FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Robotron Joystick Replacements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Robotron Joystick Replacements
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:53pm
I posted this on the FB page while the site was down, but now we're back I'll put it here...

First up, what is the exact length of the original shafts on a Roby? From CP to the bottom of the ball?

Next...

I needed to get some sticks for my Roby. New Wico's are proving nigh on impossible to locate and I wanted some sticks by today so I can go and get the control panel finished off this evening (the guy's had it since before Xmas).

I ordered in one of the Ultimarc 360 joysticks to see what they were like since they don't use any kind of switch so I figure they'll feel the most like leaf switches. They're seriously expensive mind so only got 1 to try at the moment and I figure I can always sell it on later if they're no good for what I want them for.

SO, arrived earlier and my opinion is that they'll likely be what I go with, but only after spending even more money - which is kinda dissapointing! As standard they're too sloppy and have too much travel. Luckily I saw this coming and ordered stiffer springs at the same time. With the stiffer spring fitted they feel a bit 'grindy'. Hmm. And obviously they still have too much travel (IMO) as nothings changed there. I seriously don't think the quality here matches the price tag, but I guess that's what you get when you can only buy them from one place.

So, it seems that you can get restrictor plates for them. Yet more money, but it should solve both problems so I guess it's the final piece of the jigsaw.

Anyone have any thoughts of which restrictor plate would give the closest feel to the original Wico sticks? I don't have a Wico to compare to so need someone elses judgment on this one.

The choices I have are:
  • Round - just restricts the movement a bit but doesn't add any corners or edges.
  • 4-8 way - is basically a square with rounded corners
  • Octagonal - err, speaks for itself?

So what should I try? If I can get this right first time then I'd like to as the cost of this panel is REALLY ramping up, especially given I'd like to get some longer shafts made up to the same size as the original sticks too.

tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:16pm
There's a guy over on KLOV that is selling repro sticks (just the sticks themselves)

I almost bought a pair as mine were very rusty. But stuck them in a drill instead and applied sandpaper, came up really nice:

I have a single Wico left, but is missing leaf switches, a spring, and the white plastic piece that sits on the end. Probably not much use to you ....

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:39pm
Hey,

I think Gudds Robotron has a repro cardboard bezel. Be lovely to show him the TOG glass stuff for the Euro Robotrons. I'm sure he'd get them too Cool
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:42pm
Yeah - these were done as a one off custom job, but I can't see why TOG wouldn't do some more:

guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:46pm
If the shafts on yours are the full size 4" ones then could you measure from the surface of the CP to the bottom of the ball please? The problem with buying any in is that they will need to fit the Ultimarc sticks, assuming that's what I end up going with. And that's the same reason that knowing they're 4" long doesn't help me either. For Wicos 1" of that could be underneath the stick, for mine, 2.5" of it (etc). So the only way to get it right is to getting made.

Also, the guy on Klov has made the sticks out of stainless and that's, for the most part non-magnetic. The Ultimarc sticks are kind of hall effect sticks. But regardless of what they are exactly, they have a neodymium magnet that sticks to the end of the shaft, which obviously wouldn't work with a stainless shaft.
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:46pm
Gudd dude... You SO need them for your Robotron, the marquee was done on glass also and looks AWESOME.

guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:47pm
Nice!! I've not done much with the bezel yet. I've got the glass made up but haven't tried to put the artwork behind it yet...
guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:48pm
All I've got for a marquee is ne printed on cardboard! It does the job ut it does look pretty naff with a light behind it.
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:50pm
Ah. Yes. The marquee ...

Gudd - I'll measure up tonight.
guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:52pm
Cheers dude. They look sweet!!

Who or whatis TOG?

All I get when googling is that it's the tog rating of a duvet
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:00pm
No worries.

You won't find any of the Roby stuff on the website - but you might notice that he does custom jobs. As he now has the artwork it probably wouldn't take him too long to turn around another commission. Feel free to mention my name - it's a recent job and still probably fresh in his mind.

Word of caution though, if you order, be really really careful about measurements for bezel. He prints these to tempered glass which can't be shaved / cut. Mine is mill perfect, but another couple of mill either side and it wouldn't have gone in. If I were doing it again I'd probably allow a bit of slack.
guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:16pm
Dare I ask how much it all set you back including shipping? Looks very nice though
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:16pm
Yeah TOG are awesome. Really good repro house.

tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

Dare I ask how much it all set you back including shipping? Looks very nice though
In paid for them months ago .... took some sorting .... but I'm pretty sure cost was about $200, maybe as high as $250 (I'm trying to forget ..) - price included shipping. Steep, but oh so fine ...
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 4:02pm
For a one off and including shipping that is a fricken BARGAIN!

guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Hmm, £155 - steep, but like you say, SHINEY
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:04pm
Here you go Martin:

I reckon that's 35mm.

And yes, very SHINEY!
guddler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:16pm
Are they the long shaft variety? That seems awfully short...
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 8:54pm
The visible shaft, from bottom to where it enters the ball top (yes, I know, fnarr etc) is 3.5". I'm sure I had sticks that were shorter than this in the past, but could be wrong. The sticks 'feel' right, but yeah, I think you can get them .5" longer.

Edit: that said, my sticks sit in a piece of wood bolted to the control panel. That wood has been routed out to allow the housing to drop in. If not, the sticks would have to be fitted on the flat underside of the wood, and 3.5" would look very short .... I'll say it again though, the sticks really do feel and look right as they are. Mind you, I've got nothing to compare them to other than a very hazy set of memories .... Maybe another .5" might improve them ....

Edited by tb lilley - 03 May 2012 at 9:03pm
MOS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 12:16pm

I’d be very interested to know if anyone has a Euro Robotron with the original CP intact?

I have a Euro Robo, and a friend has 2 cabs. All 3 machines has thrashed CPs. To judge by them, there’s nothing to say what were the original joysticks. I have several WICO joysticks, and we can find no holes - or traces whatsoever – on the CPs that fit with the WICOs …

DEFENDER: 999.975 pts (Blue Roms / max difficulty: 99-99 / Bonus ship level: 10K)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic