ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Wanted
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

SEGA RingWide

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aj2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEGA RingWide
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 11:50am
Hi all,

Looking to grab a SEGA RingWide setup.

Do they take the gun board from Lindbergh ?

Interested in Operation G.H.O.S.T., Golden Gun and a few others. 

Is it possible to whack all games on internal memory link with the Lindbergh? 
Those in the know, please advise! 
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:42pm
I don't have any Ringwide stuff but I do have a couple of spare Ringedge's here, one doesn't have a keychip and the other has the original ID7 keychip with ID7 installed on the HDD.

You can get keychips though, also there's a guy who can provide cracked Ringwide games that will work with any keychip on Ringedge. I have no idea how much he charges though. You should be able to find a guy called 'Soyandroid' on somewhere like Arcade Projects forum.

Andy Geezer/AGS may be able to provide original games but they won't be cheap, it may be worth asking him via email/website.

There's no multiboot option for original hardware yet, but I'd wager there will be in due course.
Who knows when that'll be though!

Another option is to use a Loader called Teknoparrot, I'm not sure whether it works with the lightgun hardware or not. Also I'm not sure what the hardware requirements for RE/RW gun games are.

Insert Coin[s]
aj2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aj2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:40pm
Thanks very much for the info, Vamino! 

penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm
A big problem with re/rw pc's is the hard drive, dongle & motherboard are locked together (A bit like the xbox).

So in my case I have a working p&d ringedge and an Street fighter drive and dongle and can't get it to unlock the drive to play the game, so until it's cracked they're both paperweight.

Your probably better off using technoparrot.
Vamino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by penrhos penrhos wrote:

A big problem with re/rw pc's is the hard drive, dongle & motherboard are locked together (A bit like the xbox).

So in my case I have a working p&d ringedge and an Street fighter drive and dongle and can't get it to unlock the drive to play the game, so until it's cracked they're both paperweight.

Your probably better off using technoparrot.

Street Fighter on Ringedge?

My experiements with RE are as follows:

I've swapped the HDD and dongle from an ID7 RE and used them in an updated ID8 RE, ID7 worked on the ID8 RE but it wiped the highscores and all the updates when I put ID8 back into it. I ended up buying another ID8 RE and will never mess with it again as the updates and highscores are very important to me.

I also bought a RE without a keychip, that RE originally had MJ5 Evolution installed on it. I've got the original installation disc + keychip for ID7 and was able to install ID7 onto that RE using a USB DVD drive without any issues.

If you have the installation disc and OG chip, then as long as the TDK SSD still has Windows installed on it then you can install any game onto the RE. Cracked images are floating around, but they are not public and only one or two guys sell them at the moment. It's only a matter of time until they are made public imo, but the security is quite strong on RE so you will still need a keychip from any game to load the cracked game. It may even be possible in the future to get a modified disc image to install on a RE using any keychip.

It's my understanding that you can unlock a drive with a game installed by powering the RE on with the correct keychip and HDD connected, if you are brave enough you can then hotplug the sata cable and connect it to a PC. You can then modify files on the now unlocked drive and also clone it onto a compatible SSD, but you will lose any high scores or updates as are they are stored on the motherboard and get wiped everytime the keychip/game is changed.

I've also read that it may be possible in future to use the RE to play Lindbergh games, because Lindbergh is getting on a bit now someone on Arcade Projects shown an interest in trying this, who knows when/if it will happen though.

Personally I'm not too bothered about cracked games, for me the only game I'm interested in is ID8. Unfortunately the guys who code Teknoparrot have recently removed support for using original hardware so you cannot use serial drive boards and card readers on Teknoparrot now, that's the reason I've not even tried Teknoparrot.

On an earlier build you could use the serial drive board and card reader with ID6 but with the following updates they removed functionality to use that hardware on ID7 and ID8. I'm not 100% sure but gun games may have the same issue so the sega gun I/O may not be supported anymore.
Insert Coin[s]
steling1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steling1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 6:54pm
I got one not that long ago with the game Golden Gun installed on it, the one I bought runs off a RE SSD as per above comments but modified so it doesnt need any keychip installed to run and also to run on a RE as that games originally for the RW.

I have a lindbergh HOTD4 midi cab (the one with a sanwa pfx crt in it rather than the HD lcd cabs), I put the RE system into it and it does communicate with the i/o thats in that cab etc . So the guns and buttons work and calibrate etc....

The problem I came across though was it will only runs on one higher resolution setting which will work with a HD LCD shooter cab I would have thought but wont work on the CRT 640x480 cab that I have. When you change the dipswitches to the lower res it just says something like unsupported resolution on boot up from memory.

I ran it plugged into a standard LCD monitor on the side instead with rest of the outputs etc plugged into the cab to see if the system works which it does, boots up and game runs and I can shoot at the CRT screen and it works fine so that game will work with the i/o thats on my lindy HOTD4 cab.

Was going to get operation ghost as well, but untill I get myself an LCD shooter cab to run them on I am going to have to wait as itll be pointless.

Edited by steling1 - 14 Jul 2018 at 6:55pm
steling1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steling1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 6:56pm
btw also would love to know what Streetfighter game is on the RE, not heard of that before..
penrhos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by steling1 steling1 wrote:

btw also would love to know what Streetfighter game is on the RE, not heard of that before..

That's me being thick - I've also got a TTX3 paperweight with P&D & SF4. My RE is sat on a shelf waiting for a multi to be released (unless I can work out how to play the game it came with.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic