Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Revolution x board repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:06pm
If it's anything like Mortal Kombat 2, it's not the voltage level, it's that it pulls a big surge of power when it starts the game, which momentarily browns-out the supply and causes it to reboot. So an iffy PSU will struggle, even if it meters a nice 5V during normal operation.

As for board failures, my brother's fixed a few with bad capacitors and horribly corroded tracks underneath. 
Which is probably all said above, so sorry if that's nowt new.
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Yardale-cottage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:52pm
Thanks again guys for all your help I've created a folder of photos to share so hopefully this will work

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Jtev3cNdasB2Go1J6

Very keen to hear people thoughts

So far tried 5 recommended board repair people and they have all said no :-( with out even seeing it.

If I had the tools I'd give it a crack myself

Also the power supply is new

Thanks guys
John Bennett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:25pm
You have got the sound PCB present, presumably? (not that I know what happens if that's absent/faulty)
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Yardale-cottage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardale-cottage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

You have got the sound PCB present, presumably? (not that I know what happens if that's absent/faulty)

Yes mate I get the midway gong both the sound card and the gun recoil card light up the led, they also reboot with the main board every ten seconds
qjuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:37pm
I had a look at the photo of your board. I've circled what I think are the areas of concern in the picture below:-

The red circle I believe is your broken resister array/pack. If it's broken in half then I would certainly be replacing it.

The orange circle is another resistor array/pack that appears to have some potential nasty solder repair work underneath the board. I would be checking this out and checking continuity with a multi-meter.

The light blue circle looks like on your original photo an area with some potential corrosion. It's harder to see on my resized imaged. If it is corrosion and it's damaged the tracks then I would probably be on the lookout for another board.

However, as I mentioned before, I would still re-seat all 32 of those eproms, check the chip legs and sockets, then give it another test to see if it makes any difference.

Wanted: Rainbow Islands and Ghost ‘n Goblins original PCBs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic