FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Tehkan World Cup Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tehkan World Cup Conversion
    Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 3:41pm
I rescued an Atari Dunk Shot empty cabinet from an eBay seller that lived fairly close to me back in January.  I probably wouldn't have gone for the cabinet if it wasn't local, but it only cost £10 to get it delivered to my house so seemed like a good idea.  I was surprised when it arrived because it had all 4 Atari trackballs, buttons, and various other bits and bobs with it.  The seller told me that he had a few of these and clearly they had been converted to Mame as they came with joysticks.

The idea was that I'd never find a Tehkan World Cup cabinet to add to my collection so this could be the next best thing.  The cabinet is pretty much the same size as the Tehkan world cup

So I've been piecing together all the bits I'd need to get this setup:

Original PCB
Monitor - this cabinet seems to use an MTC9000 in a standard metal frame
Isolation Transformer
Jamma PSU
Artwork
Pinouts - the ones online are wrong

I didn't want to destroy the original Dunk Shot control panels so I removed them, with the cardboard monitor surrounds, and stored them

Next step was to get some new control panels fabricated.  I asked on here but didn't really get very far, so I found a local company 5 minutes from my house that said they could do the work.....

Edited by Purity - 23 Apr 2018 at 5:02pm
frothmeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 6:10pm
Nice work so far Ben........looking forward to seeing this. Have you managed to get all of the TWC artwork repro'd?Thumbs Up
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by frothmeister frothmeister wrote:

Nice work so far Ben........looking forward to seeing this. Have you managed to get all of the TWC artwork repro'd?Thumbs Up

I've got a good chunk of it thanks to some helpful members here
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm
So because I'm having new panels fabricated, and I don't have a Tehkan WC to measure against, I'm going to have to work out where I am going to have the holes cut in the panel.

I made a mock up control panel out of paper so I could get the measurements about right.

I'm sure it is not going to be 100% accurate but as long as it's not miles off I don't mind so much

The important bit is that I get the holes cut in the right place so I can screw the panels back to the cabinet....so I hope I don't mess it up :-)

Edited by Purity - 29 Sep 2017 at 7:15pm
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
Was there any other table like this called world cup? I ask because I know someone who has one

Ronnie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:31pm
@ Ronnie. Don't think so, and if you know of one up for sale I'd be potentially interested.

@ Ben. You could maybe take some measurements from the one at Arcade Club? Presume you are going to have to get the artwork resized to fit this cab then?
Ronnie Dent View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Dent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm
Well I'm not sure it's for sale but he asked me earlier in the year to have a look at it as the green was missing, he has had it for years but I will ask him
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:10pm
It might be a bootleg?

Yes I'm making some adjustments for my own panels
prof peach View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prof peach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 8:34pm
Not exactly a resto though, is it. More of a recreation, but a clever solution nonetheless.
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 9:05pm
Fair point. Updated to "conversion"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frothmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:31pm
Awesome! 

Looking forward to playing the one at Arcade Club again at the UKVAC meet. I wonder if player 2's trackball has been sorted out yet. Was totally unplayable as a 2 player game the last 2 occasions I've tried it.Ouch
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2017 at 10:56pm
Get yourself along to arcade club. I'm sure Andy would let you take measurements etc from the one there.
DMD Board Repairer
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:48pm
Panels have been made, and glad to see that they seem to fit :-)

They are slightly bigger than the originals so I've had to take that into consideration with marking the holes.  I'm hoping I have measured these correctly when they are drilled and cut out.  I guess the artwork should hide any errors.  I'll find out soon enough

Edited by Purity - 01 Oct 2017 at 12:48pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Big Phil Big Phil wrote:

Get yourself along to arcade club. I'm sure Andy would let you take measurements etc from the one there.

Yea I intend on looking at Andy's at some point

The problem is I need to adjust things to fit the Dunk Shot cab rather than the Tehkan World Cup so I don't know how useful measurements would actually be, as they are not 100% identical
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:41pm
Whilst you guys have been at Play Expo/Arcade Club, I've been busy sanding down the cab.

The previous paint job wasn't great so I plan to redo the external work.  Not too bothered about any internal painting as it is hidden by control panels/monitor overlays etc

A complication is that Dunk Shot has plastic side panels attached to it, so those need to be filled in.  Some filling with wood and filler will do the trick here.  There is also a grill where the sideart is meant to go so I need to route a piece of wood to cover that aswell.  I need to do more on this tomorrow. 

I also had the opportunity to test if my panels fit.  One panel is spot on and all the holes fit exactly.  The second panel is slightly off but it should still be acceptable.

I also need to cut a missing side door on the cab so will do that tomorrow aswell.

Hopefully I should be in a position shortly where the cab is in good shape and ready for artwork and internals :-)

I think it is definately starting to look like a Tehkan World Cup cabinet now

Edited by Purity - 23 Apr 2018 at 5:03pm
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:33am
Control panels are now done, and hole sizes have been altered to accomodate a 3" trackball:

Work is still on-going with the cab, but I should have some pictures of the finished cabinet minus the artwork to show soon :-)
Alpha1 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Do the Shake and 'VAC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 12:04pm
I have to say marvellous effort so far
Wanted: Time Traveller, GALAXIAN 3 THEATER, 80's Namco & Taito games

muddymusic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The Repro Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muddymusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 4:12pm
Yeah, you've done excellent work so far, not an easy project at all but coming along superbly.
Repro Arcade Artwork supplier, pm me or visit arcadeartshop.com
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:52am
indeed, gonna be awesome when done, nice work ben. 
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
paulcan69 View Drop Down
Can reburn OTP EPROMs! Fear my power!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulcan69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:09am
Do you have a pcb Ben?
Arcade Otaku name: paulcan69

ebay name: paulcan2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic