Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Punchout buttons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punchout buttons
    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:51pm
So with more time than usual, I started restoring a punchout cabinet. Started with the buttons (and that bastid blue button that took a year to get!).

I was going to take out the button assembling for a good clean anyway, but... How in the name of sweet puddings do you get the green button holders out??

The green housing is original I presume, so I swapped out the actual buttons themselves. That's all good, but I'm going to put a new overlay on the control panel so these holders will have to come out.

Is there something I'm missing here? It definitely feels like that :p

mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:55pm
By the way, you can see some kind of residue around the green holder in that picture.

Well, the other button has a piece of plastic glued on (?) that you cant see because of the microswitch.

So I'm assuming that same circular piece explains the residue... Ie, that's where it was before it got taken off/knocked off.

If that makes any sense!
_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
Is the overlay definitely beyond saving? The parts of the overlay visible in those pics look great.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:53pm
Well the control panel isn't terrible, but there's a chunk out of the corner and it drives me mental! It's especially annoying because otherwise it's decent nick.

Still flummoxed by how to remove those button holders though, bah

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
Probably just rusted so the buttons are wedged in and/or melded a little to the overlay, my Popeye panel was the same, I had to hammer them out from the back, they popped out alright then.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:15pm
You know, it could well be a hammer job,
I'll have a better look tomorrow. It's kind of amazing that the filth of people could be stronger than concrete, but there you go!

_Matt_ View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:49pm
What a shame, it looks so good apart from that corner.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:11pm
It reminds me of back in school, somebody in the class put something through a window and the teacher went crazy. He told the fella to measure up the window and that he'd have to pay for it, so up the fella goes with a measuring tape and starts measuring the actual hole in the pane of glass and all its mad angles. He wasn't even messing, he thought he'd get a piece of glass to fit :p

You know, it mightnt be the worst thing in this case just to preserve the original...time to whip out the scalpels maybe!

Edited by mysticmonk - 26 Mar 2020 at 11:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic