Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Salamander playing (almost) blind on NNC candy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salamander playing (almost) blind on NNC candy
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 4:35pm
Hi All,

I've got my Salamander bootleg hooked up to my New Net City cab via a Franco B jamma loom. 

I can hear all the sounds and at first thought it was playing completely blind so I upped the contrast and brightness as far as they will go on the monitor and I can see the graphics, albeit very faintly. After a minute or two the monitor loses sync (displays no signal) and then regains it after about 30 seconds. 

To test the board I plugged it into my supergun and outputted to an LCD via scart and it's perfect, which would seem to eliminate any board issues. It's also just come back from being serviced by Phil (VectorGlow) and was working perfectly for him.

I've got Street Fighter Zero 3 which plays absolutely fine on the NNC and I've also hooked up a Pi directly to the monitor via VGA, bypassing the jamma loom, and that's fine too; MAME displays and plays no problem.

Any ideas why Salamander won't display properly?

Thanks,
George

Edited by georgek - 08 Apr 2021 at 4:38pm
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 4:47pm
I forget who told me before, but salamander has a slightly higher than usual frequency, so it can tend toward flickering screens etc. You just adjust the sync on a cabinet. It's a pain swapping games of course.

That doesn't explain the very dim picture you have, of course.
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:15pm
Thanks for the reply. I'm not too sure where I would adjust the sync? Would it be through the extended OSD or is there a pot somewhere? 
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:18pm
Could it be a video ground issue?
Check pin 14 of the parts side of your jamma connector is connected to GND.
You rang......?
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Lurch666 Lurch666 wrote:

Could it be a video ground issue?
Check pin 14 of the parts side of your jamma connector is connected to GND.

Will do but would that not affect my Street Fighter board too? That displays fine. 
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:33pm
I find some boards aren't bothered if that GND isn't connected and some are.
it might not be your problem but it's worth a look.
You rang......?
jinq-sea View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:53pm
That could well be a grounding issue as others have said, and is what I'd check first.

Is it the Tosh D29 in the NNC you have? That's an OSD display - as in the adjustments are 'digital'. Another thing to check (and I can't remember if a D29 does this) is the 'picture information' bit of the OSD - that is to say the info about the signal. Might give some detail on the incoming signal and whether it has actual sync.
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 7:51pm
I've not seen any picture information option in the OSD. I've got the extended menu remote installed and all that gives you are geometry and colour gain and bias over the standard menu of picture position, contrast and brightness.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but how would I check whether pin 14 is video ground? I've got a multi-meter but am a noob at using it!

Thanks.
Lurch666 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lurch666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:21pm
Just check if there's continuity between pin 14 (parts side ) with pin 1 (GND on both sides).
Or check if pin 14 has a black wire connected to it-that is usually the colour of a GND wire.
You rang......?
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 8:37pm
There is a black wire there but no continuity between 14 and 1.

Could I jump a wire between 14 and 1 on the board?

Edited by georgek - 08 Apr 2021 at 8:39pm
georgek View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 9:03pm
Jumped 14 to 1 on the board and it's working! Thanks all Clap
Vamino View Drop Down

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:13pm
Thats great that you sorted your issue!

I've got 2 games that give me issues on a Blast City.
Both Tiger Heli (boot) and Chelnov (original) don't work on my Blast City but they work fine on my Astro City.

Has anyone come across that issue before?
Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic