ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Plan B
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Forum LockedTaito TC0070RGB Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 11:02pm
Well done!!!!
Maybe a few more boards will be resurrected.

Steve
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Macro Macro wrote:

well, I know it's not much to look at, but

a) the real hybrid gives me the same screen display (I need to fix the board)
b) it works!

EXELLENT MATE!.please let me know when you have some ready to sellBig smile
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 1:58pm
Nice work!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:57pm
I soldered the one I built to another taito board I got in a job lot, hoping that the missing hybrid was the only fault with it ... well, it wasn't - so I get a screen display again, but it's just jumbled characters because the CPU is not running.

I can put together 2 kits with the remaining prototype PCB's I have here, along with 20V10 or 22V10 GALs programmed up for it, but I cannot guarantee it works completely! - I know it does something, and indeed (on the RI) gives me what looks like exactly the same screen display, but it could do shades different or whatever ... until one gets put on a working board I don't know

so does anyone fancy being a beta tester on these ? - it may take me a while to fix one of these boards to allow me to do proper testing, and I really need to order the version 3 PCBs that should work with 20V8 GALs

I was planning to sell the kits for about £14 + postage normally (exact price to be confirmed based on what the PCBs cost), but if anyone wants to take a risk with these ones then I'll do them for £10 a set posted to the UK

should they work (and I am about 80% sure they do!) then you get a cheaper deal but it is at your risk - I'm not doing refunds if they don't

bonehead View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bonehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 10:07pm
Well I have a faulty bubble bobble pcb which I have been told has all 3 rgb sip packs could be faulty.
I have no soldering skils or knowledge of fixing boards so if you wanted to try them in this and I pay for parts and some time I am happy for you try Macro.

If I bought them myself to fit I would not want to risk my workmanship.

paulcan69 View Drop Down
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 12:22am
Macro I have a r.i board which Phil has already put a socket in for the rgb chip
R.i works 100% so I can test it for you in 15 seconds flat
Also me not being colour blind is a plus and r.i being the most colourful game in the world so it will show up if any shades are incorrect
Up to you fella, you have my address too! Lol

Edited by paulcan69 - 29 Jan 2014 at 12:24am
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
Dan_k View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Moderator kiss of death merchant!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:05pm
Good work, I think this should also fit Chase HQ boards which would be handy.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:14pm
yep, got one of those too - maybe I ought to plug it in and see what it does ... !
Dan_k View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Moderator kiss of death merchant!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan_k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 10:29pm
Cool, I could do with one of these sets. I have had a few problems with these RGB IC's so this could be the ideal solution.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2014 at 11:18pm
well, rainbow islands is almost better, sorted out the background graphics so they now display and it gets past the object ram error message.

sprites are still shot, but will look at that next (fixed!)

but here is the screen display with the Macro RGB Hybrid thingy

Edited by Macro - 02 Feb 2014 at 12:17am
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 12:44pm
whoop,whoopBig smile
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 4:35pm
Awesome thread - when do you think these might be buyable things?  I remember one of the first repairs I ever did was having to weld to leg stumps to re-fit a broken one on Volfied.
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 5:10pm
I need to order a third set of PCB's since I made some more changes, but then they should be around as people want them
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2014 at 8:48pm
final testing done, so need to order the next set which will hopefully be the end of this.

taking pics of screen displays is damn weird - colours on the photo are nothing like the colours on the screen, but twenty pics or so later ...

p.s. the 4th row of colours is visible to the eye, but I couldn't get the camera to see them!
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 9:16pm
Final boards now ordered

these work the same as the previous one, but swop a few pins around so it is compatible with GALs 20V8, 20V10 and 22V10

once I have verified that they work then I'll order a bigger batch for people who would like them. (should be available as PCB only or full kit - files to program your own GAL's will be on my website)

Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 9:38pm
Dude absolutely marvellous work!!!!
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:34pm
I purchased one of macro's mk1 kits,made it up,fitted it to my op thunderbolt pcb and:

====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
stevebm1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevebm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 12:37pm
it worksBig smileBig smileBig smile,my soldering skills are limited,but with a bit of protection from the foam packaging the gals came in it sits in place just fine,I used a cut down sdip socket,to make it removable from the pcb,should the need ever arise

Edited by stevebm1 - 08 Feb 2014 at 12:38pm
====WANTED====
Vector pinball plastics
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:17pm
I managed to sort out and test the version 3 of the RGB boards, this should be the final version.

It now uses 20V8, 20V10 or 22V10 GAL's so gives more flexibility for parts

Colour Test

Screen Shot

Fitted Board

So now need to order some PCB's - can people who would like PCBs or kits please let me know by PM.

depends on how many wanted / what I have to pay for PCB's to be made, but I'm reckoning it would be about £5 for a PCB and £15 for a kit of all parts

ben76 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Hunts Spies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ben76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2014 at 10:42pm
That is amazing work mate well done :)

- Ben
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic