ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Pinball > Restoration Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

South Coast Slam 14 IJ Prize Restore

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: South Coast Slam 14 IJ Prize Restore
    Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 12:15am
As you may or may not be aware, at this Easter's South Coast Slam we will be raffling as top prize (in the Pinball Section) as Williams INDIANA Jones Pinball machine with all proceeds going to charity. We wont lie or hide from criticism but frankly the machine isn't the nicest specimen out there... However - this is the Slam and this is a prize we want people to be in awe of! So behold its transformation!

Courtesy of a trade-price set of Repro Indiana Jones artwork from Pinball Heaven (www.pinballheaven.co.uk) we can make this baby have a bit more colour and flesh and far far more valuable. And so, Matt Adams who has a backlog of re-decalling jobs (and also did Olls thing of beatury I hasten to add) came round to my unit today as he needed the room after his relocation and it was a pleasure to attempt to create a journal - first time I've seen decalling done: I think you all might like the story too:

So lets start!:

1. Matt and I get the bad boy on his trusty B&D workbench:

2. Takedown commences (notice Movember's Sombrero Lara Croft making sure we didnt feck it up) !:

3. Playfield out, on it side, ready for fellow pinner Ivan Durneen to start the rework (pics soon) on the play area:

4. Cab being stripped (mid process):

5. We strip fasteners into two red boxes - black stuff for re-spraying before refit and others for general not on display fasteners:

6. Matt starts but detaching the siderails by splitting the double sided tape adhesive in a true manly fashion!:

7. Hot air gun is now utilised to strip the original artwork off:

Exclusive! 10 Second video of this blow-job in action!:

8. After an hour (or so) Side 1 loses its sun-fadedness:

9. Ok I admit it - I went home for soup and a defrost, but another hour later when I return the other side is decal-free:

10. Matt starts on the backbox:

11. Begone sh*tty decals!

12. Matt would normally start using white spirits and chemicals to remove gook and glue at this stage, but as it has it the Spanish sun as baked this machine to within an inch of its glues resistance and he can skip this stage and go straight to razor blade and random-movement (with wicked suck up the dust hooker!) to get the crapola off:

13. close-up please! Matt tried to explain that you need as non rotational sander that moves randomly and not just circular as that would feck the ply. I forgot his terms but just too a funky picture and nodded knowledgeably ;) :

14. Mid afternoon tea break and a dramatic pose from the Indy:

15. 15:30 and time to quit as Matt has to go see Derren Brown with my tickets (damned colds and ill missuses) A last glancing shot after approximately 5 hours work:

So until next time - fillings next, then the big one, I'll document by session. Its interesting aint it?

Regardless at the end of it we're effectively (for free) adding +£1k to the value of this pin at least and its all for charity at the end of the day. We all like to do our part and I ask you indulge me by backing the slam, buying raffles tickets, pledging cabs for the event and generally making me proud of Ukvac's commitment. Together as a community we'll make the community better :) R
Danscu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Danscu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 7:25pm
This is a great read and going to be really interesting watching it progress.  Its awesome you guys are doing all of this for charity tooThumbs Up
Sciddleybop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sciddleybop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 7:36pm
I can see me spending LOTS of money on raffle tickets!!
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 7:53pm
Someone's going home very happy after the slam weekend taking that pin with them!. Good pics so far.

Edited by smarty - 14 Feb 2014 at 7:55pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 7:53pm
Great work and a great prize, someone will be extremely lucky in April!!!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

flipout2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flipout2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 8:53pm
"We have top men working on it right now"
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 8:58pm
Awesome guys Clap Big smile, I'll share this about Smile
We are the 45
chubsta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chubsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 9:01pm
will there be loads of raffle prizes like in previous years or just the big two games? Either way i will make sure i get a couple of tickets, awesome prizes!
Selling up and movin' on...
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 9:37pm
other raffle prizes too!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2014 at 10:33pm
Great stuff Thumbs Up
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
tatty-adams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatty-adams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 9:11am
Great write up Rav although I would like to stress that I have never used a hooker to suck my dust up!! This (along with the IJ cab) has got to be the best prize ever offered at a UK meet!
silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 10:55am
I'm not bothered about the RAFFLE or PRIZE but this seem like a great cause. which charity is it and can I make a donation please
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2014 at 11:36am
All profits from the Slam go to a charity called echo (http://www.echo-evelina.org.uk/ and has a donation link there)

Echo provides support for children and young people with heart conditions who receive treatment at the Evelina Children’s Hospital and the outreach clinics at local General Hospitals attended by Evelina Cardiologists. They also extend a lifeline to their family & carers. They are here to provide information, friendship and moral support from infancy to adulthood, especially at times of high anxiety for the patient and/or his or her family/carers as well as to supply equipment to the hospital which will improve the patient/family experience both as an inpatient and at home.

We learnt about  ECHO via a brilliant young player Oscar who can now lead a full life after heart surgery and after meeting him we knew we had the Slam's charity picked immediately.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic