ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

TAB.AT Video-Pinball - Repair/Upgrade....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TAB.AT Video-Pinball - Repair/Upgrade....
    Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:36pm
I picked up a knackered Video-pinball table just under £200 delivered (via Martin). I'm going to have a half-arsed attempt to get the original setup working but ultimately it's going to have pinball-x inside.

Bearing in mind I have a knackered back the alarm bells should have started ringing when Martin said it was a heavy old lump when he dropped it off.

It must weigh over 200Kg - solid isn't the word.

It arrived in two sections - the top half is an industrial 42" plasma screen in a heavily over-engineered metal box. this has four large round-head hex bolts in the side that engage in a set of L-shaped slots in the base and then a spring loaded bolt holds the screen in place. Unfortunately the previous owner didn't spot this when dismantling it so undid them, bending the locking tab and loosing one of them. 

He also made a crap effort at drilling out the lock on the base - fortunately he didn't try the same on the front lock as that panel is plastic and would be broken by now.

penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 9:47pm
It was sold as non-working so I was surprised to see it was pretty much complete. Even the dongle was still plugged into the printer port on the PC.

I plugged a PC screen into the PC and sure enough - nothing, nadda just as the auction stated so out it came...

Take pics of what's plugged into where first...

So what do we have....

A custom plug that all the controls & coin-mech look like they are wired into, a Joystick/midi port with something else plugged in could be the two tilt switches I found under the control panel and a ps/2 plug I think the trackball connects into.

DVI cable to the screen, Audio out to a 2.1 SUB & speaker setup in the base, Printer-port dongle, and 12V output.

The 12V output powers two banks of cold-cathode lights in the base (as the sides are made out of white acrylic).

Edited by penrhos - 07 Dec 2018 at 9:50pm
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:20pm
First thing - let's see what we can do with the PC.

Video card is a bog-standard ATI 9600 PRO - works OK in my test PC.

It has a whole 512Mb of DDR ram - works OK in my test PC.

With all the cards removed and the hard drive disconnected the motherboard does - nothing.

Checked the CR2032 - and it's flat.

Replaced the CMOS battery with a brand new one and the PC POSTS.

Reconnected everything and tried again...

PC - Works but the hard drive starts loading windows XP and then BSOD's complaining that drive partition is un-mountable, drive is making a ticking noise so I'm pretty sure its fubar...

Plus point - the PSU is an SFX 300W one so I should be able to run an I5 CPU and a half decent video card (probably the 1030 I picked up from the forum this week).

Lets have a look at what looks like the only "custom" piece of equipment in the PC - the bottom card in this picture.

It only has one chip on it and is labelled "cctalk 50 poi sub-d". I'll have to do some digging to find out what it does as it'd be handy if I could find drivers for it so I can re-use it in the upgraded PC. failing that I have an A-Pac and a couple of other interface PCB's I could use but they would require me to re-wire the panel.

On the top of the PC I spotted a massive 50-pin centronics connector, it's attached to the slave IDE port on the motherboard, its exactly the same as used for those old school 5 1/4" drive-bay caddies. I just happen to have one in the garage I could use (or if I upgrade the PC I might fit an esata port there instead.

FinalFight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinalFight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:35pm
Never seen one of these before.. You got any links to vids of them running?
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by stegrey stegrey wrote:

Never seen one of these before.. You got any links to vids of them running?

Edited by penrhos - 07 Dec 2018 at 11:00pm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:29am
cctalk = coin mech

WTD: Rolling Thunder PCB
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

cctalk = coin mech

That's what I thought as the ribbon cable is connected to a C120 mech and there is a loose connector for an excel credit board under the panel and a service & test button with the wires in the same loom.

It could be doing something else as well as there aren't enough wires going to the Joystick port for all the buttons (unless there's an encoder PCB I've missed somewhere).

Having said that, the trackball goes to the mouse port and there's only four flipper, one plunger button & a Start button to interface.

There are two tilt switches too.

Edited by penrhos - 08 Dec 2018 at 11:49am
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:24am
Seems ccTalk is a protocol developed by Coin Controls:

Edited by big10p - 08 Dec 2018 at 11:25am
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 11:52am
Looks a nice project and a bargain, hard to see in pics what it looks like?

Ronnie
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Ronnie Dent Ronnie Dent wrote:

Looks a nice project and a bargain, hard to see in pics what it looks like?

Ronnie

These were the eBay pics I bought it from...

Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 12:30pm
Ah I remember them, looks funky, you will be able to do wonders with that, emulation has come on loads, I guess it will be a standard resolution plasma in it?
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:00pm
I think it's a 720p screen - I have my eye on a full-HD plasma display monitor on eBay that would fit a treat and it's only 60 miles away...

Pity there's no backbox for a DMD and backglass screen, but it means I don't need quite as powerful videocard/pc to run it.

Looking in the bits box I have (I do like running the PC recycling task at work) :-
I7-3770 cpu + heatsink 
8Gb ddr3
Windows 7 Pro COA
and I have bought
2 * 128Gb SSD's 
GeForce GT 1030.
Gigabyte mATX motherboard last night off eBay

Motherboard has 2*PCI slots so I can put the cctalk card in one of them and and old sound card with midi port in the other.

I'm going to swap the old PC into a spare mATX PC case I have lying around so I can still attempt to get it going and hopefully about Wednesday I should have the parts to build the replacement PC in the old case.

I fancy replacing the four cold-cathode tubes with sound activated RGB led strips.

I think I've also found a source for the broken coin entry/returns.

Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 1:35pm
I guess you could attach a smaller screen at the back for DMD and back glass and maybe hinge it so it could fold down behind when not needed?
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Ronnie Dent Ronnie Dent wrote:

I guess you could attach a smaller screen at the back for DMD and back glass and maybe hinge it so it could fold down behind when not needed?

I may do that at a later date (I have a couple of screens lying around that would do).

First I need to get it going with just one.

5050 LCD sound activated LED controller and 4M of 60 led/m RGB 5050 strip purchased to replace the four cold-cathode tubes (two were broken anyway) that should turn up Wednesday too. 

I've ordered a new coin entry & reject from the link above - hopefully they'll fit OK, if not I'm using frog-tape and epoxy resin to rebuild the smashed one and it looks like it'll work but won't look pretty.

its 55mm diameter, 35mm deep, and the pin sticks out about 20mm beyond the back, the coin slot is 10mm wide and 35mm tall.

and it's blue acrylic. 

Edited by penrhos - 09 Dec 2018 at 10:21pm
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:23am
Made a little progress - I've managed to access the hard drive.

It contains three partitions all ntfs and runs windows XP embedded.

I can access all the files on the last two partitions but the os one is corrupt. I'm going to backup what I can access them run some data recovery utilities on what was the c drive.

Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 10:58am
It originally came with a ghost image on CD (or similar) - may be worth asking on the pinball group to see if someone can upload an ISO of it somewhere ...

penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 12:36pm
Managed to "Clone" the drive to one that doesn't click like buggery...

Ran beyond compare and did a binary compare between all the files on the "clone" and original drive and they were identical.

Booted the PC from the drive and the software launches but crashes with a visual c run-time error so it looks like something was corrupt on the original drive (it did have at least 12 blocks of unreadable data).

I've also traced the cables from the control panel to the plugs in the base.

The four wires going to the game port go to a small PCB on a rubber mount - I'm 99% sure its an acceleratometer being used as the nudge/tilt detector. All the buttons go to the CCTalk PCB (service, test, start, plunger, 4 * flipper buttons). Worst case scenario I could rewire the lot to an A-Pac.

The Parts to build the PC have turned up so I have assembled it and installed Windows-7 64 bit.

I need to service pack it, load the drivers for the GT1030 and DX-11 etc. Once fully up to date  I'll clone the drive and copy the old software onto it and see if I can get it going.

I've also bodged the coin insert by using frog-tape and epoxy to fill in the holes so I now have a complete (but ugly) coin slot, the reject slot I glued the broken bit back in place.

Edited by penrhos - 13 Dec 2018 at 9:31pm
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
parcel arrived from Austria....

Perfect fit - I can chuck the damaged ones in the bin...

Also arrived some LED T10 bulbs - they light up the coin entry, there's another below the trackball to light that up and the start & plunger buttons have them fitted too.

Edited by penrhos - 16 Dec 2018 at 2:41pm
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 12:38am
Looks like you're getting somewhere Thumbs Up

WTD: Rolling Thunder PCB
Parts WTD: Any Dino King / LnB / MushiKing Spare Parts!
penrhos View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penrhos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2018 at 2:21pm
Short update...

Dents in rear door straightened and damage around lock fixed (filed burrs level and covered with a large lock-surround).

Connected up a Dell 24" widescreen monitor so I can start the next phase - getting a PC installed and getting the controls & lights working.

I'll leave the original screen until last as the base is heavy enough to lug around without the 42" Plasma bolted to the top.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic