at laying the componants out and tracing it up later tonight if wanted,

Are you OK to have a go in Circuit Maker? I realise everyone has their preferred tool, but it does seem good (it's Altium), it has the team facility and I can go back and forth from the schematic as more bits are added or changed. The routing wasn't much different to Mentor (the * key is your friend for swapping layers).

I won't have a full schematic for a while, but I'll get a few ICs down and the PCB shape so there's something to start playing with :-).

Edit: I should add, that as there's no urgency, I was thinking it's more about establishing a 'team effort' structure to do interesting projects (with this being the first effort), so there's time to play with new tools.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:30pm

Are you OK to have a go in Circuit Maker? I realise everyone has their preferred tool, but it does seem good (it's Altium), it has the team facility and I can go back and forth from the schematic as more bits are added or changed. The routing wasn't much different to Mentor (the * key is your friend for swapping layers).

I won't have a full schematic for a while, but I'll get a few ICs down and the PCB shape so there's something to start playing with :-).

Edit: I should add, that as there's no urgency, I was thinking it's more about establishing a 'team effort' structure to do interesting projects (with this being the first effort), so there's time to play with new tools.

Ill try it anyway. It would be a good learning excercise to start with. Failing that ill just default and convert the schems to eagle format

Im not trying to rush, im just bored woth nout to do lol

Print Page | Close Window