ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 4:59pm
Right then, it’s been far too long since I put any updates in here – I’m sure you’ve all fallen off the edge of your seats by now! LOL

..but for anyone still interested, progress has been made, so here we go..

The main issue has been space, I’ve just not had the room to do any proper work on this cab as it was all I could do to just roll it into position until I could find a way of squeezing a quart into a pint pot! Selling cabs is not an option for me as I’m too much of a hoarder I get too attached to them - taking over the house is also a big no-no!

Sometimes my job comes in handy as rather than pulling and pushing cabs around, I was able to virtually do this with the use of my (now bordering on legendary) CAD plan.  Ian can testify that this is, and needs to be, millimetre accurate! LOL

So this has been the state of affairs.  Squeezed in, no access at all and it blocked other cabs – couldn’t even see the OutRun upright! Shocked

Before

I’m not a fan of just having cabs stashed, it’s pointless having them if you can’t enjoy them.  Tinkering and playing is what it’s all about, right?

After a surprisingly short time tweaking, I found an arrangement where all sides of the Jp OR2 cab are now accessible – all I need do is roll it back a couple of feet from the wall/window to get to the back (helps to be slim though!).  Lost a bit of work bench, but I found I only really used this to store spare dashes anyway!!  Doesn’t look a massive difference, but in reality it’s miles better and all other cabs are playable again now..

After

Finally, I can get access to the back of the cab, and that pesky monitor chassis (there's news here too).

More to follow..

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:18pm
Gotta respect using 3D software to plan out your space Wink
Do tell though, what other sit down drivers do you have there? I'd guess there must be a Daytona and a Sega rally in that lot ;)

Wanted: Outrun DLX cab, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCBs.
- Parts needed: Naomi wheels, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm
You're on the right track Wink

OutRun2 single (Jp) in red, then clockwise as follows:

OutRun2SP twin (UK/Jp 80/20)
OutRun upright (UK 1986)
F355 Challenge 2 twin (Jp)
Daytona USA 2 twin (Jp)
initialD 3 single (UK/Jp 60/40)

Makes quite a noise when they're all on!
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:34pm
Very awesome, I bet that's one roasting hot room when they are all on for a while too!
Envy isn't the word on your cab list there though Thumbs Up

Edited by Flinnster - 06 Sep 2017 at 5:34pm

Wanted: Outrun DLX cab, Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCBs.
- Parts needed: Naomi wheels, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:56pm
I'm still wondering where the F355 DLX and OR2SP SDX are going to go Tongue
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
wim outrun repro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wim outrun repro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 7:43pm
good collection  i think i like outrun, 

cheers wim
stegrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:10pm
Lookin forward to the next updates

Edited by stegrey - 06 Sep 2017 at 11:10pm
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:16pm
Nice update mate. Smile
This is gonna be a lovely cab when it's finished. Approve

Insert Coin[s]
moomootown View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moomootown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:35pm
Just wondering - do you like driving games?
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by moomootown moomootown wrote:

Just wondering - do you like driving games?

Hehe yea bit samey isn't it? Embarrassed

I do love my driving games, and different types of driving games.  OutRun was my first love so getting an upright back in 1999 was a really special moment.  OutRun2 was a natural follow-on once it was released but it took about 5-6 years to be able to afford one - the twin was originally a pair of UK initialD cabs so that was another long resto project.

Converting an iD to OR2 was a fairly common thing to do a few years ago, but it's frowned upon by iD lovers.  I grew to understand this view while owning them so just had to have an iD cab as well - it's a totally different dash setup and unique to the game, so while you can play iD in an OR2 cab and vice-versa it's just not the same.  I went for iD3 livery as it not as common and the bright green is very 'Japanesey' LOL

F355/2 happened without me really trying - a fantastic condition Jp cab came up for sale 10 minutes away from my home and it was just too nice to turn down!  It's also unique game hardware so not a simple drop into one of the other cabs.

No driver collection is complete without a Model 3 setup and as it's 24k you can't just hack it easily to run in a Chihiro/Naomi setup, therefore that meant I had to have another cab!  Daytona 2 was always an itch I'd wanted to scratch - the game represents Sega at it's greatest 90s pomp, no stone unturned  in the search for perfection and the game oozes class because of this IMO.  I thought it would just be a single cab setup that I could run other Model 3 games in, but the cab looks so gorgeous in all it's twin glory I had to find a way of fitting in a brother for my single.

This OutRun2 single is a bit unnecessary of course, but I am an OutRun fan at heart and I just love the way the Japanese cabs look - that single topper and pop card Heart  My excuse wasdn't it's a nice project and I didn't actually have a cab in regular OutRun2 livery to complete the collection Wink

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 7:18pm
So, with space to work in finally, I just had to get this monitor sorted first - it was starting to get depressing looking at it flashing and sparkling at me! Unhappy

I may have mentioned before, I'm not comfortable working on monitors, and these Tosh PF chassis in particular are difficult to work on as there are no schematics out there.  Apparently Toshiba made them for Sega, handed them over and that was that!

Anything much beyond a simple visual inspection was out of my skillset - I tried earthing the PSU as I'd read sparkles in the display can point to some sort of earthing problem in the cab, but no joy.  The rest of the cab is earthed better than any of my UK cabs so that seemed to be a dead end.

Gunblade was the obvious port of call, but he doesn't have a PF tube/yoke to test on.  He kindly offered to try the chassis out on one of his MS9 setups and see if he could replicate the issues I was having with intermittent focus and sparkling.

However, just as I was about the get on with removing the chassis and sending it off I had a tip off from my good buddy Ian (Vamino) that a chassis had become available on ebay.  The chassis was being sold as working and for an amazingly good price so I didn't hesitate to hit the BIN button!  Even if it didn't work it would surely be useful to have to help get my chassis working.

Turned out the guy had a couple of chassis so a deal was done and I bagged both.  I was determined to get this screen working!!

Before I knew it I was unpacking these.. Tongue

So without much hesitation I picked the best looking chassis and swapped it into the cab, held my breath and fired her up Pinch

First impressions were encouraging, nothing blew up and I got a picture instantly.  Bit blurry, but something to work with.. and no pulsing focus or sparkling issues!!! Big smile

These chassis have a digital OSD and without the extended menus you're limited to basic position/size/brightness and contrast adjustments.  Used these to get the picture the correct size and then moved to the flyback to adjust SCREEN and not one but two FOCUS pots - this was a first for me!  Seemed that the one pot adjusted edge focus and the other centre focus so with a bit of fiddling managed to get a very nice picture! 

I'll make the remote board mod at some point to see if I can get it even nicer, but for now I'm very, very happy Big smile

The video doesn't do it justice, partly as the camera doesn't show the crispness of the image, but partly as I'm shaking with joy!!! LOL

This chassis has really no onboard pots for adjustment - it's a slightly older version of the chassis I believe although there are many slight variations I've discovered.  The original chassis is a PE0493, this replacement is a PB9929

Right, we have a working screen, onto the aesthetics.. 

Edited by Outrun2 - 09 Sep 2017 at 7:47pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
tin View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 7:55pm
Nice nice screen there!
This is your crew chief // Yeah, the course is really tough // But it's a beautiful day // So good luck!
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:04pm
looks like a tosh pf should :)
Looking for More Space!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:35pm
At a glance this cab looks pretty nice already; the plastics are very good, most of the artwork remains undamaged, and now the monitor is right up there.  A closer inspection, however, reveals this cab won’t win any beauty contests – especially not if you have OCD tendencies like me; most of the metalwork on the lower part of the cab is rusty, has been badly sprayed and touched up at some stage, it’s full of dust/sand/spilt pop and the seat cushions are knackered!  Oh yea and the Chihiro fan whines loudly, the marquee light has been hacked to run off 230V, the steering wheel isn’t centred, the accelerator pedal only works 50% of the time and the shifter is as loose as a hooker’s..  

This situation will not do.

Although I have much better access now, I still don’t really have the room to the strip the cab completely, so tidying up was done in stages.  First I stripped the top half of the cab and cleaned all parts inside and out – this was pretty easy, not to mention satisfying, as everything is in good condition on this part of the cab - I’m ignoring the damaged topper box side cover for now! Stern Smile

The main issues are with the base, well the bits on it and in it!

Sorry, I’m crap at remembering to take photos as I go, I just get too into the joy of cleaning and then hours later realise everything is clean and I’ve ruined the before/after comparisons! LOL

Anyway, enough chat, let’s see this pics I did take..

Seat condition/removal. Note the Japanese style cushions – no thick lumps of rubber secured with big plastic rivets here..

The cushions are not great and will be replaced.  Jp style cushions are NLA and near impossible to find in decent shape used, but I have a plan.. Wink

Oh yea, I forgot – the seat adjuster is broken!

Interesting that a Jp OR2 seat base is different to UK version, which is the usual Model 3 style.  This part is from an a Japanese F-Zero..

This is the normal version..

This means different tray covers too..

Note as this is a Jp cab it has a totally different base lid – lock handle rather than covered cam lock and a nice recess for the sticker.  The lid locks from the side of the cab..

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 4:41pm
Next onto the footplate, again different to UK spec as it has a nice piece of grey rubber matting secured with stainless steel retainers (these parts are from an original Daytona cab fact fans!).

Well, it should be nice rubber matting – this looks ok on first glance but it shouldn’t have that aluminium checker plate on it and it doesn’t want to be this rusty underneath!!

This is after brushing the layer of loose rust off!

Every metal cover on the lower part of the cab is nasty so I stripped the lot, including pedal base..

Just in case you want to see some grime..

Quick strip down, wipe down and away to get powder coated..

Luckily the base itself has survived very well so I won’t be getting that powdered – Ian won’t be happy, but it’s just too much faffing and not worth the hassle as it’s really very good – nothing like the rest of the metalwork!
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:22pm
Great job mate. Thumbs Up

What do you mean I won't be happy?! Shocked
Your cab is no longer service station grade, it's a grade above that now. LOL
Soon it will be 'Gary' grade! Approve
Insert Coin[s]
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:30pm
Gary, you not got that Metal one I got a while back, that not any good?
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:31pm
Haha you know that 'service station grade' comment is engraved in my mind now! LOL I kept recalling it while I was working on the cab - it's spurring me on to get the job done to the highest standard! 

Hopefully you won't give me too much grief for not getting the base done - it's in pretty good shape so I thought you might let me off that!  I can always revisit in future if I really need to.. Wink

More updates to come tomorrow as I'm really cracking on with it now.. Big smile
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by bbz149 bbz149 wrote:

Gary, you not got that Metal one I got a while back, that not any good?

It would be mate, but I want to turn the footplate back to original - I have the correct matting so it's gonna look great when it's done Smile
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by Outrun2 Outrun2 wrote:

Haha you know that 'service station grade' comment is engraved in my mind now! LOL I kept recalling it while I was working on the cab - it's spurring me on to get the job done to the highest standard! 

Hopefully you won't give me too much grief for not getting the base done - it's in pretty good shape so I thought you might let me off that!  I can always revisit in future if I really need to.. Wink

More updates to come tomorrow as I'm really cracking on with it now.. Big smile

I forgive ya mate! LOL

I've got the same dilemma with the F355 twin I'm in the middle of restoring. One base is good enough to keep, but with it being a UK cab the powdercoating is flaking in some spots. The other side definitely needs doing as it's a rusty mess and I'm pretty sure trying to paint it myself would be a complete disaster! LOL
Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic