Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > High Scores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Robotron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:10pm
Think the WR may need updating in the first post, too! Wink

RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:13pm
You're getting too good at this now :-)
tronads View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tronads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:12am
Achieved my first ever million last night at Arcade Club. Seems to have been a long time coming ! 1,095,900
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:30am
nice
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:38am
Well done Dave, that's a huge achievement.

The more I practice, the worse I get!
CharlieFar View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieFar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 10:56am
Brilliant, Dave!ClapClap
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:09am
Superb score, sir!
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 11:24am
Nice one. I'm still trying to make it to half a mil! 
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:52am
Not played for a while, but the last time I had a crack, I got a new PB of 3,447,925.

Still not consistent, though.

neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:17pm
Great scores Jay and Dave.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 12:27pm
Somebody was in the zone...

Top blasting Jay!
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 1:24pm
Wow! That's some top flight shooting. Very well done indeed. What's your top tip, Jay?

Originally posted by Fuzzy Fuzzy wrote:

Not played for a while, but the last time I had a crack, I got a new PB of 3,447,925.

Still not consistent, though.

Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by RygarR RygarR wrote:

Wow! That's some top flight shooting. Very well done indeed. What's your top tip, Jay?

Cheers, Alan.

Some things that have helped me...

For the most part - keep moving.  Only pause for second or two if your blasting isn't sufficient to get you through a group of enemies.

Learn to 'flutter-fire' - it's absolutely essential to clear enemy missiles and multiple enemies on some waves, but don't waste your shots by doing it if it's not necessary.

I was told to not move in a straight line early on when I started playing, but I think I overdo the zig-zagging a little - it's not always necessary. In fact, I KNOW I overdo the zig-zagging to the extent that it sometimes causes me to walk into something I could easily have walked around! LOL

Get to learn the different strengths and weaknesses of the enemies, and be aware that they are constantly tracking you, even the Hulks.

Be aware that Tank and Enforcer missiles are much slower the closer you are to those enemies when they are fired - go against the natural urge to run away from them and (for the most part) tackle them head-on.  

Tank waves - keep away from the edges of the screen as much as possible. Try to clear any Tanks that are between you and the nearest edge of the screen and then go in for the kill by moving towards the tanks. Use flutter-firing to keep the Tank missiles away.

Enforcers - they're fairly harmless up close. Keep a gap between you and the edge of the screen when Enforcers are firing their sparks in your direction - the sparks will travel along the edge of the screen when they reach it. Be wary of Enforcers that get stuck in the corners - they'll start lobbing out sparks, and if you're on the other side of the screen, their shots are extremely fast and almost impossible to avoid. Practice dodging Enforcer sparks by leaving one alive at the end of a wave - it's good to know how the sparks behave, and you'll be able to walk up right close to the Enforcer and even around it with ease while dodging it's slow-moving sparks - then move away to see how distance affects the speed of the sparks.

Accept that some waves are tougher than others, and don't expect to get through every single Brain wave unscathed - just milk as many points as you can by collecting as many humans as possible with each life.

If your game starts badly, don't throw in the towel and start again - use your remaining lives and forget about the bad start - you'll be surprised how quickly you can accumulate lives and points and get the game back on track.  I almost ALWAYS lose a life on Wave 4 for some reason. LOL

neil1637 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:39pm
Some great tips there Jay.
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - Donkey Kong and Pole Position upright.
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

agree, need to get my jrok in the cab while i fix up the cpu board
RygarR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RygarR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 10:54pm
Thanks for the tips Jay!

I reckon I've just about got the 'flutter-fire' thing down. It's really useful for taking out the brains and tanks. Zig-zagging, on the other hand, is something I haven't been doing very much of at all, and I lose way too many lives chasing humans along the edge of the screen. Better get working on them. Here's hoping it's my ticket to 2 Million points!

Cheers, Alan.

Some things that have helped me...

For the most part - keep moving.  Only pause for second or two if your blasting isn't sufficient to get you through a group of enemies.

Learn to 'flutter-fire' - it's absolutely essential to clear enemy missiles and multiple enemies on some waves, but don't waste your shots by doing it if it's not necessary.

I was told to not move in a straight line early on when I started playing, but I think I overdo the zig-zagging a little - it's not always necessary. In fact, I KNOW I overdo the zig-zagging to the extent that it sometimes causes me to walk into something I could easily have walked around! LOL

Get to learn the different strengths and weaknesses of the enemies, and be aware that they are constantly tracking you, even the Hulks.

Be aware that Tank and Enforcer missiles are much slower the closer you are to those enemies when they are fired - go against the natural urge to run away from them and (for the most part) tackle them head-on.  

Tank waves - keep away from the edges of the screen as much as possible. Try to clear any Tanks that are between you and the nearest edge of the screen and then go in for the kill by moving towards the tanks. Use flutter-firing to keep the Tank missiles away.

Enforcers - they're fairly harmless up close. Keep a gap between you and the edge of the screen when Enforcers are firing their sparks in your direction - the sparks will travel along the edge of the screen when they reach it. Be wary of Enforcers that get stuck in the corners - they'll start lobbing out sparks, and if you're on the other side of the screen, their shots are extremely fast and almost impossible to avoid. Practice dodging Enforcer sparks by leaving one alive at the end of a wave - it's good to know how the sparks behave, and you'll be able to walk up right close to the Enforcer and even around it with ease while dodging it's slow-moving sparks - then move away to see how distance affects the speed of the sparks.

Accept that some waves are tougher than others, and don't expect to get through every single Brain wave unscathed - just milk as many points as you can by collecting as many humans as possible with each life.

If your game starts badly, don't throw in the towel and start again - use your remaining lives and forget about the bad start - you'll be surprised how quickly you can accumulate lives and points and get the game back on track.  I almost ALWAYS lose a life on Wave 4 for some reason. LOL

Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Hurray Banana Hurray Banana wrote:

Originally posted by neil1637 neil1637 wrote:

agree, need to get my jrok in the cab while i fix up the cpu board

Procrastination, Eric! Get it sorted, man! LOL

Thanks for the tips Jay!

I reckon I've just about got the 'flutter-fire' thing down. It's really useful for taking out the brains and tanks. Zig-zagging, on the other hand, is something I haven't been doing very much of at all, and I lose way too many lives chasing humans along the edge of the screen. Better get working on them. Here's hoping it's my ticket to 2 Million points!

Don't overdo the zig-zagging (like me!), Alan, but be prepared to change direction if needed - another mistake I was making (that was pointed out to me) was being so hell-bent on collecting humans that I was walking into shots and enemies when a simple about-turn or pause would have prevented it. 

It's better to miss a few humans here and there than it is to lose a life, I think.

If you have someone you can play doubles with, you'll both pick up tips from watching each other play.
bountybob View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bountybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2019 at 4:31pm

Some great tips. But how can I learn to flutter fire when I don't know what you mean by that? Can you explain the technique please? Cheers. Smile
Fuzzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by bountybob bountybob wrote:

Some great tips. But how can I learn to flutter fire when I don't know what you mean by that? Can you explain the technique please? Cheers. Smile

Sorry Mark, only just seen this.

I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but 'flutter firing' is the practice of quickly moving the stick between 2 positions so that you are effectively firing in 2 directions at once. 
CharlieFar View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlieFar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
My first million on Robotron!
Only started playing this when it was featured recently on the 10p podcast, so I'm quite pleased to have made this. Not that great when compared to the experts, but I have to start somewhere :)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic