Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

SIMPSONS 4 PLAYER UK CAB RESTORATION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SIMPSONS 4 PLAYER UK CAB RESTORATION
    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:21pm
So this might be a thread eventually. But I just wanted to share my 90% finished product. It was my first restore and I know that Konami 4 players are marmite for some but this has huge nostalgic value for me and is the closest thing I would get to a grail cab.

It isn't perfect and I have made a ton of mistakes along the way, but I am really chuffed with what I have achieved and never want to see paint stripper ever again.

Just a couple of pics to show what we went from to where we are now.

Thanks to Supersprint for the cab, Olly for the Art and Grsnt for the monitor repair.

Edited by antray84 - 07 Sep 2021 at 6:30pm
Big Apple 3am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
Wow, it looks great! Well done! Now to get 3 mates over and enjoy! This and 4 player Turtles Arcade was always a classic.

Love it.
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:02pm
lt looks really good, you've done a great job.

SUPERSPRINT View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERSPRINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:14pm
Wow, you went to town on that game Anthony, looks fantastic.
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:17pm
Very nice mate , you gotta love simpsons.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 8:49pm
Thanks guys, I thought it was time I actually stood up to the plate and got my hands dirty, and they got very dirty. 

I have had to shift all my cabs apart from this and a couple of others. I am moving to a smaller space and I have decided I want my cabs clean and restored. They need to look good in a living space even when they are turned off. 

This was a project I always wanted to take on, as between this and the Turtles you are talking about my favourite games as a kid. Repetitive now for sure, but I can still play it for hours and I really wanna do a 1 Credit Clear (it's possible) Also have a Vendetta 4 player pcb that I can swap in. 

Anyway it really has consumed me for the last 2 months off and on. I have learned so much and realised a lot about this hobby and what it really is all about. I surprised myself with how invested I was in the whole project, but the thought of doing it again is harrowing. 
Big Apple 3am
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 9:40pm
If your not sure or just want tips on things it's worth asking on here what others do just to get ideas, easier ways around things

Amazing how much time it takes isn't it, spend a week on things and doesn't seem like you've not got much done. I enjoy doing the work and when you go from something looking rough to looking great it's a good feeling

Looks so much better nowThumbs Up 

Now I don't usually like it much when people change colour of T-Moulding when they do cabs up, specially when they put bling chrome stuff on em, but I do think the yellow on this looks much better than the black, I like itSmile
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2021 at 10:19pm
It was the one area I took a creative liberty as I knew I was right and Konami were wrong
Big Apple 3am
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:11am
This looks great, really good work.

How are you finding it? Its a great fun game with 4 players.. And a classic, sadly I find it really repetitive game and no fun on your own.
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Amb47uk Amb47uk wrote:

How are you finding it? Its a great fun game with 4 players.. And a classic, sadly I find it really repetitive game and no fun on your own.

I didn't buy one for ages for that very reason. Turtles and Simpsons were my games as a kid along with Wrestlefest and Street Fighter, but those don't really have a unique dedicated cab (at least not in this country). But I knew that (as with all liner games) you can only beat it so many times. But I just kept wanting one despite that so I eventually pulled the trigger, and it was only my love for the game that got me to put the time into the restore it that I did.

As for the game itself, it is one of the better brawlers I find. It isn't something you can play all the time but that is why I got a Vandetta PCB too to swap out. I would love a Turtles in Time one but I would need to sell a Kidney. 

I also want to do a One Credit clear on it and I am enjoying finding the best tactics to lock enemies and predict AI movement patterns. 4 players is where it is at that. I hope to get a few of those in over the next few months. 

Ben over at One Credit Classics youtube channel has done some great Arcade Brawler clears and it is surprising how many glitches and tactics there are to discover and use to beat the games. 

Thanks for all the kind words. This year has been really hard and I am so glad to have this to show for it. 
Big Apple 3am
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 7:51am
I forgot to ask, where did you get the t-moulding from and what type did you get?
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 9:01am
Originally posted by antray84 antray84 wrote:

Originally posted by Amb47uk Amb47uk wrote:

I didn't buy one for ages for that very reason. Turtles and Simpsons were my games as a kid along with Wrestlefest and Street Fighter, but those don't really have a unique dedicated cab (at least not in this country). But I knew that (as with all liner games) you can only beat it so many times. But I just kept wanting one despite that so I eventually pulled the trigger, and it was only my love for the game that got me to put the time into the restore it that I did.

As for the game itself, it is one of the better brawlers I find. It isn't something you can play all the time but that is why I got a Vandetta PCB too to swap out. I would love a Turtles in Time one but I would need to sell a Kidney. 

I also want to do a One Credit clear on it and I am enjoying finding the best tactics to lock enemies and predict AI movement patterns. 4 players is where it is at that. I hope to get a few of those in over the next few months. 

Ben over at One Credit Classics youtube channel has done some great Arcade Brawler clears and it is surprising how many glitches and tactics there are to discover and use to beat the games. 

Thanks for all the kind words. This year has been really hard and I am so glad to have this to show for it. 

It's the same for many games though, Double Dragon was awesome when 2 of us played it and had the fight at the end, my mate just used to run round avoiding me, on your own it's still enjoyable playing it but not as fun at the end, rampage is great game when 2 or 3 of you playing, but on your own there really don't seem much point to the game at all. 

Still well worth having them thoughSmile and part of the fun is making it look like you have, gotta enjoy it more after all the effort Approve
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 9:43am
Fantastic work mate, turned out lovely. Echoing what's been said above - usually I can't stand coloured t-molding, but for this it really works!
Repro + NOS Artwork & Sega parts supplier, pm me or visit http://arcadeartshop.com
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by K1ngarth3r K1ngarth3r wrote:

I forgot to ask, where did you get the t-moulding from and what type did you get?
I believe it was 3/4 inch from Arcade World UK. Just standard yellow colour. Was really easy to put on.
Big Apple 3am
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:33am
Awesome, how much did you need? I fancy using pink on mine. 
jinq-sea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinq-sea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 10:36am
Looks excellent! Nice work. Well worth the time spent.
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by K1ngarth3r K1ngarth3r wrote:

Awesome, how much did you need? I fancy using pink on mine. 

Was 50ft which is just about enough but you can't really screw up. Cost £30 ish.

Pink is cool. Of a light blue would also work I imagine.
Big Apple 3am
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 12:56pm
Thanks a lot :)
Cwifters View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cwifters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:23am
Hi mate. Nice restoration. I have the UK version of the 4 player Xmen cab which also has a single coin door, however coin mech and counter were missing when I bought cab. Really want to restore with a working coin mech but can't seem to find one that does the single coin stored credit (US version has muliple coin doors but uk version u choose which player to credit). Could you please tell me the make/model of the coin mech and credit board in your cabinet? Thanks, Cwifters
antray84 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antray84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:57am
Hi. My coin mech was buster so I just wired the player select buttons up to add credits. But the original mech is a Quattro 4 way. Sometimes come up on ebay. 
Big Apple 3am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic