ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Revolution x board repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Revolution x board repair
    Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 9:59am
Hi guys

Ive recently purchased a revolution x arcade machine and i was wondering if any body can point me in the right direction for getting my game board repaired.

I get a mid way gong and it fails to boot up just every ten seconds gives a gong and the reboots again..

Im really struggling to find a place to repair it so any help on this would be great

many thanks rob from devon
qjuk View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:05am
Hi Rob,

A board rebooting can sometimes mean there’s a voltage issue, have you checked the voltage from the power supply to make sure it’s correct?

The member VectorGlow on here does board repairs, not sure if he does Revolution X pcbs though, but it might be worth dropping him a quick message to ask.

Wanted: Rainbow Islands and Ghost ‘n Goblins original PCBs.
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
I think these boards suffer from Leaky SMD caps, maybe you have board damage because of this. Even if not, I would recommend recapping it ASAP! 
Yardale-cottage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 10:27am
Hi guys thank you for the quick reply, so ive tested the voltages at the power supply and they all seam correct, i havent tested any voltages to the board as i just assumed its a dead board failing to load the roms and the rebooting..

Is there a how to any where that i can follow on some voltage tests ? Im not clueless but then im also not up to speed on testing and things like that as usually i buy empty cabs and just convert them to run emulators but lately im more inclined to save machines or at least try to..

I know from searching these boards can be a pain in the buttocks i need a few caps replaced but the board looks ok other wise..
I found this video of a very very clever chap that thinks he knows the issues why they failed and he successfully repaired a few now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GXkl7w1-Ts&t=37s

I think my same row of 5 chips are a little fluffy in places and need replacing so i would be willing to pay some one to at least try and get it going.
If all else fails then i guess ill have to go down another route but i really want to save this one and add to my collection...

Thanks again for your replies guys

regards rob

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 12:38pm
Little up date

Check all powers and there all ok, i also replaced the board battery still the same, same gong same reboot...
Also my crt went away for a repair so im waiting for that to come back before i can get a picture,
I did buy a conversion board so i can test it on my vga screen but sadly hasnt turned up yet so i also cant see whats going on either
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 12:47pm
You could try asking Simon Lock to see if he will take this on for you. I have had hardware repaired by him before and would recommend him. 

There are others I could recommend but not sure if they are actively taking on work right now or not.

Hope you get it working.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by K1ngarth3r K1ngarth3r wrote:

You could try asking Simon Lock to see if he will take this on for you. I have had hardware repaired by him before and would recommend him. 

There are others I could recommend but not sure if they are actively taking on work right now or not.

Hope you get it working.

Do you know if hes on face book or has a email ? sadly im not on twitter

thank you
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 2:43pm
He's on Facebook, if you search Simon Lock (Aergan) you should be able to find him.
qjuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2021 at 3:14pm
I forgot to add previously, have you removed all the socketed chips, checked that the legs and sockets are clean and reseated them? Worth trying that if you haven’t already.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by K1ngarth3r K1ngarth3r wrote:

He's on Facebook, if you search Simon Lock (Aergan) you should be able to find him.

Thanks for the reply ?? I searched face book and I can't find him ??

Not sure if because he's so far from me or what but it doesn't show in the search at all

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by qjuk qjuk wrote:

I forgot to add previously, have you removed all the socketed chips, checked that the legs and sockets are clean and reseated them? Worth trying that if you haven’t already.

Hi there, no haven't tried that yet it was on my list of things to do but thinking I need some rom pulling tweezers first ??

One problem is the psu was swinging about in the cab on delivery and its broken a component in half, the component is listed on the board as AP9 it seams to be the only one the manual does not list, Ifs a long resistor type chip in black stands quite tall compared to chips and has 6 legs all in one row..

So I'm thinking it will never run with this chip broken ;-(
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:53pm
   I think an in focus photo of the area around the damaged component might be a good start. I've removed and reseated a couple of square chips which have brought a board back to life. The normal proms can be lifted with a terminal screwdriver. I fear that if the PSU has been bashing into the PCB then there could also be trace/track damage too. This is why I think a good quality photo may help people to give you advice as in where to start.
I've been looking for a Taito space invaders part 2 cocktail table cash box for years now😢😢😢
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:03pm
I have one in my pile of untested PCB's (according to the list), can dig it out and see what AP9 is (and see if it works!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Macro Macro wrote:

I have one in my pile of untested PCB's (according to the list), can dig it out and see what AP9 is (and see if it works!)

Mate that would be fantastic. I have cash for that board and I would be so grateful for it.

So later I'll get some close up photos of the board for you guys.

And once again I'm super grateful for all the help and advice ??

Thanks guys
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 10:27pm
Just checked, and it's not where it should be, so I either dug it out for some reason and put it 'somewhere safe' or it's gone (but can't find any emails about it, so no idea what happened to it)

jonhughes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 10:50pm
Sounds like AP9 is a resistor pack, they can split if hit hard enough.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by jonhughes jonhughes wrote:

Would that stop the board from booting ?
qjuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:03am
Originally posted by Yardale-cottage Yardale-cottage wrote:

Originally posted by jonhughes jonhughes wrote:

Would that stop the board from booting ?

I agree that it sounds like a resistor array/pack that has been broken, however my gut feeling is that it probably wouldn’t stop it from booting, but there would be something else wrong like some switch inputs not working etc.,

As previously mentioned, it’s best to get any obvious broken or damaged parts replaced, closely inspect the pcb for any track damage and reseat (and clean if necessary) any socketed chips.

Posting some close up pictures of the board might help some members spot any obvious issues.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 8:30am
Morning guys

Firstly once again thank you for all your kind help, if taken some photos but i cant get them on the site as there to big apparantly so ill have to find a site to host them on, im a little out of touch with all that...

I'm sure if you guys see this board then you will prob agree that the chips need replacing or reseating just below the rom set, a couple have gone a little corroded...

I've checked all voltages to the board when its plugged in, i have 12v and 5v to the board from the supply, and i have the separate i think its 21v powering the sound board and gun driver board so all that seams in check..

I am going to try and reseat the rom chips and try fire her up again...

Ive messaged 3 people now with regards to just taking a look at the board and no one is interested, its a shame because some one with board knowledge would prob take one look and think its possibly a easy fix but i cant find any one to take it on....

Seams a real shame to not at least try to save the machine

Thanks guys

rob
bones View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:59pm
   Hi Rob, I'm on Android and just use the 'reduce photo' app from the play store. You just open it ,select take photo and do,then hit the crop option and do that and that'll bring it down to kilobytes rather than megabytes. You've just gotta remember to go to the top right press on the 3 dots and hit save as, it'll be in your library beginning rps.......Any photo resizing thingy should do it.
   I'm not sure what that resistor package does, this board does seem to have quite a lot on it, could only find a blurry pic so I could be mistaken.
I've been looking for a Taito space invaders part 2 cocktail table cash box for years now😢😢😢
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic