Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sega Rally 1 FFB error code

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sega Rally 1 FFB error code
    Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 9:16pm
Hi All

I recently got a Sega Rally 1 twin, one side has no forced feedback, I exposed the pcb's and the FFB board is flashing an Er 07 code, but its not one that listed in the manual so wondering if anyone knew what it meant.

My concern is that the board is really close to the rear base fan and that was totally fried, its a 240v ac fan that was not spinning at all but drawing power and getting seriously hot. Its been replaced now but I think its been bad for a while as the plastic parts of the fan were very brittle and fell apart. 

Any advice gratefully received.

Phil
JESSYBR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JESSYBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 9:47pm
i had that too with my rally
does it go left and right when you turn it on??

look at the potentio meters behind the steering

one off them id faulty

gr robert
PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2015 at 10:46pm
when the machine is turned on the ffb board starts 'counting' up and the steering moves a bit, eventually it displays the er07 code, the other machine does the same but quickly shows an 8c code. 

Thanks for the tip I will check the pots and replace them.

obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 8:09am
The readout is the position of the steering wheel. Around 80 is center position. Around FF is fully clockwise and around 00 is fully counterclockwise (or the other way around) It's a hex readout.
PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 6:51pm
ah that makes sense.  I guess it will change as the steering wheel is moved. Going to replace the pots and see what happens. thanks.
JESSYBR View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JESSYBR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2015 at 7:17pm
thats right mine are in the centre 78 and 79
easy fix

PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:27pm
So I pulled the back off and found the offending pot (top one goes to game board, bottom one goes to driver board) and to my surprise the lug wires were soldered onto it, I had expected it to be a detachable fitting. Is there some reason for this that I must solder the new pot in also.

Also the top pot works just fine but I am wondering if I should replace this one at the same time as its probably seen the same amount of usage as the bottom.
obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:16pm
Normally, those pot's are pretty reliable.
If it would be a 2 hours dissasembly to get 2 that pot, I would say that you might replace the other one at the same time. It's not like your cabinet is still working many hours I assume, so I would stick with one pot. As a potmeter is an electronic component, soldering is the normal way to make connections to it.
PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:38pm
disassembly was actually pretty straightforward once I figured it out and got hold of the right tools...
I don't know why but I didn't originally get that a pot was a component!, but that makes complete sense once the obvious was pointed out to me. I will have to plead ignorance as its all pretty new to me and I am still figuring out how to use a multimeter...
My SR is still working for a living, its in my sons pub doing 12 hour days.

obcd View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obcd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 7:37am
You can go to test mode and check the steering potmeter. If you turn the steering wheel slowly from left to right, it's readout should increase slowly as well. A bad potmeter can generate jumps in the number readout. Lubricating them with contact 60 is something that can extend it's lifetime. It's also important that they are mechanical properly aligned so that their resistance value increases from left to right. Some of them can be rotated 360 degrees, but others can only be rotated 270 degrees. Even if you can rotate it 360 degrees, it only gives you a normal readout over the same 270 degree angle, so you should only use it at that angle. Usually, dust is what causes them to fail.
PhilT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 10:20pm
Resurrecting an old thread but when I started with this I could barely use a multi-meter so had no real chance of fixing it.
So just in case anyone else comes across this error, heres the problem and solution in my case.

Er07 means (I think) that the FFB calibration cannot be completed. 

On start up the FFB board goes through a calibration phase where it spins the FFB motor and gradually applies the motor clutch until it detects steering wheel movement. So motor, clutch, steering wheel FFB pot and wiring all need to work so it can be completed.

In my case, the FFB motor was not spinning up. This was caused by faults on the FFB board itsself.  There is a section of the board that controls the motor, this section had a blown large cap, a shorted triac and 3 open resisters. 

I assume it got hit with a power surge or something but it now works fully. 
ARWPP@ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ARWPP@ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm
Hi 
I have a sega rally ffb board that appears completely dead, the number indicator does not come on at all checked is gett +5V etc, any obvious next moves ? 
is the Daytona board the same just different rom on it ? 
Thanks

Retroman839 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroman839 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:08pm
yep i got same no ffb

sega f355...

i think now i might have a bad eprom on the drive bd.

Edited by Retroman839 - 24 Feb 2021 at 7:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic