Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > Auctions & Ebay Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Star Wars Cockpit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:32am
Originally posted by kidyamlo kidyamlo wrote:

Originally posted by John Bennett John Bennett wrote:

I pined for a SW cockpit for so long, fully aware of the price... then settled on an upright and couldn't be happier. If I didn't have one I would already have done the man maths and offered (subject to inspection, accompanied by somebody who knows more than I do) 6K on this, fully expecting NOT to get it. You won't get one over from the States in this condition for anything less than 6K. I still want to know more about this particular cab's provenance and service history.

You'd pay £6000 for a vintage arcade cabinet?

I don't think there's anything gaming-wise I'd pay even £1500 for*, but I recognise it's an individual thing.

*well, Ridge Racer Full Scale, perhaps the exception

I don't have a Scrooge McDuck room or anything, and I'd think long and hard about it, but in this case I probably would. I couldn't have done so at many points in my life (and may not be able to do so again at more to come) but right now yes. I'd likely push a few other decent cabs out the other side of the bed to balance my nerves. The gamble, of course, is the projected retention of value and the obvious maintenance. Nobody sane doesn't want to break even if the sh*t hits the fan...

Anyway, I'm NOT buying it or going anywhere near it! :)

You are just kidding yourself!!

You are as I type considering where you could put it in your house and what you could shuffle around to get it in.  Wink
kidyamlo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:34am
Originally posted by patloz patloz wrote:

I pined for a SW cockpit for so long, fully aware of the price... then settled on an upright and couldn't be happier. If I didn't have one I would already have done the man maths and offered (subject to inspection, accompanied by somebody who knows more than I do) 6K on this, fully expecting NOT to get it. You won't get one over from the States in this condition for anything less than 6K. I still want to know more about this particular cab's provenance and service history.

I don't think there's anything gaming-wise I'd pay even £1500 for*, but I recognise it's an individual thing.

I don't have a Scrooge McDuck room or anything, and I'd think long and hard about it, but in this case I probably would. I couldn't have done so at many points in my life (and may not be able to do so again at more to come) but right now yes. I'd likely push a few other decent cabs out the other side of the bed to balance my nerves. The gamble, of course, is the projected retention of value and the obvious maintenance. Nobody sane doesn't want to break even if the sh*t hits the fan...

Anyway, I'm NOT buying it or going anywhere near it! :)

You are just kidding yourself!!

You are as I type considering where you could put it in your house and what you could shuffle around to get it in.  Wink

Oh I do that all the time anyway, with anything. Isn't that the curse of the arcade game collector? :)

Along with free marketing for the seller by talking about this on a forum.

Edited by kidyamlo - 05 Sep 2019 at 10:36am
videogamevampires.co.uk
John Bennett View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
Rather than spare cash or space, for me I think it's more that it's now so far removed from what I considered things worth 20 years ago that my mind just says 'you don't really want anything that isn't a few hundred quid'

Edited by John Bennett - 05 Sep 2019 at 11:28am
http://www.philwip.com -sibling 'fix-off' (I’m losing by miles).
J69 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 11:54am

I paid £6500 for a NIB WOZ pinball a few years back. Sold it at a loss when I bought a new house and now they are selling for more than they were new! Cry

There are collectors on the pinball forum who buy every new Stern pin at £9k a pop, 3 or 4 times a year. Then sell them on ebay 6 months later at a loss. They've obviously got a lot more expendable income than me!
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 5:06pm
I think the whole Star Wars upright selling for £5k has skewed everyones valuation of what a Star Wars cab should go for.   I still think that's a one off, an UR in working and in nice nick should be 2-2.5k tops, a cockpit a bit more but then again far fewer people have space for one so maybe not that much more.   I may well be wrong and this is the new reality, time will tell I guess.   

I think there's a temporary blip, some people have reached there 50's and decided to splurge on some mid life crisis toys which they'll soon regret buying when they break down after a few days and there isn't a 'Just fix my game' app to get it sorted :)

jm2pw

Dan
phillv85 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillv85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 6:09pm
If this worth £6k then F this hobby, it’s not for me anymore.
kidyamlo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2019 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

I think the whole Star Wars upright selling for £5k has skewed everyones valuation of what a Star Wars cab should go for.   I still think that's a one off, an UR in working and in nice nick should be 2-2.5k tops, a cockpit a bit more but then again far fewer people have space for one so maybe not that much more.   I may well be wrong and this is the new reality, time will tell I guess.   

I think there's a temporary blip, some people have reached there 50's and decided to splurge on some mid life crisis toys which they'll soon regret buying when they break down after a few days and there isn't a 'Just fix my game' app to get it sorted :)

jm2pw

Dan

You might be right. I was going to say that to bring this one over (for example - seeing as it looks equally nice) would see you knocking on £6K all-in (including domestic US transportation and temporary storage) and that's before you'd even had it gone through, but then again it's sat there for while now. This guy was asking 7K (or a trade for a Metallica LE) for his restored cab which you could obviously eat your dinner off. Wonder if he got what he wanted.

Edited by kidyamlo - 05 Sep 2019 at 10:55pm
videogamevampires.co.uk
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2019 at 12:28am
One of the last truly original Star Wars games in existence.
Hmmm. Does that mean it still has a 'red is dead' LOPT then? Smile Looking at the size of the picture and poor vector alignment it's more likely a 19" Wells Gardner perhaps.

Anyhow, I was reminded only today of the (small) downside of avoiding a 'buy back all the cool sh*t from my yoof midlife crisis' (ie buying early and rarely selling anything) when I went to open the door of an old mini car... the catch was jammed and as I wrenched it the entire rear side of the car came out along with the door at floor/sill level. My how I laughed. Still, I now have a selection of l00k r@r3 spare parts that are worth more than the car would have sold for a few years back.

Still, I'll watch this auction with mild interest whilst I drum up the enthusiasm to repair my current sick games and maybe get the welder on a few cars before I have to get the dustpan and brush out instead....

Edited by karlcdoe - 06 Sep 2019 at 12:30am
Body pop View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 11:03am

Very very nice non working stand up sold last night for 1700 euro
Stevros View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 12:41pm
I paid £200 for a mint non worker, cost £800 to repair it, arcade club have it now.
No way is a non worker worth £1200
WANTED Space invaders PCB Please inbox me!
sicoe View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sicoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Stevros Stevros wrote:

I paid £200 for a mint non worker, cost £800 to repair it, arcade club have it now.
No way is a non worker worth £1200

Make that 1500 pounds, the dollar is terrible right now so even worse!
Body pop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Body pop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2019 at 2:06pm
Oh for some reason I thought it was Euro
I thought they would of been ok in this cab climate at that price
kidyamlo View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidyamlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:45pm
Relisted again at 10K. What. Is. The. Point?

Edited by kidyamlo - 11 Sep 2019 at 5:49pm
videogamevampires.co.uk
Darth Nuno View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Nuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2019 at 8:20am
My guess is the hype around Star Wars in general will fade away as the new movies really suck (well except Rogue One). Youngest collectors in the future may simply see that game like a great vector game to own. I really believe price for these will slowly go down...because old guys like us become more reasonable with the time and won't spend so much money for one game, which is not so rare.
www.dragonslairfans.com / www.arcadelifestyle.net
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 12:29am
Originally posted by Darth Nuno Darth Nuno wrote:

My guess is the hype around Star Wars in general will fade away as the new movies really suck (well except Rogue One).

Hmm, yes they do generally. In fact although I think I have seen all of the latest batch I can't remember much about them except Mark Hamill likes a drink of milk. Dead
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 9:21am
Pretty sure that's my old cockpit, which I got as a semi-shell from Bazfish.

I nicked the 25" Amp tube and put a shelf in and sat a 6100 on it. The corners were busted and the bottom edge had horrible drag damage in places so I bondo'd and painted it.

Sold it to a SW collector that owned a SW shop apparently - Birmingham way for £1500 delivered in about 2004!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Chopper79 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 23 minutes ago at 8:37pm
Now reduced to a very reasonable £9000! This is not the cab your looking for, move along..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic