Skin:

Taito Rastan Digital Noise on Output

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taito Rastan Digital Noise on Output
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 3:57pm
Hi Folks
Have an issue with digital noise on the output of my JAMMA rig. Other PCBS are silent but Rastan is noisy on a digital level. When screens change the pitch and chirping changes. I have replaced a load of electrolytics with no difference and ordered some Tantalums. -5V is present but wondered what you guys would do to fix this.

Cheers
Arcade hardware obsessed since the 70s!
Monstermug View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
Could be a faulty DAC? 
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:32pm
OK cheers. Will look at whats going on with the DAC.
caius View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:18pm
It's likey due a bad (or both) TL074 OP-AMP, replaced load of them on this board.
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:08pm
Cheers. Will order some and keep you updated.
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by caius caius wrote:

It's likey due a bad (or both) TL074 OP-AMP, replaced load of them on this board.

This, common failure point on these.

Atari PCB's (and most non-Atari), AR2's, Vector Deflection/HV boards repaired & refurbished.
Wanted: Non-working Atari PCBs.
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 12:19pm
That unfortunately did not work. Have replaced both chips. When I removed the suspected faulty Op-Amps I then checked to see this wasn't the output amp with issue. Completely silent, but hummed appropriately when I put my finger on the input.

Could this be the DAC?
jonhughes View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhughes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 12:57pm
I recently repaired a Rastan sound fault. Turned out to be the Oki chip. I found the board not so easy to trouble shoot (chips relying on other chips within the circuit) as I suspect you are finding replacing many parts. You do have connector H on? I can't remember what that does once it's disconnected (mono/stereo convertor connector I think).
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 1:28pm
Connector H is on. Digging further... Thanks for all the responses.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2020 at 6:25pm
Check if output signals on YM2151 @ IC63 is okay.  Then check YM3012 DAC @ IC78.  It's got to be either of those two.  
paulcan69 View Drop Down
User
User
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
Might well be the classic pc060ha chip going bad
Repo is coming
Search pc060ha on here
Caius who answered one of your questions on here was part of this wonderful process
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
caius View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
The Taito 'PC060HA' replacement is already done and successfully tested but the few units went very quickly hence I have to restock it.Expect a new batch in a month or so.
Anyway, I don't think your sound issue can be due to it, the 'PC060HA' accomplishes digital functions except for a pin that mutes the amplifier.Perhaps if you could provide a video of the issue we can help you better.
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 3:33pm
Rastan Sound section schematics here

Edit:  Yes I agree with Caius.  Unlikely to be the custom. 

Edited by Monstermug - 21 Feb 2020 at 3:38pm
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 1:52pm
I removed the YM2151 and there was still some humming and noise although far less. Took out the YM3012 and noise completely stopped. Awaiting new chips. If I still have the issue I will post a video.

Thanks for helping guys. 
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:47pm
Hi Folks

I have made a video and hope you can open it. Please tell me if you cant as its my first video.

Both chips have been replaced and no difference. I am wondering if its my setup being sensitive. Probably different in a cab.

Edited by adsa1971 - 24 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monstermug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:44pm
I don't hear anything that's pcb fault related.  You are getting interference elsewhere. 
adsa1971 View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adsa1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 10:30pm
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic