Forum Home Forum Home > Virtuality > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Silverline Monitor Magic Smoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefsolid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Silverline Monitor Magic Smoke
    Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:57pm
Hi,

I'm looking to see if I can get some advice to point me in the right direction, my story is as follows:

Skipped down to the garage this morning to switch on my 'new' (Picked up last week, working fine) Silverline Jamma cab. Flipped on the power to be greeted by the sounds of sparks and the smell of magic smoke! :-(

Quickly switched it off and opened the back then retried it and I could see arcing between what I think are two resisters (I am not good with electronics) photo below.
The game music came on etc but the monitor is obviously not in a good place.

In retrospect the machine has been off all week and its cold in the garage although not damp. I suspect something has got damp and caused the arcing of the components but either way that's old news now as I now need a bit of a steer on what to do next.
I'm thinking I need to discharge the monitor and remove the chassis to have it looked at try to fix it etc but frankly I have no idea so I'm looking for a steer please!

I've included some photos below to aid in identifying the chassis/screen, it's a Samsung 51ggd95x-tc if that information helps.

Thanks for any assistance. CryCry

Chef.

Current Cabs
----------------
Atomiswave Candy
DinoKing Candy
Silverline Jamma
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:29pm
looks like a Kortek chassis, I think. Someone else will probably be able to ID the model. The tube make is largely irrelevant.

I think the key phrase here is "Skipped down to the garage this morning". You may not think it's damp in the garage, but I bet the humidity level in there is high, due to the recent wet weather. Unless you have a dehumidifier? Seems old electronics (and particularly chassis) really don't like high air moisture content.

chefsolid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefsolid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:40pm
Thanks for the feedback, I agree no doubt I made an mistake turning it on in the humid environment. Next step is to get it fixed!

Thanks
Chef.

Current Cabs
----------------
Atomiswave Candy
DinoKing Candy
Silverline Jamma
Del Griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 2:46pm
As above looks like a kortek. If it’s cold in the garage it will be damp even if it doesn’t seem wet and as things warm up inside the cab it will turn that cold air to water.

I’d discharge the monitor and send the chassis off to gunblade to check over and repair.

Capacitors on the monitor chassis don’t operate well in cold weather so it’s best not to turn them on at this time of year unless you have a heater and dehumidifier running.

Wanted street fighter 1 electrocoin cab
chefsolid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chefsolid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:46pm
I noticed I have posted this in the wrong section. If someone could move it to keep things tidy I would appreciate it. 

Thanks
Chef.

Current Cabs
----------------
Atomiswave Candy
DinoKing Candy
Silverline Jamma
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:37pm
Looks like you've let the ms out of the flyback of that Kortek KTN-F20

Edited by AnDyC - 02 Dec 2018 at 10:41pm
Mwahahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic