ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Subelectro Hunchback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Subelectro Hunchback
    Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:39pm
Hey all,

I just picked this cab up from an ebay win today, I was looking a cheap cab to JAMMA up, but I'm feeling this should be cleaned up and kept original. Even if that is Bootleg original? I don't know anything about subelectro, The reverse of the marquee shows it was a Subelectro Scorpio, weather that was  the original game or just what was used I don't know.

Can anyone confirm the PCB is a hunchback? Photos are clickable. I've had a quick look but cannot see a similar board photo on the web. Its seems to have a big audio amp and a G07 Monitor.

A mouse had been living in the cab for some time and has eaten a fair bit of cable and the bottom of the chipboard cab is rotten from damp or mouse piss.

I'm in two minds about what to do as I already have a handfull of projects to be getting on with. What d'ya think?

Cheers, Mart.

In the back of the car before being unloaded at home

Paper instructions and an official License sticker 

PCB. Is this a Hunchback board?

A fairly popular game going by the coin counters

Greeted by this when the rear door came off.

Edited by smarty - 12 May 2013 at 9:40pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:48pm
You sure like to pick the difficult projects Wink
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
gridrunner View Drop Down
Ex-lurker!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gridrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:57pm
Bazfish mint.
Had to get that in. I'd be interested in buying the pcb if it is hunchback and you don't want it.
IDCHAPPY View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
KANFU Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IDCHAPPY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 9:57pm
We are the 45
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:07pm
Milky: All I wanted was a cheap cab to Jamma up :) I do remember Hunchback on the 8bit computers don't remember it in the arcades.

I saw the pcb on crazy Kong . mine looks like it was home made.

My board does have Subelectro 034 screened onto it. will sort out sm better photos tomorrow.
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
forcefulfil View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
EDOT King

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote forcefulfil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:10pm
its the sub electro hack as far as im aware!

UKVAC: The longest running UK Arcade forum on the net
favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:20pm
The PCB is an 'official' Galaxian hack.
Look at the playpack (black block in the Z80 socket) and it should have
'CENTURY ELECTRONICS ©1983 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED'
written on it.
Garry
guddler View Drop Down
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:35am
Yep, Hunchback was a century playpack so that's def. a Hunchback.

Weren't they ALL bootleg's? I didn't think there was such a thing as an original PCB, just conversions for Galaxian and Scramble?

I'm more interested in what a Subelectro Scorpio was (since I've owned Subelectro stuff in the past)? I'm going with a guess of Scramble.
PaulSwan View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
ZZZ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulSwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 3:25am
I thought there were versions of Hunchback for Galaxians, Scramble and CVS hardware (at least). The PlayPack is the security widget. Seems you have a Century kit applied to a Subelectro Galaxians-series board.
Not strictly a booty since it has the official PlayPack in it :)
Paul.

ZZZ
favouredson View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote favouredson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

Weren't they ALL bootleg's? I didn't think there was such a thing as an original PCB, just conversions for Galaxian and Scramble?

It was initially released on the dedicated CVS hardware.
I still have one around here somewhere.
Garry
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 7:12am
Thanks for all the pointers so far Smile

Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

I'm more interested in what a Subelectro Scorpio was (since I've owned Subelectro stuff in the past)? I'm going with a guess of Scramble.

Here's a photo with the marquee cleaned up.

It had a light coat of paint with the Hunchback stickers put over the top.

jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:57pm
Well I know the cab had some rot, after moving it around the garage to make some space one side of the base gave way.

Flipping it onto it's back and removing some rubber matting I was presented with this:

Rotten Chipboard at its best!

The was only one thing for it. It had to be removed, so out came the jigsaw and hand saw and below is where things currently stand.

Most of the rotten chipboard is gone

I still have more wood to chop away from the left side, I think I will probably make a complete new base section and fix it onto what remains of the existing cab. I'm making this all up as I go so any suggestions on how to complete the bottom section would be welcome.

Cheers, Mart.
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 3:48pm
I seem to have turned this thread into a resto so mods feel free to move it it you like.

With a long weekend ahead and good weather forecast, I decided to try and get the Subelectro cab back on its feet and get rid of all the remaining rotten chipboard. I was pretty much a case of using a jigsaw to cut away the damage then reconstructing the cab using new wood. 

I also primed and painted the new section of cab, sanded and sprayed the marquee holder and metal control panel, coupled with starting to put components back into the cab.

Photos below. Enjoy :)

Completely rebuilt base of cab
Primed and ready for top coat
I decided on dark brown as the colour instead of the usual black

Mains transformer and monitor being reinstalled

Marquee section complete, cpo sitting loose. I also fitted some new rubber matting at the base of the cab which was originally there.

I'm pretty damn happy with the results so far. The G07 monitor fired up which was a bonus to say the least. I couldn't get my test board to sync up correctly but I'm sure that was more to do with me rushing to test it with loose wiring than it being an actual fault. I also made an adapter to Jamma for the Hunchback board that was in the cab which I fired up on my test rig.

Hopefully in my next post, the cab will be pretty much complete, with controls reassembled, and with any luck I'll have decided which game/s will run in the cab.

Regards, Mart

jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED:
-
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 5:20pm
Looking really good! Thumbs UpFeeling guilty now that I pissed the weekend away doing nothing
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic