Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Racing cab pc requirements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racing cab pc requirements
    Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:50pm
Hi guys i posted this a while back on jamma plus, but thats gone now.
So what spec pc is required for racing cab emulation. I will be running naomi games, model 2 and model 3 stuff and also all the mame stuff like ridge racer, gti club etc
I managed to get an i3 lenovo tower pc for free but am unsure of the exact spec at the moment. Was thinking to upgrade this if needed.
Also any graphics card recommendations? Its mainly for emulated stuff, but some pc games (4:3 stuff) like outrun 2 crazy taxi etc
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 8:45am
You could get away with a core 2 duo and an average vid card* for most stuff, but since you want to use mame you need some serious ghz grunt for those 2 mentioned games.

*You don't mention what type of display you will be using.
Markitanis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:39pm
I will be using a vga display (640x480)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 2:31pm
Any ram and graphics card recommendations?
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:03pm
Graphics card:

Does your motherboard definitely have a PCIe slot?
What wattage is your PSU?
Does your PSU have connectors to power a graphics card?
Does your case need low profile or can it accept standard size?
Do you want to buy new or used?

When you know the above answers you can use the following website to make your choice.

Ram:
4GB of Ram should be more than enough.
Insert Coin[s]
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:03pm
Probs need 4gb, but 8gb is cheap enough and gives headroom.
But remember lots of different factors, such as ddr2,3,4 / and speed of ram.

I can't really help as I have only built a sim racing machine, and due to the rule of "spend as much as you can and get all the best stuff & you can still not run Vr games on max settings" then my pc could handle any emulated games.... which was secondary.

But I would also like to know as would like to build/get a dedicated pc to run emulated games.
Looking out for a Sega Gun cab: HOTD 1or2 / VC 1or2
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
I dont think that link would help much as thats a list of higher end graphics cards for pc gaming. I just need for emulators
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

Probs need 4gb, but 8gb is cheap enough

Ram is in no way cheap atm (unless you can find a 2nd hand bargain)

4 gig ram, 3.5ghz+ for MAME 3D racers, I would get something like an Nvidia 970, plenty of grunt for the later 3D racers and you can also add some PC racers on it too.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:50pm
Im not really to intrested in running the latest 3d racers just the 4:3 stuff
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:51pm
You don't want the Teknoparrot stuff like Outrun2?
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by ZedEx48K ZedEx48K wrote:

Originally posted by Sbdesign Sbdesign wrote:

Probs need 4gb, but 8gb is cheap enough

Ram is in no way cheap atm (unless you can find a 2nd hand bargain)

4 gig ram, 3.5ghz+ for MAME 3D racers, I would get something like an Nvidia 970, plenty of grunt for the later 3D racers and you can also add some PC racers on it too.

Well ok, cheap or not is relativity, so also its just as incorrect to say its not.  I also didn't say it was cheap.  Relative to original hardware... to run all those games with headroom... IMO its "cheap enough".
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 4:59pm
I have outrun 2 (pc version) already. Isnt the teknoparrot just widescreen racers? I only have 4:3
Sbdesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sbdesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:00pm
whats the newest u want to run? 
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:03pm
Please don't take this the wrong way mate, but if you want some help then at least let people know what you have and how much your budget is. Otherwise people will be just wasting their time answering a very vague question from someone who may be expecting people to read their minds!

I've listed some components below but I could well be wasting my time if you decide to use the Lenovo you have. So confirming whether you want to buy new or used, what your budget is, the PSU specs in the Lenovo or if your Lenovo can accept low profile or standard height graphics cards helps matters. What card people recommend really depends on where it will fit in your Lenova case or the Lenovo PSU will be able to power it.

The link I gave shows budget to high end cards, from 70 quid all the way up to 700+.
If you choose a card that can play E-sports games then you are good to go.

Anyways, if I was to build a budget PC that I wanted to last a good few years I would buy the following. I'd always recommend buying a new motherboard and new PSU, it will save you problems in the long run. I tend to buy used CPU's and used Ram if the price is too high to buy new.

Motherboard Intel: (approx 75-80)
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/motherboards-intel/intel-h310-socket-1151-mini-itx-motherboards

CPU: (approx 70 off CEX for a good recent quad core)

Because you want to run at a low resolution I'd recommend an AMD card as you may be able to use CRT Emudrivers, I'm not 100% sure if Nvidia cards support lower resolutions nowadays.

GPU: (Approx 65-85)
Nvidia
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/geforce-gt-1030-graphics-cards

AMD: (Approx 95-110)
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-amd/amd-radeon-rx-550-graphics-cards

If you want to buy used, then pretty much any midrange AMD GPU from the past few years will be suitable, the PSU I listed above will power pretty much any GPU with ease. From R9 270 to new cards like the RX 550 listed above.

Factor in a HDD and operating system to the above.

Edited by Vamino - 15 Jul 2018 at 5:05pm
Insert Coin[s]
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:03pm
Not sure that would prob be naomi stuff
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:30pm
Guys just took my lenovo i3 desktop to the pc repair shop and was told i cant upgrade the cpu for some reason
I am disappointed

Edited by Markitanis - 16 Jul 2018 at 4:31pm
ZedEx48K View Drop Down

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Markitanis Markitanis wrote:

Guys just took my lenovo i3 desktop to the pc repair shop and was told i cant upgrade the cpu for some reason
I am disappointed

Unless it's welded in there I can't see why not, you are obviously limited to socket type and bios updates, what they probably meant to say is 'we' can't update it with newly bought parts.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
He never even lifted the fan off the processor. He just said he doesnt think the motherboard would run well with a new cpu. And if i cant fit new parts i can used older ones from cex or ebay. Surely i can upgrade the cpu to some extent?   Any pc engineers here??

Edited by Markitanis - 16 Jul 2018 at 4:45pm
jinq-sea View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:59pm
Post the service tag/spec of your Lenovo desktop here. It'll then be easy to deduce whether a viable upgrade available, and I'm sure it will be (on the used market).
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markitanis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 5:02pm
I cant get into windows yet because i don’t know the password.
I did check on ebay and think but am not a100% that its a 3.3 ghz dual core i3 with 8 gb of ram
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic