FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Raspberry Pi JAMMA options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raspberry Pi JAMMA options?
    Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:18pm
What options are there for raspberry pi and jamma? I want to expand my games list on my cabaret from the 60 in 1 it has now to a raspberry pi and MAME where i can just, well, play whatever.

What are the best options for this? Do they output 15Khz and look good on a CRT with a good JAMMA hat? 

Thanks 
samusaran View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samusaran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:39pm
ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 8:40pm
rgbpi is cheap and works quite well.  Does 15khz as good as any other solution.  It has it's own custom os.  Do NOT try to map the joysticks from the main menu or you will probably have to re-image ! - There is a support forum, but there is a language barrier.  Initially it's quite frustrating to get up and running.  You have to sign up to discord and register your rgbpi to 'unlock' links to find certain useful 'packs' to add on.  Once you get that far, it's pretty easy.

Not tried any other solutions.

jasonm737 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonm737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:10pm
The pi mame route is good but obviously requires some faffing about and getting the games you need etc.  If you cant be bothered with the hassle a pandoras box DX outputs to the good old CRTs and you can then add whatever of your favourite games are missing on a usb stick and it will play them.....plus it plays PS1 roms so you can add ridge racer to it :p   

Edited by jasonm737 - 28 Sep 2021 at 9:12pm
Wanted: Roadblasters and Chase HQ
councilface View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote councilface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by jasonm737 jasonm737 wrote:

The pi mame route is good but obviously requires some faffing about and getting the games you need etc.  If you cant be bothered with the hassle a pandoras box DX outputs to the good old CRTs and you can then add whatever of your favourite games are missing on a usb stick and it will play them.....plus it plays PS1 roms so you can add ridge racer to it :p   

How on earth do I map controls for specific games on the DX? I've added robotron but neither stick works...
Stickman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:31pm
I use Pi2Jamma and EVO CRT as the front end, I only have Track and Field and Hypersports but I tried a few others and found this worked well with setting up the crt.

The Pi2Jamma has good support.
Ohh how I wish for these cabs.... Missile Command….Robotron...Defender/Stargate
mozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by ColinD ColinD wrote:

rgbpi is cheap and works quite well.  Does 15khz as good as any other solution.  It has it's own custom os.  Do NOT try to map the joysticks from the main menu or you will probably have to re-image ! - There is a support forum, but there is a language barrier.  Initially it's quite frustrating to get up and running.  You have to sign up to discord and register your rgbpi to 'unlock' links to find certain useful 'packs' to add on.  Once you get that far, it's pretty easy.

Not tried any other solutions.

Using a couple of these at the moment really excellent and cheap solution, almost plug and play too and its own software is very user friendly you can be setup and going in 20 minutes. Can remap keys by using a button combo to enter the mame settings and do it from there without the need for a keyboard.
jasonm737 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonm737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by councilface councilface wrote:

How on earth do I map controls for specific games on the DX? I've added robotron but neither stick works...

I'm assuming you've went into the options and tried remapping stuff and its failed?  I have a 4 button cab so remapped buttons for use with Street Fighter so I had the 4 buttons I wanted just via the options on the menu screen.  I'll grab the Robotron mame rom and give it a bash on the DX the now and if I can figure out whats up I'll pm you.
Wanted: Roadblasters and Chase HQ
Chunksin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chunksin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:40pm
+1 for RGB-Pi Jamma, great software, great support, small form factor with a Pi 3A+
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote councilface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:48pm

Originally posted by councilface councilface wrote:

I'm assuming you've went into the options and tried remapping stuff and its failed?  I have a 4 button cab so remapped buttons for use with Street Fighter so I had the 4 buttons I wanted just via the options on the menu screen.  I'll grab the Robotron mame rom and give it a bash on the DX the now and if I can figure out whats up I'll pm you.

I did try that, and thanks, its appreciated.
2huwman View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2huwman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 9:58pm
+1 for RGB Pi. Good stuff.
Message me if you need a JAMMA Cab-ready 15Khz MAME PC!

https://www.arcadepcs.com/
Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:17pm
happy with the arpicade
and dee2er   is always on hand to answer any problems with set up.

video out is nice pi 3b+ with image vertion 3.x

only snag is small space for roms unless you have a linux pc / laptop
to adjust partition on the sd card..
but i liked being limited to space
it actually made me choose the games i wanted to play..

although it seems that there is a 128gig image out there
pre loaded..

arpicade   i think is a great product..
i guess you can do it all on rgb pi also..

made a little test rig
scart to jamma to a small sony crt
so i could configer the pi settings untill i get it
doing what i want.. then take it to the cab..

got a 2hawman set up as well equally excellent

not sure if it’s my monitor
but my   rtype leo pcb vs
2hawman pi set up video image was better from the pi.

Edited by Retroman839 - 28 Sep 2021 at 10:58pm
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:21pm
Rgb-pi all the way... Made setting up a breeze!
Venom View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:28pm
What are they like ?

Small !! (basic)

I have this in my cabinet, runs 15K and is just used for vertical games like pengo and donkey kong.
It uses a 14 " monitor.

I guess unlike a PC setup on windows its ok to switch on and off it never complains !
Certainly for stuff which I play more retro its is great for that. I think that has a 64gb sd card of top of my head,

But at same time and maybe similar cost you could get yourself something like this, which I have just ripped out my non 15K cabinet , it can do 15K too. That is a 2human early setup.
Its a i45-gmt-hr  running groovymame.

I only ripped that out as had the space (just) to put an i5 in with coinops as felt more confident with Windows to do it myself. That is a dell 9020 SFF 16GB ,25gb SSD and a 2gb card, cant find a piccy !

TBH at present have not felt the need to replace the PI as its does what I need it to do.

Choices, choises.

Edited by Venom - 28 Sep 2021 at 10:38pm
Mr Matt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 9:09am
I got a JAMMA RGBPi and it's brilliant.  There's also a very active community where I got a ROMs pack from which came with all of the timings etc so the games ran at the correct native frequencies.

Edited by Mr Matt - 29 Sep 2021 at 9:11am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:35am
RGB-PI looks like they way forward. Thanks for all the imput. I would go with a windows solution but i prefer Linux based solutions these days and Raspberry Pi's are just awesome. 

I will get a Pi 3 B+ and get a RGB-PI hat when they are back in stock. Looks like a good way to go. Big smile
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote councilface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:52am
Looks like that's my next toy too. Thanks all.
Nik73 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:12pm
A bit of thread resurrection, but I’m looking at getting an RGB Pi jamma and had a quick question. How does switching between vertical and horizontal games work?
From what I’ve read, it looks like you have to rotate the image in the rgb pi settings and it’ll show you the appropriate roms for however you’ve got the image oriented? Seems a slight faff or is it simple enough?
Option 3 is I’ve got completely wrong!
Cheers.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:52pm
Usually you can switch between horiz and vertical frontend orientation on the frontend itself.
That basically just makes the menu navigation work on a TATE cab mind you.

The homebrew piJamma setups that use HDMI out can run vertical games interlaced at 480i on a horizontal monitor. The smaller rgbPi boards that use the GPIO pins for video out cant do this.

WTD: Rolling Thunder PCB
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 9:53pm
(I have a mix of all game types on mine, but yes.. some frontends filter the gameslist to only show games with the current orientation)

Edited by Flinnster - 26 Apr 2022 at 9:54pm

WTD: Rolling Thunder PCB
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic