FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega outrun sound chip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega outrun sound chip
    Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:26pm
I have an outrun pcb on which the sound chip has died. It is the surface mount chip found on outrun, Power Drift and loc type pcbs I think.

So looking for a working sound chip I would possibly buy a faulty pcb so long as the sound chip works. Sent the pcb and Retroclinic has verified the chip has died. Would love to get the game running again,

Cash or trades waiting.

Cheers
Steve
system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 5:50pm
What's the part number?
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 5:59pm
I am guessing it's the 315-5218, seems to be a common failure. It's found on hang on / super hang on too I believe.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:11pm
Yes it's the custom chip with the numbers you mentioned Ace.

Can you help?

Cheers
ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:21pm
Be careful with these... They are easily damaged.... Recommend using some Chip quick low melt solder to remove them safely !! - Killed one with hot air and chances are 50/50 doing a transplant !!  The pads are also very delicate and are easily damaged !!

I also found they were tricky to re-attach and some optics (of the non alcohol kind, hic) and plenty of flux are recommended before commencing !!  (making sure that the PCB pads have been cleaned and free of solder thoroughly before even considering replacing so that the new chip sits completely flat)

Also.... a common fail with these are also the two ram chips which work hand in hand with the custom chip, but I'm absolutely sure Mark would have checked these out before reporting the custom chip as bad.

Edited by ColinD - 11 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:33pm
He did mention that they are not easy to replace. I just want to get the pcb working as it should. Spent a lot of money getting it this far. If anyone has a top working board but faulty bottom might consider that also.

Thanks
ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 8:35pm
Top Board is the same for Super Hang On, but I'm sure you are aware of this. Deffo a good source is a bad Gloc / Power Drift pcb, also afterburner/thunderblade hardware too !! - Give the chip a good / scub clean before removal too !! - Alcohol and/or Acetone (cheap nail varnish remover - but not the acetone free stuff  £1 in a chemist)

Edited by ColinD - 11 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
dj_yt View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 9:32pm
It may be easier and safer to source a complete top board, as opposed to transplant the chip. The rest of the components are through hole, and much easier to swap out.

Unfortunately this chip is a the most common cause of permanent death with these boardsets. :(
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 9:43pm
Don't suppse you can help with this by any chance?
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 6:04pm
Anyone willing to give it a go? I have a g-loc pcb with the chip on it.

Cheers
Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 7:43pm
I am guessing Mark already tried reflowing the original custom? The outrun I fixed the other week was playing the speech too fast so that it sounded like chipmunks, reflowing the 315-5218 fixed it.

If you want to pay the postage costs and for a new packet of chip quik I'll give it a go.
Ordyne View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ordyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:41pm
Don't use hot air, use a plcc tip to remove it.

I can swap the chip over for you if you have a donor board Steve.
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
I'll get pix tonight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 8:52pm
Thanks for the offer Craig. I have one but think a couple of the legs could be broken on it. It's on a g-loc Pcb.

I will dig it out and take another look.

Thanks.
Steve
Wanted.,Qbert machine working or project.

ColinD View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:36pm
See this post for possible spares... http://www.ukvac.com/forum/topic357658_post995143.html#995143

Edited by ColinD - 30 Apr 2017 at 8:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic