ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega OutRun2 Japanese Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote channel27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 3:34pm
Very, very nice
Wanted
Tekken: 3, 5DR, 5.1, 6, 6BR, TTT2
Virtua Fighter: 2.1, 3TB, 4, 5
Any working / faulty Sega Model 1/2/3 boards
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 4:43pm
It looks fantastic!

Quote fellow OCD ‘sufferer’

Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:31pm
Right then, after a bit of an unexpected delay, onto the next stage – rebuild the seat assembly..

Bit of a sorry state before, with the dirty repro cushions peeling off.  Not the worst condition seat I’ve ever seen, but nowhere near good enough for this resto..

Stripping down the seat reveals more minor differences between Jp and UK/Euro cabs. Sadly, even with their Japanese cabs, by 2003 Sega had long been omitting seat speakers from their twin and standard single cabs.  However, while UK cabs have the normal gullbox speaker grilles covering empty gullboxes, the Jp cabs have the grilles covered in a sort of leatherette material..

Also the seat frames are set at a slightly different angle.  This makes sense as the metal seat base is angled more, as highlighted earlier in this thread..

The Jp version is on top and has the extra flat bracket*.

*The frame is actually a Sega Rally 2 DLX part which has a larger wattage sub-woofer fitted in the back of the seat – also used on the yellow OutRun2 SP DLX.  I might fit this style sub if I can get hold of one in future due to the issues described later..

The metal seat base was powder coated and I got hold of some NOS seat rails, protect rubbers and protect rubber brackets (I like the details)..

As the metal seat base and seat frame are slightly different from UK spec it stands to reason the protect rubbers would be (minutely) different too!  Jp version on the left..

While rebuilding the seat I thought I’d add gullbox speakers and a sub-woofer – not original fit even in a Japanese OutRun2, but a nice addition and one Sega would approve of in this classic cab I’m sure..

But wait, although the plastic seat base is the same on all versions of OutRun2 meaning a sub-woofer can be fitted, the metal base is different and there’s no ‘void’ for the sub-woofer to sit in – the sub doesn’t fit flush into the plastic seat base so needs the void in the metal base or the two sections won’t fit together properly.

One way to get around this would be to fit the seat back mounted sub-woofer described above, but I don’t have one yet and it would be a shame not to have a sub-woofer for the sake of 10mm.

Therefore, I added some spacers (geeks will recognise the spacers are Sega parts LOL)..

Protect rubbers added and, NOS seat rails and re-furbed lock handle fitted, but I am missing the front lower metal tray so you can see a gap under the seat.  I have loads of spares, but of course, it’s a different part on this seat!  Anyone know of an OutRun2 SP DLX or F355 DLX being stripped – they both use the same part!

Now then, cushions.  Any Japanese driving cab connoisseur will know that the cushions used on these builds are fantastically gorgeous and much nicer than the hard rubber blocks fitted to UK cabs.  I understand why Sega didn’t use the soft cushions in the UK – they are fairly delicate in comparison and would have been torn to shreds by uncouth westerner kids in no time!  The Japanese don’t seem to have this culture of wrecking their cabs do they?

The soft Japanese cushions are, of course, no longer available from Sega and the chances of finding used replacements in great condition are minimal – put it this way I’ve found one black upper cushion attached to a seat in nice condition in seven years!

I have sourced Chinese copy black versions, which are a great option - they’re 90% the same as the orignals and look great fitted to my Daytona 2 cab, but are they ‘original’ enough to use on this resto?  Hmmmm.. I have sourced red, unused NOS Japanese cushions and I’ve always really liked the red cushion on black seat style as used on Scud Race and Sega Rally 2..

So, as I have a spare set of black seat plastics I thought I’d put Japanese red cushions on one set and Chinese black cushions on the other set and compare! LOL

Man, that looks nice.. and feels great to touch!  The red really pops off the black matches up really well to the red seat cover and monitor panels – bit more interesting than black on black. Hmmm.. might take me a while to try out the black ones!!  What do people think?

Edited by Outrun2 - 04 Dec 2017 at 4:35pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:47pm
You might notice some new stickers have also been applied along the way.  Like the soft cushions, foil stickers are one of the major pleasures that a Japanese cab brings (to the geeks among us). The shiny and reflective beautifully made stickers are synonymous with a quality Japanese OutRun2 cab so this resto has to have them.

However, while the dash sticker is fine, the monitor bezel sticker was a crappy repro and the base stickers were somewhat less than perfect with scratches and pieces missing.  Like Japanese style cushions, NOS foil stickers were NLA even when I got my first sitdown driver in 2010 and up until now repro foil stickers have not been attempted.

Fortunately our very own muddymusic/arcadeartshop has invested hours drawing, proofing and perfecting the artwork for use on foil media with his local printer to the point where full sets are now available!  I couldn’t wait until the end of the build to start applying them so the monitor bezel and base lid decals are on - cheers Olly, they’re superb Thumbs Up

Anyone who knows me will tell you I wouldn’t use them if they weren’t up to the required standard – it’s usually original or nothing for me, but these stickers are truly superb! Heart

Base lid sticker fits in the moulding on the classic Jp base lid perfectly..

Goes nicely with the dash sticker.. although this is the absolute height of cool as it has Japanese text as well!! Geek

While on the subject of all things arty, now might be a good moment to reveal the freshly sourced original foil pop card..

The artwork is printed on foil with the foam board sandwiched inbetween..

And a little doff of the hat to the 3D effect marquee plexi..

A 100V light unit has also been fitted in place of the hacked in 230V unit – these things are important!

So what’s left to do now?
  1. Remove seat back sticker and base side stickers and apply minty fresh new ones.
  2. Furnish that dash panel with NOS plastics, shifter and wheel emblem.
  3. Source underseat front tray and send to powder coaters with coin tower.
Not looking too bad at all now and I'm very happy with the results so far.  Here’s a slightly moody shot.. Cool

Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
bbz149 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbz149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:33pm
Wow looks very nice Gary!! Heart All you need is my Seatback with the NOS OR2 Sticker I applied before wanting it to be a SP Cab Ouch Once I can get an Jap SP Seat Sticker that matches the original or NOS, your more than welcome to swap with mine, as would be a waste to stick a repro SP over it!!Cry
Brettster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:28pm
Looking really good
Looking for More Space!!
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 10:05am
Lovely mate, it's fair to say you go the extra mile with the parts you can't even see....but you KNOW they are right so it has to be done!
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:14pm
Wow, that's beautiful!
Did you you buy those rubber protectors from Sega?
whitecomet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:26pm
Great build... still awaiting my invite Stern Smile
seanr28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanr28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:51pm
looks great!!  nice one...
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by bbz149 bbz149 wrote:

.. Once I can get an Jap SP Seat Sticker that matches the original or NOS, your more than welcome to swap with mine, as would be a waste to stick a repro SP over it!!Cry

Cheers mate, are you still looking for an SP seat sticker? Olly has some lovely ones now.  I'd be happy to have your seat back cover, but I don't have an original SP sticker to swap.  I do have a NOS regular OR2 sticker I'm going to apply to the seat plastic that's on there as it's in good shape.

Originally posted by slowcade slowcade wrote:

Yes mate, well they came from SoJ but via Sega UK - do you need some?

Originally posted by nintendoid nintendoid wrote:

Great build... still awaiting my invite Stern Smile

Yes, sorry I'm rubbish at invites Embarrassed  Maybe we can get together over Xmas?
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:50pm

Yes mate, well they came from SoJ but via Sega UK - do you need some?

Yes, definitely! Big smile I think I need both the protectors and the stoppers. I didn't even know what those straps were used for.. Usually I see them broken, just hanging there in front of the seat. EmbarrassedLOL
Do you have two spare sets which I could buy from you, by any chance?
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:54pm
Good job so far mate, almost there now. Thumbs Up

I like the look of the red cushions on black plastics, it may look strange to some people but I'm used to the colour scheme on my SR2 cab. TBH I'd just go with what you feel is best though.
Insert Coin[s]
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 7:57pm
Forgot to ask, how are those gullbox grills stuck on?
I always thought they were molded plastics specifically for ID and OR2 cabs!
Wow.....Sega Japan in cost cutting exercise shocker? Shocked
Insert Coin[s]
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 8:19pm
I was also surprised that it was just some type of plastic leather in front of gullbox grills! Why did I waste money on extra grills? I never knew that they were hiding under the leather! LOL

Edited by slowcade - 05 Dec 2017 at 8:20pm
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:08pm
The leatherette is just stuck onto the gullbox grilles. Looks ok and I have left them in place even though I've fitted speakers!
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:23pm
Won't it muffle the sound?
Outrun2 View Drop Down
Colonel Outrun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Outrun2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:30pm
Yes

A small price to pay to keep the Japanese parts!

Edited by Outrun2 - 05 Dec 2017 at 9:31pm
Would like:
No more cabs.. please!!
slowcade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowcade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 9:37pm
True! I think I will do the same. Thumbs Up
I am learning a lot from your progress. It's very interesting, and your attention to detail is of course impressive! Smile
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:38pm
Thats surprising they didnt fit speakers in the seat, amazed at that

The grills are same as the ones in F355 DLX seats, because the speakers in that are fitted higher behind your head, the original gullbox speakers are removed, grills with the same japanese seat cushions with the little holes are covering grills and then a metal plate behind to hold them in the seat.

I was lucky when i fitted the proper Japanese seat from Muddy that those were still left, so now they match properly and the whole seat looks superb

Looks ace Gary. Lovely Japan made machines. Dont get any better does it
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic