Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega naomi universal and mame

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega naomi universal and mame
    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 6:06pm
Hi
Wondering if any fellow members could give me some pointers, a while back I asked about putting a raspberry pi in my naomi and got some good advice, I've decided now as I've got a spare pc running mame I'm going to fit this instead so wondering how easy this is to do and still use the Sega cp as at some point I will probably revert back to playing naomi games.
A list of things I would need buy and tips would be great.
Cheers Brian
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 6:16pm
Should be fairly easy.

PC will need to have a VGA connection and configured to output 640x480, this may take a bit of work depending on what OS it has on it but doable with the right software. (QuickRes possibly)

For the controls, you can either try to get hold of a JVS-PAC device that then connects to the Naomi I/O JVS connection and converts it to a USB joystick for the PC, either that or use an iPac/ZeroDelay and swap the wires over on the sticks and buttons or build a harness that can connect to the connectors that the naomi CP has already got wired to the controls.

Then just an audio jack to phono adaptor and use the Amplifier built in the cabinet as well.
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:15pm
Thanks for the reply looks like I'm looking for a jvs-pac, the pc is running Windows 7 it was already in a cabinet using a touchscreen crt.
Cheers Brian
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:40pm
I have done this in my old naomi cab, its relatively easy to do on windows 7. I also had the pc automatically booting upon switching on, rather that pushing the power button.
Out of room but always room for one more !
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 11:29pm
Hi shinydaz thanks for the reply.
If possible could you pm please with how you did this as I'm not to clever at these things as pinball was my thing before I got the arcade bug.
I think I might be struggling to find a jvs-pac as there doesn't seem to be any available or I might be looking in the wrong places don't know. Will put a wanted ad up just incase anyone's got one lying around.
Cheers Brian
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 10:54pm
I made a video for a member here for the same request a few months ago

Go to 9 mins in to see how to swap from naomi to pc in a couple of seconds and back again:

Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 5:26pm
Hi
I received my jvs-pac today nice bit of kit,wired it all up set the PC to 640x480 all good switched on everything loaded fine booted straight into hyperspin joystick on player 1 moves up and down fine when trying to select an emulator but no buttons work except player 1 which when pressed just takes me back to the first emulator on the hyperspin wheel any help would be great.
The PC was already used in a cab using an iPac for buttons and controls so I don't know if this might be the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Cheers Brian.
ZedEx48K View Drop Down
User
User

8-Bit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZedEx48K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:05pm
New controller means new controls definition in the software.
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 7:46pm
Hi
Thanks for the reply zed kind of thought that,I got the pc in a cab a good few years ago maybe about 7 years so probably a bit dated but worked well it has hyperspin as a front end so I've not got much of a clue so any help where to look from yourself or fellow members to get this up and running would be much appreciated.
If yourself or another member has a simple set up on a hard drive that can go straight into my pc and work on my naomi I wouldn't mind paying for it.
Thanks again Brian
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 8:04pm
If you want the best and easiet solution then I recommend a Jvs-pac, 1st version will do if you can pick one up, and Groovy Arcade on the PC
it's fully designed for arcade use and will output 640 x 480, this is based on a linux system but once installed you can plug in a network cable and copy your roms over the network to the right folders.

this will try its best to emulate the games as close the original as possible, works at its best on a lower res screen though.
you'll also need a basic audio cable to plug in between the amp and PC. and the joysticks and buttons will be mapped to mame by the JVS-pac correctly.

I run this in a couple of my cabs and its really as good as it gets for mame emulation
you can even burn the groovyarcade to a cd and boot it without installing it just to give it a go

Looking for More Space!!
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 10:26pm
Hi brettster thanks for the reply I got the jvs-pac 2 delivered today and I had a audio cable already,the PC a dell running Windows 7 with a 1tb hard drive,the graphics card is a nvidia geforce gt 610 are these all suitable for what I'm looking for.
Cheers Brian.
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 11:40pm
Hi Brian, should be fine, mame doesn't really take advantage of fancy graphics cards so if your pc has a built in Intel graphics it would work just the same just make sure  you set it to 640 x 480 resolution, otherwise you could damage the monitor

Looking for More Space!!
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:09am
Hi brettster had a look at your link thanks for that,would it be okay to send you a pm as I think I will have a lot a questions to ask ha ha.
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:39am
Hi yoganuggy, I've watched your video a few times now my set up is nearly the same with net boot and such.
I've got the pc just about set up now but I was wondering how you got your aimtrak guns to work as my cable on my ir sensor isn't long enough to go from where you put yours on your cabinet to the pc in the bottom of the cabinet did your sensor with come with a longer cable or did you rig it up yourself.
Cheers Brian
yoganuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yoganuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:46pm
In that video I was using a special large sensor that came with a long cable but I've since switched back to the original smaller sensor and used a usb extender cable like this. A small bit of velcro lets the sensor be mounted directly above the top of the monitor.

You need calibrate the aimtrak guns in the aimtrak config tool and then use the in game service menu to calibrate each game individually. Then there are settings in the MAME mame.ini file, Demul settings, hyperspin etc. to configure... It takes a while to get it fully set up.

Finally you also need to have the gun at least 1.5 meters from the screen meaning you need to be actually standing 2+ meters back.

Aimtraks are great but if you don't calibrate and stand way back from the screen they will only frustrate you.

Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:42pm
Hi thanks for the reply looks like I'm buying a USB extender, is there any chance you could send me your configuration in the aimtrak tool and also in the mame ini file and anything else I might need I know how to set the gun axis and things in the mame service menu as I've tried to set the gun up a few years ago got it working to a certain degree but not great.
I've got plenty of room in the games room so distance isn't a problem.

Thanks again Brian.
Pharo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pharo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:47pm
Hi yoganuggy need some advice with this, when you mapped your buttons what buttons did you use for picking games, exiting games and adding credits my cp is a 6 button 2 player set up I'm using a joypad just now can live with it just wondering what everybody else uses.
Cheers Brian.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic