ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > Meetings & Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Q*Bert's Qubes - podcast #152

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q*Bert's Qubes - podcast #152
    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
Q*bert's Qubes is great! It's a little-known sequel but well worth playing if you enjoyed the first one.

Available from:

...and all good podcast apps Smile
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Co-host of http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 9:40am
This game is the only one we’ve ever done where everyone seems to like it!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk

Got cabarets? > CALL ME!
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 10:00am
A new podcast? Already? Yee to the ha!

Q*Bert's Qubes was ossum. I'd played the original bitd, in the arcades and on my friend's 7600. And I quite liked it. Never seen Qubes before. But in my humble opinion, it's the better game. Not often you see a sequel living up to an original, let alone surpassing it. The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Raiden 2. But I digress. That's time to stop thinking and start listening! I look forward to hearing what you guys made of it...
neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 1:26pm
Gentlemen,

Another tippity top cast, no doubt about it. Wonderful to hear news of a regular biscuit review - remember who introduced you to the mysteries of the Stroopwafel...

Vic talked a wee bit about Pico8. I've been on this since the start, brilliant little (non)device. A great way for kids and adults alike to dip their toes into the world of coding. If I can find some of my carts I'll send you them. Like any 'console' the devs are really starting to open up it's potential now, with some truly amazing games being created.

Let's talk cubes though, sorry Qubes. Terrific game, that I have previously shunned. Really clicked with me and I will definitely keep going. I came second, but only to the non-human terminator opponent so I will take that as a win - my best ever finish! I also inadvertently beat the 3rd placed Twin Galaxies mame score, ha ha.

Oh, Vic, if Shaun ever asks to do a new section where he sings arcade tracks in the style of a Vic Reeve's pub singer, DO NOT LET HIM...

Love you guys!
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
onepunchrob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onepunchrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2020 at 3:46pm
Just finished listening to the podcast, great as always.

Q*berts Qubes really was a great pick, as shown by everyone liking it.  Not sure how I'm gonna do on the next game.  I'm not great at it in the arcade, so playing at home I might be even worse.  I do have the master system version though, which has no autofire and the smart bomb is on the other controller.

Vic, if you were a fan of Tony Hawk in the PS1 days, they are remastering 1 & 2 on PS4/XB1, but so far not Switch.
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:39pm
Another superlative casting of the pod, gentleman. And what an intriguing pick for this month's game! Operation Wolf! I still remember the first time I saw it, on my summer holidays back in 1988. Back in those days, I was an absolute arcade addict. I couldn't get enough of those bleepy bloopy, brightly coloured classics. Shooting stuff in virtual battlefields was my forte. Like most kids, I was also a big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, and the whole gamut of escapist movie violence. HOWEVER, until this point, when it came to shooting stuff, it was never actually right in t'face. It was only every into the chops of tiny space ships, or monsters. Operation Wolf was different. For the time, it was by far the most realistic shooting experience available. The violence didn't just feel real, but grotesque, and for a brief moment I was genuinely shocked. Maybe I was strung out on coke (a cola)? The feeling didn't last, of course, and it wasn't long before I was saving up to buy Ocean's conversion for my Amiga 500. Still, looking back, the experience was weird - my first taste of cognitive dissonance. But it got me all prepped for the Big Buck Hunt games. Morally, they're a bunch of filthy rubbish. We all know that killing living things for fun is not a good look, and they certainly glorify that. In my opinion, however, the games themselves work really well - and don't hurt anything. Op Wolf's the same. Unfortunately I seem to have lost my mojo. I had 1-CC:ed it on joystick a couple of years back. But now I can't seem to get past round 2. Better get practising.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic