ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single
    Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:47pm
Haven't done a proper restoration thread since my first sitdown driver resto - the voyage that was the 2 x initialD singles to twin OutRun2SP.  I've done a few restos/conversions since then but never really documented any of it - combination of impatience to just get on with it and not remembering to take photos/write it down and assumption that people are bored of Sega driver threads by now! LOL

This one is a little unique though, in that it is a Japanese built cab (of course) and there are some subtle - and not so subtle - differences between UK and Japanese built machines.  F355-OR2 conversions have been done numerous times - even with Japanese cabs (sorry to mention it again Ian), but thought it would be interesting to compare as this cab was originally built as an OR2 and is is the way with Sega, there are differences within differences! Oh and there are some 'issues' to sort on it so this might be a good place to document it all..

Arrival

Unlike most of my cabs, this was one was delivered - I usually like to hire a van and collect or just shove them in the car (Daytona2 Ian?).  Luckily delivery day was fine and sunny - I've picked up cabs in the pouring rain before and it does take the edge off it slightly (F355 twin Olly?).

Cabs look great sat on the driveway - you get some nice shots and see all around them, but there was lots to move before rolling the cab into its new home in the garage so my usual schoolboy error hit straightaway - forgot to take nice sunny arrival photo Embarrassed

Anyway, this is how she looked moments after being rolled in..

Yes, it's going to be interesting working on this with no space to breath, let alone actually look inside and do things!

Once the wrapping was off I could assemble the pop card and see the cab in all its glory.  Therefore, obligatory shots of various parts of cab - including some of the unique Japanese features.  Bear in mind this is a restoration thread, not a finished article so things are not perfect.. yet.

Japanese sideart - note the Japanese text under the dude and his two ladies.  What you can't see is the excellent quality of the sticker itself - superb print quality and vibrant colours.  Also foil backed Italian flag stickers.

Japanese base lid sticker - foil backed and set in the classic Japanese driver base recess.

Japanese base side sticker - foil backed of course.

Japanese dash sticker - foil backed and complete with Japanese text which I don't know why is cool, it just is.

Japanese Coin tower - just happens to have 100 Yen coin entry - again cool (if you have to ask why you're in the wrong thread LOL)

Japanese certificate stickers.

Japanese spec monitor - you don't get Toshiba PF tri-sync monitors in UK built drivers.  This one is burn free, but has issues

You may have noticed the most obvious gem from a Japanese OR2 single is missing a detail shot or two - that's a bit of a sore point right now..

The topper

Ah yes, the elusive and gorgeous, bespoke OutRun2 single Japanese topper and pop card assembly.  A glory to behold especially when lit, showing the lovely 3 dimensional artwork on the plexi at its best.

Sadly, this one took a bit of a hit somewhere along the way so as great as this one still looks from most angles, I just can't get the side cover damage out of my head Ouch

Something must have scraped this big time as the gouge is at least a few millimetres deep and rough as hell.  I'm amazed it didn't puncture the plastic or crack it - the Chinese copy plastic I have would have shattered into a million pieces with less of a bump.  Another nod to Japanese build quality I guess Wink

I may try sanding/polishing but I fear this will just make it worse and in any case the shape wouldn't come back.  I'll let the dust settle first and give it some thought.  I don't really want to go down the filling route as the idea behind this cab was to keep it as original Japanese as possible and maybe retain a little character - there are some superb full restos done on cabs now anyway and this isn't a competition for me.

I just wasn't bargaining on this much character on this part though Ermm

So, things to do

1. Sort monitor - Toshiba PF monitor wobbles, has some strange interference, is a bit dark and has poor focus/geometry - more to follow.
  2. Seat needs attention - crack free back plastic required, attend to cushions and fit working seat adjuster.
  3. New stickers on monitor surround and base sides - the bezel sticker is the only decal on the cab that isn't original Japanese - I have foil base side stickers I may apply if these don't clean up well enough and I think the cab is worth it - foil stickers are impossible to find.
  4. General clean and tart up required - NOS wheel emblem, up/down shifter and shifter plastics - my usual LOL
  5. Squeaking steering, loose shifter and intermittent loss of acceleration.

So, enough talk - lets get on with it!  First up has to be that very unhappy monitor..

Edited by Outrun2 - 02 Sep 2017 at 4:57pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:48pm
Right then, this monitor.  At the moment it's like, what's the big deal about Tosh PF?  The image quality is worse than one of my old Sanwa 29e31s monitors fitted in my old initialD cabs! Shocked

So far I've found out that there are numerous versions of Toshiba PF and while all have a simple remote board and On Screen Display (OSD) for adjustment, this only gives access to basic adjustments such as size, position, brightness and contrast (separate 15K and 31K).  My display has all sorts wrong with it so fortunately with it being a later model (D29CQ51) it has physical pots on the chassis for trapezoid, pincushion, parallel and H-frequency.

Pots on this version of the chassis..

Remote board..

There's a fascinating thread over on ArcadeOtaku that goes into detail about the 'hidden' extended menu and how to access it so get the extra adjustments via the OSD.  I won't repeat all that here, but some brilliant work done which deserves huge credit - have a read here if interested. 

My display wobbles constantly, has poor focus/geometry and is a little dark.  Here's a vid showing the wobble..

While poking around inside the cab looking to see condition and any other differences I hadn't known about before owning a Japanese OR2 I was amazed to see a stepdown transformer mounted on the control panel shelf/frame just below the monitor.  As this was originally a Japanese cab that was expecting 100V out of the wall socket the stepdown has been added at some stage to enable it to run on UK 230V.

That's fine, I've done this before, but not by fitting the stepdown so close to the monitor.  They usually go in the base, under the pedal area, but with this cab the space there is occupied by a socket/plug that powers the onboard LAN/switcher so someone decided to mount it a bit higher up.

Stepdown directly under monitor..

Hoping for an easy fix I moved the stepdown out of the cab completely and gave it a try.  What do you know - problem cured as easy as that! Big smile

After tweaking the focus pot on the LOPT and giving the pincushion a little twiddle I had a much better grid..

Very happy with that for now - a little convergence on the right side, but this is a CRT and I believe a little convergence is to be expected on a PF screen.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to up the brightness - it looks ok to a point, but I dunno it just isn't as vibrant in colour as say a Nanao MS2932.  Need to ideas on what to try here.

Also there is some interference or something - flashing pixels you might notice.  I don't think I see this every time I power up but it is quite noticeable especially on a black background.  Again - need some help..

Edited by Outrun2 - 02 Sep 2017 at 5:00pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:50pm
Yep, starting to get the Tosh PF love-in now - the display is looking very tasty after a bit more tweaking Big smile

To get a bit more brightness I very slightly upped the SCREEN pot on the lopt – this lifted things dramatically, much more vivid image now but not too bright that it soaks out the colour.  Blacks are nice and black and the whites aren’t piercing or washed out!  lopt does squeal faintly – not sure if this is a bad sign – it did it before so I haven’t made anything worse.

Just the interference to get sorted now, so re-read terminator2k2’s recent thread about interference on his MS2932 where a missing screw near the VGA input on this chassis solved the problem.  The issue I’m having looked very similar to that – random sparkly pixels all over the screen - so thought I’d check out the screws securing the chassis on my monitor..

Surely not..??

Well, I have no idea for the reason, but after tightening this down I have no more interference issue!!!  Monitor gurus may be able to explain this (grounding issue??) or laugh at this improbable cure, but after testing for around 45 minutes and twice restarting the machine the problem does seem to have gone completely.

My camera is just not good enough to capture the image quality, but this is a very nice picture now.  Starting to really like this cab now..

I might still try to get one of the custom made extended OSD menu remote boards as there might be further improvements to be had – or maybe I should just leave well alone before a ruin it all??! LOL

Edited by Outrun2 - 02 Sep 2017 at 5:01pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
griffo83x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffo83x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:42pm
very nice gary, i would of loved this if i had not bought the scud race, shame about the topper as you probably know i had a similar thing happen to scud :( . not the end of the world but still dissapointing

im glad you got this cab though mate , as i know its gone to a good home and will be a great in your line up of sega drivers :)

jap spec too , great :)
WANTED ridge racer upright
terminator2k2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terminator2k2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:14pm
For the brightness You could try the a1 screen voltage adjustment on the lopt. It might have been turned down a little in the past to prevent screen burn.

As for embedding youtube videos try:

[TUBE][/TUBE]
with just the code on the end of the link

Edited by terminator2k2 - 31 May 2016 at 7:22pm
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by terminator2k2 terminator2k2 wrote:

For the brightness You could try the a1 screen voltage adjustment on the lopt. It might have been turned down a little in the past to prevent screen burn.

Tried this on my old Sanwas and didn't have any luck but will give it a go.
Thanks for the youtube tip as well - seems to be different on every board I'm on and I forget this one Thumbs Up
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:29pm
Congratulations with this beauty! Clap I'm looking forward to following this thread! Even though your monitor has some issues you are lucky that you don't have any screen burn. And most of the cabinet is in very good condition. Thumbs Up Is the seat cushion ok?

I wonder if the floor mat has been replaced. Usually they are very worn, even the powder coating underneath is usually worn. This one looks almost brand new? And the diamond pattern is slightly different than the Jap ones that I usually see.
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 9:57pm
Nice one Gary Thumbs Up Who the F mounts a Transformer near a Monitor Shocked LOL
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:40am
Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out, patience and a lot of polishing. I wouldn't bother filling it, getting a paint match will be so hard. I'd think about getting a load of different grade sandpaper, all 3 grades of novus, and a rotary polishing tool, then work, work and work it until it disappears, then go over the whole side with a good polishing compound to get an even finish. You probably already know that though, but have been a little blinded by the fact it got damage - which you CAN sort Smile
nintendoid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nintendoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:16am
well done on the monitor will have to come and have a look at the Japanese cabinet at some point :)
seanr28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 10:35am
looking at them pictures, you now have too many cabs to use most of them....:) you need to sell some to me:)
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by slowcade slowcade wrote:

Congratulations with this beauty! Clap .. Is the seat cushion ok?

I wonder if the floor mat has been replaced. ..

Thanks man Smile

The seat cushions are present, but in need of repair/replacement.  The back cushion is ok, but has a hole right in the middle and the base cushion is reasonably complete but has been peeled back making it a bit crinkled.  I don't have any photos yet, but will post some when I get to fixing them.

The floor mat has had a metal checkerplate panel bolted to it so I imagine it's work underneath.  Looks ok and has been done well, but I will see if I can turn it back to original somehow.  New mats are no longer available from Sega, but I found a near perfect match for that pattern.

Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out..

Yes, well ever since it was imported to the UK anyway.  The markings on the transformer are Japanese (or Chinese - who knows) so it was probably converted out there before being shipped!  Everything else seems original and untouched so I know it hasn't been butchered - hate seeing choc box terminals and hacked wiring going all over the place in a cab Confused

As for the topper, I'll give myself plenty of time to consider what to do - no chance of getting a replacement so will have a think..

Edited by Outrun2 - 01 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

The floor mat has had a metal checkerplate panel bolted to it so I imagine it's work underneath.  Looks ok and has been done well, but I will see if I can turn it back to original somehow.  New mats are no longer available from Sega, but I found a near perfect match for that pattern.

Sounds good! You may not remember it now, but I found a near perfect match for the original pattern too, and I bought a small roll. Let me know if I can help. Smile

Edited by slowcade - 01 Jun 2016 at 1:20pm
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by muddymusic muddymusic wrote:

Ha! What a great fix for the monitor, so it's had the sh*tty picture from NEW! Confused

I think you'll be able to sort that topper out, patience and a lot of polishing. I wouldn't bother filling it, getting a paint match will be so hard. I'd think about getting a load of different grade sandpaper, all 3 grades of novus, and a rotary polishing tool, then work, work and work it until it disappears, then go over the whole side with a good polishing compound to get an even finish. You probably already know that though, but have been a little blinded by the fact it got damage - which you CAN sort Smile

It may, just thinking though, depends on thickness of the plastic, it could make it quite thin if it's quite deep, they are what 3mm thick going on the uk twin ends

Thats a real shame and right on the front corner you see tooOuch 

Once you fill it, then gotta paint them both then won't look right with the sides, could do with some sort of plastic fill stuff that is plastic and to raise it up which could be coloured to match and then polish it back, but not sure if you can get anything like that

Just had a google and found this Gary

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/page12.htm

Maybe something like that would do the job if it's too deep, if you can colour match it again

Edited by Bods - 01 Jun 2016 at 1:34pm
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:39pm
The red colour and texture of the sides is quite different from the topper, so I think that you don't really need an accurate colour match. At least if you paint both sides of the topper.
corn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm
Lovely machine. What an arse something scraped the topper side :-( Still, I'm sure you can probably polish the worst of it out.

Vamino View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 12:28am
Looks like you got the cab you wanted mate. I look forward to seeing your progress getting it up to your high standard. Smile

Shame about the topper. Cry

Like some guys have already said, you should be able to polish the worst out of it. Or just buy the next Jp OR2 cab for the topper.
Insert Coin[s]
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Vamino Vamino wrote:

Or just buy the next Jp OR2 cab for the topper.

That sounds just like the sort of thing he might do

Edited by muddymusic - 02 Jun 2016 at 7:44am
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the comments - my plan here is to share, I don't want to come across as all 'show-offy' Embarrassed LOL

The topper damage is pretty disappointing and couldn't really have happened to a more vital part, but them's the breaks in this hobby I guess.  I appreciate the advice and will get over it I'm sure Wink

@slowcade, I do remember that matting now - looks very similar.  The sample I've been sent is only small but is a very close match, patternwise.  The colour is good but I don't think it is as shiny as yours, or is that the flash?  The matting I have is 3mm thick - what thickness is yours?
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

@slowcade, I do remember that matting now - looks very similar.  The sample I've been sent is only small but is a very close match, patternwise.  The colour is good but I don't think it is as shiny as yours, or is that the flash?  The matting I have is 3mm thick - what thickness is yours?

I believe that the original was quite shiny, and the one I got also. I don't know how to describe it, but it's definitely not dull. Smile
3mm sounds quite thick, I think the original (and mine) is closer to 1 mm. But I don't think that really matters?
Will you use contact adhesive to fasten it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic