Replacing black formica on Atari cabs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing black formica on Atari cabs
    Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:40pm
[resurecting an old thread of mine from another forum here]

Hi,

Some times the formica on an Atari cabinet is chipped to hell along the bottom. On top of this you can also have bolt holes from lock bars and all sorts going on, and the easiest way to freshen your game up is to replace the formica.

You will need.

1. A hair dryer

2. A cloth you don't particularly care about. I used an old tea towel

3. a flat headed screw driver

4. A filling knife or similar.

5. an Iron

Optional:

An extra pair of hands for some parts of the process
Wood filler, Sand paper/ Sanding block if you have chunks of chipboard that will need filling.

Edited by Alpha1 - 20 Nov 2011 at 6:54pm
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 9:34pm
Looking forward to this. I've asked until I'm blue in the face where to get this black formica from and all I get is 'your local DIY store'. Well, the last one of them shut down over 10 years ago here and there's nothing other than Jewson and Travis Perkins within 25 miles so I need specifics.

Looking forward to it as my DigDug needs a new front and a bit of filler desperately
forcefulfil View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
EDOT King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forcefulfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 9:46pm
me to,i have a few ataris that would benefit from a face lift!
phil
dezbaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 11:27pm
Thank you

Was thinking how I would do this lately.

:)
Cheers . .

Dez
AeroCityMayor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Entity formerly known as alien_mame

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AeroCityMayor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 11:28pm
You're such a tease Oll!

Get on with it Big smile

Cheers,

Ralph.
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 1:46am
PS: Swanky hair dryer. But not as swanky as mine...
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 10:18pm
Gardening and house work today, you'll have to wait for an update tomorrow Wink

guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Alpha1 Alpha1 wrote:

Gardening and house work today, you'll have to wait for an update tomorrow Wink

Oh, how things have changed!!
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:53pm

The procedure is as follows.

put the towel on to the formica laminate and then use the iron on the towel. This heats up the formica and starts to make the glue icky underneath.

You may find that you have to use the iron for a good 5 minutes in certain areas, I had to dampen the towel to stop it burning too much, which is why I recommend using an old towel your mrs isn't expecting back Wink

Start at the bottom, you will be able to see it lifting and you can use the screwdriver and filling/plaster knife to prise up the formica. It will stop lifting if the formica is cold so you must continually iron the upper part, in fact an extra pair of hands is good at this point.

With the hair dryer you can heat underneath the formica which helps immensely also.

It will take about 30 minutes to get it all off and you will have an Atari cab that looks like this (say hello to DanP's Space Duel):

You will see that I was lucky and had a clean bottom edge. I only have formica damage on this cab, but if you are missing chunks of chipboard now is the time to get out the filler and sand paper.

Once the surface is ready, get your replaced piece of formica and using the resin recommended from your 'local hardware store' (Gudd Wink), stick it down. I took the measurements I needed to the place and they cut it to size for me.

New formica glued on and left for 2 hours to cure:

The stuff is brittle as hell so I ensured I glued it down before cutting the coin door hole out. I just used a hack saw to cut around and then just sanded it smooth with a sanding block. Obviously the sanding block sands the inner lip and not the formica or it will get scratched up to hell LOL

Coin door area cut out and frame back in:

Once you have put the coin door in your game front is restored and ready to go to Game On (or your gameroom):

That's it.

I'll follow up with the actual formica stuff you need to order so if you don't have a local hardware store that stocks this stuff anymore you can find some online.

Edited by Alpha1 - 20 Nov 2011 at 6:55pm

forcefulfil View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
EDOT King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forcefulfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:45pm
Sorted!
Is it better to do this at the bottom of the stairs in front of the radiator?Tongue
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:51pm
Very nice write up Oll, and nice to see my Space Duel where I found her :)   She now spends her days as my Vectormame cab, still all original inside though.   Once you've completed your posting I'd like to tidy the thread up and make it a locked article if that's OK?

Dan
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:57pm
Yeah that's cool dude. I've linked to all the pix, whilst I know my pix aren't going anywhere you might want to upload the others to here so they are permanent.

Edited by Alpha1 - 20 Nov 2011 at 7:58pm

ckong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2011 at 9:52pm

I'll follow up with the actual formica stuff you need to order so if you don't have a local hardware store that stocks this stuff anymore you can find some online.

Smile That would be great. I have a few Atari games which could use some fresh formica.
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 8:53pm
So where do you get the fricken Formica from?LOL
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm
Try looking for vertical grade laminate. Should be able to find that without too much bother. I recently bought a roll from a local timber yard.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 4:34pm
Made a sticky topic.

aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 8:17am
Had a few people contact me having done this recently, about a source for the vinyl.

I ordered from this ebay seller, who was happy to cut it to whatever size you like, which saved a whole load of hassle. All you need to do is stick it on and cut the coin door:

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 9:53am
That's good to know thanks.

Is it the same as the original formica? The hardware store I used to use closed :(

aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:11am

Is it the same as the original formica? The hardware store I used to use closed :(

No idea, but it looks and feels authentic:

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:25am
That looks like very useful stuff to be able to get Thumbs Up
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic