Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Setting 5v & Using LED Voltmeters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:10pm
The -5V is definitely required on a few games - they just won't work without it. So that sounds dubious advice.

I'm of the same school-of-thought as RaveN, but if you want to tap into an IC, these are good, if expensive:
http://uk.farnell.com/3m/923690-16/test-clip-dil-16way/dp/178272?st=IC dil clip
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:39pm
What have you connected your switcher to? Incoming mains @ 240v?
Sounds very odd that what you are seeing is off the scale - they are normally pretty close from factory and tuning the dial will go either under 5v to around 4.3v or above to 5.8v or more.
Don't worry too much about 12v reading, it is usually more 'floaty' than the 5v anyway, so has a wilder variance.

-5v depends on what boards you have. Modern ones rarely use it. But if you are looking to run older games, you'll find the sound circuits won't work without -5v, or as mentioned above they won't even boot.

Edited by Flinnster - 04 Aug 2018 at 10:48pm

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
deanzor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deanzor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2018 at 10:50pm
In this instance, I'd chopped the end off a kettle lead and plugged it directly into the mains via an extension cord. I just wanted to test out my Mr Driller 2 board (and the video on a gutted DK monitor) to see if the signs were promising ahead of me putting it all together properly when my control panel arrives next week.

Not impossible that the multimeter isn't great - borrowed it off my dad and it's about 20 years old .

EDIT: Tested the voltage on a couple of new AA Duracell batteries. Both metered at 1.63v. Says 1.5v on the side of the battery - close enough?

Edited by deanzor - 04 Aug 2018 at 11:27pm
RaveN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaveN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:46pm
You don't mention if you took the voltage readings with the Mr Driller 2 board connected or not.

Welcome to bonus stage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic