Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega Naomi Universal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega Naomi Universal
    Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 4:45pm
So back in 2017 I picked this cabinet shell up from a UKVAC member as he was clearing out some projects/room. It wasn't perfect but the market was getting pretty slim back then and it was local and a good price.

The cabinet was just the shell with no wiring loom or monitor so ideal for a project cabinet.

So the original idea was to grab a monitor (which were pretty common back in 2017) and then at least wire it for MAME so my kids can play on it.

However to get the cabinet in the house (conservatory) it was going to need a clean.
The cabinet was stored in my basement, then stripped down to fit into my parents workshop and pretty much remained there mainly due to monitors drying up to buy (seemed the price got higher and they distance to travel to pick one up got further).

So even though I had this cabinet I got my Initial D cabinet which is slowly (very slowly) being restored and always on the look out for parts, this is when a good friend (UKVAC member) had a spare Nanao MS-2932 and knew my ID still had the original Sanwa monitor in my cabinet. So I purchased the spare monitor and the plan is to use this as the replacement. This now left me with a spare Sanwa monitor which can go in my Naomi Universal (I will have to check the bezel, but 100% its for a sanwa, though may find a nanao one just in case).
So now with a monitor, but in still in parts I thought I would source as many naomi universal internal parts as I can as Ill need them for the monitor and if Im going to wire it for MAME might aswell make it for Naomi. I have a couple of spare Naomi2 mobos and Pi setup so could be fun! So that pretty much what I've been doing over the last few years... and this is what we got so far as Im still missing some wires and PCBS.

So what's next.. These parts all need to be cleaned which I will be doing over the next week or so.

All the white metal parts (the ones I got as missing a couple of bits) will be getting a quote this week for shot blasting and powder coating and then taken to be done this Wednesday (should take about fortnight).

So parts I know I'm missing (excluding any plastic parts).. which I'm sure I had some but will check my parents workshop this week but will list here for reference.

• Castors x4 (will just find some rubber replacements as going on wooden floor)
  • Hoof for leg (Cant remember which one)
  • Leg adjuster bolts x2
  • Lid Communi port (small panel on back of base)
  • SD BD NAOMICABINET (The panel which has the Test Buttons on and sound pot)
  • CONN BD W/FUSE 6.3A CE (Small fuse filter board comes of the transformer)
  • Speaker wires L&R (From Sound AMP to speakers
  • Locks (mainly to hold panels in place)
  • CREDIT board (think its a Klingon)
  • Coin Bucket (just cause I not got one)
  • Wooden Tray the Naomi board sits on (if anyone has a template then I can just cut one).

The plastic and more of the bits found inside the CP I will find once I get the basic cabinet in shape.

Edited by whitecomet - 13 Oct 2021 at 12:10pm
SmoMo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmoMo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:19pm
I can send you a template for the wooden tray tomorrow.
whitecomet View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by SmoMo SmoMo wrote:

I can send you a template for the wooden tray tomorrow.

That would be great, I can get one made up then to protect the paint :)
whitecomet View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 12:11pm
update found some bits I knew I had but just couldnt find.

Also took all white metal parts to shotblast and powder coating place today.

Should be 2 weeks and have them back.
modro jezero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modro jezero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2021 at 4:45pm
Have
-SD BD NAOMICABINET (The panel which has the Test Buttons on and sound pot
-Speaker wires L&R (From Sound AMP to speakers
Locks (mainly to hold panels in place
-Coin Bucket (just cause I not got one)
-Wooden Tray the Naomi board sits on (if anyone has a template then I can just cut one
-CREDIT board (Excel)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic