Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Replica Atari PONG Cab Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replica Atari PONG Cab Build
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:43am

I've been slowly gathering all the info, artwork and plans to do a decent replica of an Atari PONG cabinet.

I'll build one or two to start off with and if there's enough interest I may do a small run of these.
The game board prototype using a GI AY-3-8500 chip is almost ready, I'll get a small batch of around 25 drawn up and printed.

This is the latest revision.

If you plan to use these Vero layouts please recheck my work as they are captures of works in progress and have errors/omissions that were corrected when building the board, they were not intended to be used for production of a final product.
When the last PCB is built and tested I'll state that it is confirmed correct.

It works well and the image is nice and clean, I want to see if I can get the random ball speeds and angles added into it and possibly beef up the sound amp a little.

I quickly knocked up a Vero layout for testing the Random Speed/Angles.

I could have condensed it a little more but it's good enough to test the circuit, I'll redesign the layout when making the next proto, it's still yet to be built and tested.

To complete the build I still have a lot of work to do.

First off I need to make some space in the garage to work in... :damnit::headbuttwall:

I've decide to get the panels CNC cut so the DWG or PDF plans I have will have be converted for CNC if not compatible.

I've got some Laminex samples for the Woodgrain and Yellow laminate that are pretty close to the originals, I can give them to the cabinetmaker so he can find an alternative match from another supplier.
Laminex was pretty expensive when I priced full sheets 2 years ago when I first started researching this project.

These Laminex swatch swatch I have for the woodgrain is called Palisander and has been discontinued.

This is all that they have available in Woodgrain.

Not close by a long shot...

The yellow I think is a pretty good match.

I have the control panel artwork file which was created by Etienne, it's high quality and a perfect replica.
I need to find the best way to produce the control panel but CNC engraved/cut 2mm Brushed Aluminium (possibly Stainless??) is what I'm thinking at the moment.

I have a few 14" CRT TV's set aside so for a few cabs I have that side of things sorted.

The bezel is just made from black cardboard, I'll see if I can find a template for it, otherwise I'll work out the dimensions myself once I have a cabinet built and a monitor in place.

At this stage I'll most likely be using AU20c Asahi mechs, I also have a few of them stashed away.
If I can source something that looks closer to the original I may do that but it's not a big issue in the grand scheme of things.

That's pretty much it as far as what's needed (apart from funding for production of multiple cabs, and time...).

The initial build will be no more that 1 or 2 cabs.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 30 May 2017 at 11:49am
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:04pm
Super cool. Look forward to seeing progress on this.
forcefulfil View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
EDOT King

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forcefulfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:30pm
Great work
Look forward to some more!
UKVAC: The longest running UK Arcade forum on the net
ianski View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 12:43pm
Interesting stuff and a pretty cool project.
You could consider the schaeffer front panel designer software. They make excellent panels of just about any style but they aren't cheap. Could be worth it for this though.
Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:12pm
Or get an engineer to reproduce the engraved panels...
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

If only there were a friendly long-haired engineer on these forums who could help?
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 1:52pm
The cabinet build itself is a piece of cake and with everything cut and ready to go, can be built in a couple of hours.
90% of a good job is in the preparation and I've spent 2 years researching, it's time to get this underway.
Having said that it will probably be a couple of months before a completed build will be seen.
I have all the right artwork but getting things like the control done right takes time to do the original cabinet justice and produce a presentable machine.

I've spent a bit of time working on the game board and have settled for a 'Pong in a Chip' option.
I didn't want to go down the path of a more modern Pi/PIC option so with limited resources and ability this was my best option.
There may be an option for a full TTL Pong board run but that's a ways down the track and is not my project.
I do have the schematics for my Pong clone cabinet which is broken down into sections that I could build in modules on Vero for experimenting and learning, I may have a look into that as well.
There's no reason why I can't source an original PCB and put it in the cab at a later date.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 30 May 2017 at 1:55pm
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by aeroflott aeroflott wrote:

Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

If only there were a friendly long-haired engineer on these forums who could help?

Or one with now not so long, long hair....

On a serious note though, this is a great project. I do like a good scratch build for those cabs that you simply cannot find.

Best of luck pal, please keep us updated with your progress.

Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Always looking for Cabaret Cabinets
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 2:49pm
Great idea and I look forward to seeing the results
SuperGoataku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGoataku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:28pm
This is great, really cool project, will look forward to the updates. Hope it all goes to plan.
iamjimmi View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:39pm
Cool project - good luck....
edget2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edget2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 9:53pm
I love reading these threads, when someone has the kahunas to do a scratch build like this. I hope that one day mine hang low enough to try one Cool

Keep sending updates and pictures Thumbs Up
funhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 11:19pm
Yes, this sounds great. I'm sure plenty of us would love one so please show us the way!
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:06am
Thanks for all the encouragement.

When I started looking into the project a couple years ago all I could find was the hand drawn plans on grid paper.

The artwork and plans have already been done by others which has saved me a fair amount of time and effort.
I big thank you goes out to all those who've info/files I've gleaned.

Below is a link to my back up folder on Gdrive with all the original files, they may be of use to someone...

Below are the pics of the 'Taito style' MAME cabs I did about 10 years ago.
I've included the plans as well.

Do you like my hand fabricated corner clips??

Edited by Kaizen088 - 31 May 2017 at 1:18am
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:18am
Wow, some cracking Taito type Cab repo!! Thumbs Up Was only thinking the other Day, why has nobody dine a clone Pong!
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:50am
Are you going to mass produce them?  Wouldn't mind one myself as a project

EDIT:  Just noticed you are in Oz :-)

Edited by Purity - 31 May 2017 at 10:51am
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:04am
Sadly, yes the freight would be a killer.
I'll share the finished CNC cut file, there's plenty of places that will cut the panels for you as long as you have the correct file type to suit their machine.
After I build the first three I do plan on doing one run of 10 to start off with and will gauge the response.
I think there is a lot of interest in these at the moment.
I s called the guy who can do the controls panels today and he'll get me a quote on doing a small run.
They can be easily shipped overseas if someone wants one.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 02 Jun 2017 at 4:29pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 4:25pm
I got impatient last night and wanted me a PONG cab so I converted this old bartop shell to use for testing.
It's a pain trying to use both pots at the same time when not mounted to a panel so this will do the task quite well.
Initially I was just going to mount them in a Jiffy box for testing but then the Bartop unit caught my eye and I set myself the task of converting it as best I could with what I had on hand.
I scrounged what I had lying about, the only yellow thing I had in the house that I could use was an old file folder so I slit the sides, flattened it out and roughly cut the bezel with scissors.
The control panel is just an offcut of 'Brushed Stainless' Laminex sheet, a quick score and it snaps perfectly then I just sanded lightly to get the edges smooth.

30 minutes later and the transformation is done.
It's rough as guts but looks the part... kind of...
Okay it's not my best work and it was nice not having to pay as much attention to detail as much as I normally would.
It's got plenty of Ghetto cred though...  Cool

Not satisfied with last nights efforts, tonight I had a look at another display option for the PCB for another project I'd been thinking about...

I had a 'non working' reversing camera monitor that I was told to replace on a job a while ago. 
I kept the original screen and tonight I thought I'd have a look at what was wrong with it. 
There was a broken cable inside the plug so I chopped it off, found the pinout and hooked it up to 12v. 
It worked perfectly so I tried the Pong PCB on it. It's a nice image though it's a pity it's not 4:3 but I have one of those on order from ebay for $20.

I want to slap together a 1/2 size version of the Atari Pong cab this weekend if I have time and put one of these monitors in it.

I also have this on it's way for another scaled down version.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 02 Jun 2017 at 4:54pm
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 6:44pm
Not sure if you've seen this before or not -

I made this a few years ago and it's on it's way to a new home soon...

I really like your Pong on a breadboard. I just chopped various parts off of an old Pong console pcb.
Black and white camping CRT tv in there. Custom made panel and boiler plate.

THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 2:37am
Very nice mate, I had contemplated making one of the as well.

I'm making a 1/2 size Pong cab this weekend.
The purpose of the build is to check the dimensions of the plans and work out any issues if they arise with the artwork and finishing of the cab.
The panels will be 9mm MDF, cabinet will have Contact adhesive for the woodgrain.

I'm yet to decide on the control panel but I'll probably just print it onto gloss paper at office works and lay a thin piece of perspex over the top.
similar to this.

I've learnt that it's easier the make a template out of 18mm marine ply for the irregular shapes and flush trim each panel with the template using a router. 
A complete side can be cut and shaped in a mater of seconds as opposed to hand cutting the profiles with a jigsaw (which never cuts perpendicular) and sanding into shape.
A fair amount of time and attention to detail is required for fabricating the templates but the amount of time saved when cutting multiple panels is definitely worth the effort. 
The same will be done for the bezel cutout.

The side template's completed and ready to go.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic