ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Space Fever Cocktail Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Fever Cocktail Project
    Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:38pm
Project Update/Opening Post tidy-up:
Here are some links to the parts and info spread around this project thread

KLOV Listing - Basic info on game
Manual - This is for the Colour version but some of the info is relevant to the Black&White version
Space Fever Restoration - Tony Temple's great blog on his Space Fever restoration project. This was basically my one-stop guide for my own project and cannot recommend it enough. Cheers Tony Thumbs Up
Arcade Switching PSU - I went with this RS PSU in the end so I could fit it in the original PSU case. Connectors
Felt Strip - 10mm wide (can be cut to 5mm wide by supplier), 2mm thick. Need ~3m per table. 
Alternative Felt Strip - 10mm wide, 1mm thick. Thanks to rocomat for the link.
Artwork  - Control Panel Overlays, Instruction Sheets, Coin Label from Tony (aeroflott) Cheers again.
CPO Vinyl - From Olly (muddymusic) at arcade art shop. Cheers Olly Thumbs Up
Fire Buttons - Repros from Virtvic. Last I heard these were the last ones but he might do a re-run. Cheers Vic Thumbs Up
Repro Leg Levellers - Plan to make some smaller ones soon as these are a little too high. 

To do:
Strip cabinet down again...Cry
Fit New Melamine Edging - Sold by rocomat here
Sandblast parts
Powder Coat Parts
Re-chrome glass hold down clamps and legs (maybe..£$£..Confused)
Re-build...Cry
Play again...Smile

Before
Current

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.

So I recently acquired my 2nd arcade machine, a Nintendo Space Fever Cocktail. It was in a OK condition with quite a bit of rust all over the body.

It was sold as not working but I collected it anyway and went to work learning and trying to figure out what the problem was. Removed PCB boards, monitor, Power Supply and Transformer.

As you can see there was no power cable attached to the supply of the transformer. Fitted a new cable to the transformer between 0v-220v and re-soldered the connections of the 0-100v cable, getting rid of the chock-block.
Re-fitted all the parts back into the cabinet and connected up all the connectors. Switched it on an she came to life.

As you can probably tell, this is not Space Fever. I think I also have a bootleg version of Space Galaxy after reading Tony's Space Fever restoration on arcadeblogger.com
Anyway, the game plays perfect on both sides and the screen barely needed any adjustments.
It's an addictive game and I'm certainly enjoying having a second game in the garage. Turning more into a games room every week.

So now the project begins as I want to bring this back to its former glory. I think I'm pretty much going to follow what Tony did in his restoration but first I have to locate some missing items.

• Top Glass. The previous owner said it didn't have a top glass but would have a look to see if it was in the back with some other glass. He came out with a piece of glass that fit exactly but was black in colour. He said I could have it anyway but I've not put it on as I think it looks better without. Once I got home I gave it a closer inspection. It has a few scuffs to the paint and 'Taito' in the corner. May have come from a Space Invaders Cocktail at some point.
  • Glass hold-down Plates.
  • Coin Plate & Mech. Just have a hole with the 2 loose coin-up cables that I was touching together. Soldered a temp push button for now.
  • Player 1 & 2 Panel Labels.
  • Instruction Labels.
  • Space Fever PCBs. Does anyone know if the chips are interchangeable to turn this PCB into a Space Fever? If so, does anyone know where I could get these chips? If not, I'll be on the lookout for the boards.
  • Bezel? I think there should be a black bezel around the monitor. Anyone know if this is correct?
Should be a nice project and I'll try to keep this updated as I go.
Thanks for reading.
Jon

Edited by JonTron - 24 Oct 2017 at 11:20pm
Danny Ogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Ogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:43am
Im am currently restoring a Space Fever Cocktail. It is a slow process for me, since the cab was empty when i got mine. Got all the artwork for it, but yous should probaly talk to Alex (chuckie egg) first, he has helped me out a lot! (Thanks again Alex).

deadmatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:47am
I also have a Space Fever cocktail that I was originally going to turn in to a Donkey Kong, but finding DK control panels and PCB for a reasonable price is proving difficult. So I was just starting to think about restoring it as is... When I have time to get back in to this hobby properly that is. Watching this thread with interest :-)
Wanted: Nintendo Space Fever parts
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 12:57pm
The pcb (if not hacked) is a straight eeprom swap. Depending on how many sockets you have on that pcb, you can play at least 3 different games on it (I do on mine)

You will need a kind soul to burn you some ancient 2708 eeproms.

Space Fever
Space Fever Hi Splitter
Space Launcher
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Danny Ogg Danny Ogg wrote:

Im am currently restoring a Space Fever Cocktail. It is a slow process for me, since the cab was empty when i got mine. Got all the artwork for it, but yous should probaly talk to Alex (chuckie egg) first, he has helped me out a lot! (Thanks again Alex).

How far through your restoration are you? I actually have the HiRes artwork now from Tony. I'll look at ways to get them printed in the new year. I'll definitely send Alex a message, thanks. 

Originally posted by deadmatty deadmatty wrote:

I also have a Space Fever cocktail that I was originally going to turn in to a Donkey Kong, but finding DK control panels and PCB for a reasonable price is proving difficult. So I was just starting to think about restoring it as is... When I have time to get back in to this hobby properly that is. Watching this thread with interest :-)

Nice. My project will be dictated by finance too. Looking to get 1 or 2 items done every month.

Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

The pcb (if not hacked) is a straight eeprom swap. Depending on how many sockets you have on that pcb, you can play at least 3 different games on it (I do on mine)

You will need a kind soul to burn you some ancient 2708 eeproms.

Space Fever
Space Fever Hi Splitter
Space Launcher

Any ideas where I could find such a kind soul?
Looks like I have 12 sockets for the roms. Am I right in thinking Space Fever has 7? It may well be a bootleg. Wont know until I see a real SF board to compare or just find the roms and try it out.
deadmatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by JonTron JonTron wrote:

Any ideas where I could find such a kind soul?

I could burn them if you have the eeproms... I only have 2716's and 32's at the moment

Mat
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by deadmatty deadmatty wrote:

I could burn them if you have the eeproms... I only have 2716's and 32's at the moment

Mat

That would be great. I'll keep it in mind if I see them on my travels.
What's your opinion on the 2708 to 2716 adapters? Just read a few things about it after a quick search for 2708 eeproms. Would they work with 2716 eproms in this application do you know?

Thanks again.

Edited by JonTron - 08 Dec 2016 at 11:31pm
deadmatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote deadmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 12:35pm

What's your opinion on the 2708 to 2716 adapters? Just read a few things about it after a quick search for 2708 eeproms. Would they work with 2716 eproms in this application do you know?

I've not had cause to try them... I'm still very much a novice, but I have an eprom programmer and eraser and I've successfully read and written to 2716 and 32's... I should probably check my programmer works for 2708's before offering my services.. I'll check tonight :-)
Danny Ogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Ogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2016 at 8:07pm
So, i know that my boards have issues, i hope i can count on you guys for help in the future?! ;)
deadmatty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 11:35am
Oops, my programmer doesn't do 2708's. If you need 2716's or 32's I'm you man though :-)
JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 1:08pm
No problem. Think i would have to get a Space Fever board anyway. Removed my board after the game developed a fault on Saturday. The back of the boards have jumper cables all over which look like they were added during the conversion to what i have now. Fault isnt my boards though as the PSU started smoking...looks like i have a power supply rebuild this week..
Once i have a stable cabinet again i could take a look at your boards Danny. Maybe something fixable using a good cabinet for testing.
aeroflott View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
A different league

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeroflott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 1:15pm
Yeah I had the same problem when trying to convert the game to Space Fever thinking it was a simple ROM swap. It didn't work, even though the boards appear to be the same, as JonTron says there's jumpers all over the back of it. I assume it could be reversed?

JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 1:47pm
Yes, ithink it could be reversed but would be a lot of work. On my board they have scored all the traces away where they have added jumpers. Would take a long time to reconnect them all if you found them all. I'll post a picture later.
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 5:33pm
There are some very clever people on here who can do a single rom hack, but it's just whether they have the time or inclination to do such a hack for a fairly unknown game...

Would be cool if they could, or even a multigame single rom.

Check out the podcast

JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:09pm

There are some very clever people on here who can do a single rom hack, but it's just whether they have the time or inclination to do such a hack for a fairly unknown game...

Would be cool if they could, or even a multigame single rom.

That would be good but it's no good for my board as I will show with the following pictures.

Like I said earlier, the board has been scored and jumper wires attached all over the place. This must have been done when the bootleg ROMs were installed right? The board would not have come from Nintendo like this would it?

I think if I was to replace the chips with Space Fever Roms then the back of the board would end up looking like more of a Snakes Wedding than it already does.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PSU Fault
On Saturday my PSU started smoking. Took it apart yesterday.

Top right as had some trauma I think.

Replaced jumper cable at same time as new capacitor.
New 1000uF 50v cap replaced the 1000uF 16v. Cleaned out the old toasty pad from out under Inductor L1. Don't have one of these on hand so may rewind if required.

Tested PSU and all voltages are good except +5v (getting 0v). More investigation required. I have schematics for the TSC-PP power supply but cant find the TSF-PP wiring diagram. TSC looks very similar but perhaps a little newer as some IC's have replaced some transistors on my board. It's a starting point at least and it's not smoking anymore so that's a positive.

Not the start I wanted to my restoration as I thought I had a fully working game and could concentrate on the cosmetics. I do like the challenge of fixing it though. We'll see how long that lasts...

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 8:21pm
If I were you, I'd throw that power supply away and just wire in a switcher. They are much more reliable.
There is an epoxied part in that original psu that is very hard to replicate and is probably what should be providing your +5v.

Check out the podcast

JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 9:59pm
You may be right. Got any links to some good ones? Sticking point in my search is the need for +24v @0.3A. Other outputs are +/-5v and +12v.

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Cabaret King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:08pm
The +24v is only needed for the coin counter. Ignore it.

Check out the podcast

JonTron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonTron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:16pm

The +24v is only needed for the coin counter. Ignore it.

Ahh, good to know thanks.
Danny Ogg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Ogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2016 at 8:27pm

No problem. Think i would have to get a Space Fever board anyway. Removed my board after the game developed a fault on Saturday. The back of the boards have jumper cables all over which look like they were added during the conversion to what i have now. Fault isnt my boards though as the PSU started smoking...looks like i have a power supply rebuild this week..
Once i have a stable cabinet again i could take a look at your boards Danny. Maybe something fixable using a good cabinet for testing.

Okeli Dokeli!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic