ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Space Harrier Flight Yoke

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Space Harrier Flight Yoke
    Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:17am
Recently picked up a really cheap upright SH cabinet. Other than the flight yoke and a cap kit, this thing was a crazy good deal. No cabinet damage at all and PCB's check out. Barely even any cig burns. 

Has anyone here ever rebuilt the flight yoke on one of these things? Looks a bit intimidating from the manual. There are a million little pieces - any advice on how to troubleshoot which parts are good and not? It would take forever to isolate each piece (probably not possible actually). Should the whole thing just be taken apart, each piece cleaned thoroughly, and reassembled? Powder coat the grip handles? I've been searching blogs, forums, etc. and don't see any logs of the control panels being rebuilt really.

dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:22am
I've done it for AfterBurner, which is relatively complex.

You should be fine. Dismantle and clean every component and reassemble. Just photo every step of the way.

Is your existing handle gunmetal or silver? I believe the gunmetal can be hard to find a match for. You can sandblast and power-coat, or even use a dremel tool to sand it down yourself and then spray and clear coat if you are patient. 

ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:08pm
Thanks. I will keep logs along the way and post in case anyone may find it useful in the future.

The handles are a filthy, rough silver..all other Space Harriers I've played, regardless of which type of handle, has always been really smooth. But this thing feels about as pleasant as gripping sandpaper. I was thinking a fresh powdercoating would bring it back to life. Pic attached. Maybe it was sitting in a barn for some years or something. 

BTW I love the reassembler blog, I'm a real sucker for the Sega classics!!

dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 7:21pm
Looks like it's been badly spray painted including the button?

There are a lot of similarities between the afterburner and the space harrier mech so might be worth reading through the problems I encountered on my afterburner restore as a reference point.

The main problems I ran I to were sourcing the bumper rubber components and having to rethread the shaft.

https://reassembler.blogspot.com/2018/08/afterburner-upright-arcade-machine.html

Where did you find the cab? Post some pics!

Edited by dj_yt - 10 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm
ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:51pm
I found it at an auction in Los Angeles for $1100. I had no intention of buying it, because I already own two, and I was planning on selling one anyway...but for 1100 bucks, what the hell. Why not?  I'm actually trying to downsize the collection, but...you know, I was bored last week, and here we are Big smile

Just a question of how much work I want to do vs. a finite amount of space in my apartment!! Pics shortly

ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:57pm
ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:06pm
And yes, the grip appears to have been spray painted - but I don't think that's the original button. It's just a hard piece of metal, can't press it in or anything. I have some NOS buttons that can take its place though!
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:18pm
Wow. 3 Space Harriers in a row! Are you Jodo's long lost US cousin?! LOL

We can't ever get you two together. It would be like the keymaster meeting the gatekeeper.

Edited by dj_yt - 10 Aug 2018 at 9:18pm
ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 9:32pm
LOL

I've got an original SH advertisement flyer too, distributed to operators in the EU. The game is really quite brilliant.

I need a deluxe to complete the collection!!
iamjimmi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 10:44pm
3 harriers in a line up... nice!

If you have any spare boards stashed away, I'm on the look out for an amp and game board stack...
ian_us View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 11:33pm
No spare PCB's unfortunately, although occasionally you see SH/Enduro Racer board sets come up on Ebay nonworking. Sega amps I see on ebay all the time.

If you see something on Ebay or Klov that ships US only I can forward it if you reimburse me.

That said, I have a spare fully functioning cabinet you can have, but good luck sneaking it on your flight home!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic