FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Sky Skipper cabinet #3 is done!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sky Skipper cabinet #3 is done!
    Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:16am
This has been on the back burner for a LONG time. Finally got a little time to source the pieces I was missing, and a couple of evenings to get it done.

Started out with a very sad and dirty Popeye cabinet, came straight over from the USA via Craig Walker. I was debating for a long time whether to sand down, fill and paint it, but I thought in the end I'd leave it as it was, with battle scars and operator stickers intact.

Being part of the Sky Skipper project I was allowed to create one set of artwork myself for my own cab, so this is using my own prints. This is the first cabinet not to use a TNX pcb, and uses a standard TPP2 Popeye pcb, which was expertly converted by Porchy.

First job, strip down and give the whole thing a proper clean. Was really quite nice under the dirt.
Then went on with a new set of t-molding which improved things immediately.

New Mike's arcade single coin door, NOS mech, and original service switch and loom cleaned up and fitted.

On the cab with some new chrome bolts.

Control panel was completely stripped down, fitted with a new 8-way restrictor plate from virtvic and new overlay and instruction card, and fitted to the cab.

Interesting thing is Nintendo left the extra button hole in the wooden panel AND all the wiring is there as well, so it was really simple to add in the 'speed' button.

I was missing a few bits when the cab arrived, video cable, psu died and wanted some new buttons etc. Fitted a Mike's Arcade switcher kit to take care of the power without hacking up any of the loom.

I fitted a warm white led strip light, same width as the original one and could even use the original screws and holes to mount it. Link below - warm white / 5w 300mm.

Here's the pcb. Some nice modifications and custom stuff on there.

Wiring all done and pcb fitted.

First power up didn't go well, just booted to various bits of garbage.
Porchy gave me some real-time help and after some reseating of chips etc it was happy days.

Pulled out the pieces of art I've had stashed for ages.

And there we go, all done. And looks bloody magnificent I think!

My Nintendo pair. I really do love these cabs.

Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
K1ngarth3r View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K1ngarth3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:38am
It looks fantastic, especially next to Donkey Kong. You do great restores.
Most wanted PCBs: Ghouls N Ghosts, Splaterhouse, Rainbow Islands & Bubble Bobble
Shinydaz View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:40am
Fantastic Olly, well done to all involved
Out of room but always room for one more !
Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:09am
And the story continues...
For all your hard work in the project you finally have your own.
Absolutely fantastic mate.
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:19am
Originally posted by Chuckie egg Chuckie egg wrote:

And the story continues...
For all your hard work in the project you finally have your own.
Absolutely fantastic mate.

I actually had 30 minutes playing it last night. All the time spent on it and I never actually played the game properly before! I think there's more to it than meets the eye with bonuses and stuff so looking forward to really getting in to it.
tin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:20am
Superb!
mysticmonk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mysticmonk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:23am
Looks very good, nice work :)
namfreak View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote namfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:45am
What a lovely pair!..............of cabs

I love the illusion of depth the almost vertical bezel and the deeply recessed monitor give on these Nintendo cabs.
davwallace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davwallace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:49am
That looks fantastic, good job, hope to play one of these cabs one day to see what they'd have been like.
Brettster View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brettster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:11pm
wow stunning work as usual :)

Looking for More Space!!
iamjimmi View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:18pm
Superb! Love it...
Amb47uk View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amb47uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:20pm
oh woww

Ace` View Drop Down
User
User
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:27pm
Very nice, Sky Skipper is a lot more fun than Popeye. Tongue
Popeye64 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Popeye64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Fantastic work and a beautiful pairing Beer
Eddhorse View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:25pm
Amazing work, the artwork really pulls it all together, Well done to all in this project.
qjuk View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qjuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:03pm
That looks really nice Olly, a superb conversion.

What a great addition to have next to the DK Thumbs Up
TheDaddy View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:20pm
Looking nice mate.

Dave.
AKA Wonderboy. If there is such a thing as reincarnation , knowing my luck , I will come back as me !!
cheekibreeki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekibreeki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:16pm
They look amazing side by side Thumbs Up
jase38 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:43pm
Wow they do look great together, awesome work. Thumbs Up

How are you finding Sky Skipper? 
muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by jase38 jase38 wrote:

Wow they do look great together, awesome work. Thumbs Up

How are you finding Sky Skipper? 

It's funny - I've not given it any time at all until now, I didn't even get to play it at the Arcade Club reveal event as there was a big queue LOL

I've kinda been waiting to get in to it once I finished this cab, so I'd have the incentive to get it done really. Now I've started playing it properly, I think there's a little more to it than meets the eye as with all Nintendo games so gonna start trying for some good scores.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic