ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Test/tech kit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test/tech kit
    Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 11:52am

Hi guys, just interested, what have you got to help with test and repair?   Below is my list of kit, there's no one piece of kit that fixes all, I find I have to use the right tool for the right job :)

Fluke 9010 with z80, 6502, and 6809 pods

HP 10529 logic comparitor

HP5004 Signature Analysis box

Atari CAT box

Atari PAT 9000 (not currently working)

ABI 4000 boardmaster

Jamma test rig (home built) with 5" screen

Data IO 29B with UniPak

Maplin Logic probe

Maplin Login Injector (think that's what it's called)

Xytronic 968 Desolder station

Xytronic LF 1000 Solder Station 

Skynet Phased Plasma Rifle (in the 40 watt range)

I'd really like to add to my kit with a decent Oscilloscope, Video Probe, and one day a Fluke 9100 (and a year to learn how to use it).   I've also got plans to build an AR2 test rig (with displays for each voltage), and to use a CGA/VGA converter to allow me to use a flat panel screen as a test monitor.   Too many projects, too little time...

Dan

Edited by DanP - 27 Jul 2010 at 7:15pm
trm View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 6:35pm
If we're doing test gear pron then here is my contribution. Sadly I don't get anywhere near enough time to use much of this at the moment, but what isn't duplicated in my Dad's collection normally gets pilfered by him from time to time

Fluke 9010A + spares, logic probe, couple of CPU socket adaptors (I need to identify some of these), and pods for Z80, Z80AA, 6800, 6502 (I think), 6809 (On permanent availability to Macro as part of the very generous sale he made to me), 68000 & 8080.

Intronix 34 channel USB logic analyser. Very useful for many things, especially determining if the X to X decoders are duff or just not getting the right combination of inputs. Has excellent Windows software, vast range of sampling rates and a clocked mode.

Rohde & Schwarz LAC64 64 channel old-school logic analyser. I believe this one has done the rounds and is still my mainstay whenever I need to monitor something that the Intronix can't handle. It's as big as a suitcase but still gets use.

Black*Star frequency counter. Not having a fancy Fluke scope I use this for checking clock frequencies and bus timing signals.

Maplins logic probe. Nothing special :)

Four ABI Boardmaster 4000s. I'm not trying to corner the market here, but the one I bought years ago has always had self-test faults and a recent score on ebay delivered me 3 in unknown states. One is a perfect worker which is going to my Dad and the other three are being used in combination with the worker to identify their faults to hopefully produce 3 or 4 fully working machines out of the lot. I'll be passing the spares on when they work.

Hameg HM203-5 scope. 20MHz but includes XY mode and has Z input. Pretty standard scope but incredibly useful.

0-30V constant current/constant voltage bench PSU. Stable and smooth power output for those times when a standard JAMMA psu won't cut it.

Data IO 29b. With Unipak, Logicpak, PalASM module. This is used for burning the old PROMs and the Logicpak and PalASM module are waiting for further investigation. Also got a box of plug-ins for this which also need investigating.

Home made test rig. Not quite as adventurous as P-Mans, but it includes a full 1P setup, all the switches, video probe inputs, selective RGBS channel enable/disable, +5 and GND terminals. Feeds a modified Commodore 1084S which has been hacked to support amplified audio and also a front adjustable sync window. Yay for Konami games ;)

Xytronix LF-6000 desolder & hot air station. Once I figured out how to use it, a very nice desolder station. Also includes a hot air pencil for SMD touchup.

Maplin ZD-916 temp controlled solder station. Nicest soldering iron I've used and is actually a relabel. The parts are by Duratool and Farnell do spares for everything, down to heater elements, tips and spare handles so no worries about having to shell out £50 for a whole new iron when you just need a new thermocouple.

HP Logic Comparator. Doesn't get used as much as it should now I have the other tools but a very handy way of checking a lot of 74 series logic.

I've got work (slowly) underway to build a vector test rig. I've got an Atari power brick which needs refurbishing and some AR2-05s so it's a matter of putting them in some form of safe housing to stop fried cats! I also have a couple of small LCD screens which might eventually make it into a portable test rig (or an FPGA based vector to bitmap display rig!)

I think that's all :)
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 6:44pm
Metcal SP200 soldering station - Great soldering iron I never use anything else it uses some fancy smart heat technology so you just turn it on and you're ready to go. I use a small point high temp tip which works great for all small and large soldering jobs.

Weller DS900 desoldering station - Nothing but trouble with this one, clogs up in no time. Tips don't seem to last long and they are very expensive. The iron is just badly designed in my opinion.

Hakko 700c soldering/desoldering station - Only used for the desoldering side as no soldering station can compare to the metcal. As a desoldering station this is a great bit of kit, so much better than the Weller. Cheaper parts, more reliable and will run much longer without clogging up / needing to be cleaned. I'd recommend a newer model now though as this one is no longer supported and hard to get parts for.

Galep-4 EPROM Programmer -
Pros : Supports a LOT of chips, good quality, runs off AAA batteries or a PSU.
Cons : Uses a Parallel cable, only supports up to 40pin chips, expensive, no Win7 support (yet).

TOP2048 EPROM Programmer -
Pros: Cheap, USB, supports a lot of chips, CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.
Cons: Crappy software, had problems programming some EPROMS (power related) no Win7 support.

Willem True-USB Programmer -
Pros: Cheap, supports lots of chips, cheap adaptors available, USB, good up to date software.
Cons: PCB, no case.

LER-121A UV EPROM Eraser -
Pros: Erases all EPROMS in 30-40mins.
Cons: Noisy egg timer type dial.

Home made Supergun/test rig -
My first Arcade related project and I still use it today, still don't know how I managed to fit everything including the psu in a black ABS box from Maplin.

Hantarex MTC9000 10" Monitor -
As found in Mega-Tech and PC10 machines, great little test monitor.

Weller Pyropen -
Rework station without the station, great for small smt work.

Cap Meter -
Checks caps out of circuit so you know if they are within range. Does the job but an ESR tester would be better.

Logic Probe -
Hmm it's yellow.

Braid -
Can't work without some 2.5mm braid next to me, say what you want about solder suckers braid is better.

Got a couple of scopes but I don't know the makes and models off the top of my head.

Looks like I'm getting onto the boring stuff that everyone has now.

Edited by Ace` - 05 Aug 2010 at 7:12pm
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 12:39am
I guess I should fill this in one day when my memories not so addled.
andyman View Drop Down
always pull away from your face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 9:23am
Small collection but all used in the pursuit

Hameg HM604 Oscilloscope - 2 channel 20mhz, removed from a former employer in lieu of monies owed

TTi LA160 Logic analyser - old kit with no internal screen, connects to above scope, does the job for the few repairs I do

HP 5004 Signature analyser - bought from P-man, only used once so far as now I cant get to it or see it, pretty handy if you have a working board to compare

Home built 6 digit frequency counter - only used couple of time for clock frequencies, but is a bit flaky. My skills weren't up to much back in 84

Realistic Logic probe - More old kit but still going strong after 20+ years, had to shorten cable slightly

Realistic Logic pulser - Bought as a set with above in about 1989 ish, dont use much though

Stag Stratos PC eprom programmer - Bargain stuff, does all the eproms I require, cost me £5

Chinese eprom eraser - More bargain stuff, cost £10 does 8 at a time, comes with spare bulb

Maplin Multimeter - No expense spared, again does what I need

Maplin ZD 916 temp controlled soldering station - Awesome cheap station, one of the best irons I've used and would def. recommend on a budget.

RS capacitance meter
- As Ace commented, good but esr would be better, has helped a few times though

Weller 100w Soldering gun - for big ground planes and degauss functions

Tack lifter with  soldered wire and croc clip - for discharging when finger is busy

Williams test rig - Well, ally backplate from Defender with switcher test/serv switches and harness already in place, now plug n play

Jamma supergun
- Vogatek Mk1, PC psu, MD controller and lcd monitor, easy stuff but no independent control of syncs, colours etc.

Various other aids & tools and a massive collection of components, hardware, mountings from 70's-80's (read : hoarder)

Andy.

VectorGlow View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VectorGlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 9:55am
Hameg 203-7 'scope

White Gold multimeter

Three test monitors

Two sets of test speakers

Logic Pulser

Logic Probe

Fluke 9010A

JAMMA PSU (with inserted fuse block that uses car 'space' fuses) and loads of adaptors plus a spare PC PSU

Special PSU (made by Mark Haysman) to output 18VAC, +/-22VDC and +/-15VDC

Antex soldering station

Xytronic LF-6000 desoldering station

Eprom Eraser

Three EPROM programmers: Galep-4, Data I/O 29B, Wellon VP-280

Assorted tools and loads of chips.

And no doubt other things that I've forgotten to list. :)

tb2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 1:56pm
I haven't got much in the way of test equipment, but here it is anyway:

Dataman 48LV eprom programmer.

Eprom Eraser (can't remember the make currently)

Caltek Instrument digital multimeter

Ex-tv repairer Degaussing wand

Acorn Archimedes RGB monitor for testing (currently stored, I actually use my jamma cab!)

Ersa 15W soldering iron

Logic probe (with siren?)

Aoyue 852 smd rework station (need some practice with this!)

Picked up some more stuff since first posting as I want to get into repairing my own pcbs hopefully:

Aoyue 474+ desoldering station

Wellon VP280 eprom programmer

Hewlett Packard 10529A logic comparator

BST BS1702 multimeter (the Caltek Instrument one listed above has since expired)

10" Hantarex MTC900 U.S.A. monitor (needs fixing)

Hopefully will have a scope and an ESR capacitance meter soon also. Will try to pick up a Fluke 9010 at some point in the distant future.Smile

Edited by tb2000 - 20 Jun 2011 at 3:18pm
JohnBud View Drop Down
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 2:07pm
i dont do repairs as such. i do however have a couple of bits i use daily.

multimeter x 3
dc clampmeter  current clamp
variable heat solder iron with additional tips for working on flush mount pcbs
solder sucker
magnifying glass with securing clamps
lots of tape
degauss wand
and an eprom programmer although its out on loan just now. i dont know how to use it any way LOL
i might get into the pcb repair side of things at some point, i did start an hnd in telecommunications a few years back and still have my notes covering gates etc i also did a course in the eighties on computer repair. it was on bbc computers. sadly though it seems the older i get the less i can be bothered using the grey matter.  cheers.

john bud
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 1:54pm
Ok, I succumb...

Fluke 9100FT Kit
Base unit (is faster FT version)
v6.1 system software
Maximum ram (4MB?)
HDD replaced with a SCSI->PCMCI->Compact Flash
HD Floppy
Video card (for programmers station)
Self Made keyboard interface (http://www.guddler.co.uk/f9100/9100key.html)
Clock module
I/O Module x3 (poss x1)
Vector Module x1 (poss x3) - i forget which way round!
Various clip module pod and connectors
Card Edge connector module
RAM/ROM expansion module

HP Logic Comparator

Hitachi 20Mhz Scope (nice & compact ish)

HP Storage Display (for XY game work)

HP 5006A Sig. Analyser
Tends to sit on the bookcase in the spare room these days as I wrote a sig. analyser program for the 9100 that produces Cat Box compatible signatures.

Z80 NOP Adapter

6502 NOP Adapter

Write up is very out of date.

Mostly for working on XY stuff but also useful for any Atari work that needs the extra voltages

Dataman 48Pro+
Eprom programmer
Optional 2708 adapter

Microchip PIC In-Circuit Debugger
Plus a couple of debug adapters

Displays
For displays, I use a 14" Polo with the 9100 as the 10" was too small and I tend to swap about between a 10" MTC-9000 and a small 12" LCD with CGA->VGA upscaler from good old eBay China seller (yank you very yuch). As previously mentioned I've got the HP storage display for XY work. I tried to use one of the couple of 14" vector monitors in the loft but they're really not reliable enough when used in conjunction with PCBs that are outputting unkown for sh*te pictures.

Acer Revo 3600
Upgraded to 4GB memory
This makes a wonderful little workbench PC as it's so small. All my reference material is on it plus it drives the programmer through USB.

Since people are going down to that level, I've got a couple of multimeters.

I think that's probably it for now.

P-Man View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
International man of mystery

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 2:56pm
I have a small workshop which has 16 Elves chained to PCB repair desks working in 12 hour shifts to the beat of a drum. They tried to unionise to improve conditions, but i ate the ringleader so they don't give me any trouble now.

Andrew Welburn www.andys-arcade.com
andyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 3:10pm
Ah, that's where Timmy went then ;)

"The person you were referring to is a short, shotgun wielding nutter with a vindictive streak 3 miles long. And a Star Wars cockpit "
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by P-Man P-Man wrote:

I have a small workshop which has 16 Elves chained to PCB repair desks working in 12 hour shifts to the beat of a drum.

strangley enough, I always thought you was an elf

now I have proof! LOL
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2010 at 11:05pm
Ok here is the kit I have in my arsenal at the moment;

Hameg HM303-6 35Mhz Oscilloscope - Just aquired this and learning to use it.  Has a component tester on board but not sure how reliable that is.

Uni-T UT60E Auto-ranging Multi-Meter

Antex 12w Soldering iron - Love this soldering iron, not too cold, not too hot....just right!

Desoldering Pump & Lots of Braid

Antex Gascat 120P Gas Powered Hot Air Pencil (For SMD work)

SEEPROG 8-Bit Serial EEPROM Programmer

LABTOOL-48UXP Programmer - Nice EPROM Programmer

9s12x Parallel Programmer - Handy for programming these protected buggers in-circuit.

Could really use a decent de-soldering station next.

Edited by Equites - 19 Nov 2010 at 11:08pm
Bensonrad View Drop Down
STILL looking for an Outrun & Paperboy!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bensonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 2:35pm
Slowly I've been collecting things up for "that day" I actually attempt to repair something...
  • A.R.T. Dutch Design (Eprom Programmer) - No leads or S/ware
  • HI LO Systems  All-07 Universal Programmer & Tester  - No Leads, No Software
  • Tektronix 475 Oscilloscope has manual
  • Maplin Professional Solder Station with LCD Display (Precision Gold) Boxed
  • Digital Multimeter – Silver line (2005)
  • Solder Sucker (cheap sliverline spring loaded job)
  • Logic Probe
  • Commodore Amiga Monitor 1084(can’t remember the letter after it)
  • Various to Jamma adapters
  • A few spare chips from various things
  • Half built test rig (untested)
  • One of those Vogatek superguns

And a pile of pcbs that need fixing!

Wanted: Super Pacman Bezel, Millipede Euro inner Bezel. Asteroids Cabaret Cab, Exterminator & Arkanoid set ups. Always after Millipede/Paperboy/Super Pacman/Outrun/Taito S.I PCBs
system11 View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 12:01pm
Fluke 9010a with no pods yet!
Modified Raven Games supergun which was a cheap way to get a test rig, plugged into an old Commodore monitor.
Xytronic LF-9000 solder/desolder station
Xytronic hot air pen for above
Xytronic SMD rework tweezers for above
Xytronic 426DLX fume extractor
No-name brand portable soldering iron
HP multimeter, forget the model - one of those ones with the indestructable rubber case.
Generic logic probe
Generic logic probe/pulser with sound
Fluke PM3084 4 channel oscilloscope
Xeltek Superpro 3000U programmer
RS EPROM eraser
HP Comparator kit
ESD meter

And I found a useful home office style desk which turned out to be just right for a compact test bench setup.

http://www.system11.org/temp/forumposts/shadow_fixed.jpg
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:10pm
a can of wd40.
andyman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 5:18pm
WD40 is not a tool Wink

Andy.
"The person you were referring to is a short, shotgun wielding nutter with a vindictive streak 3 miles long. And a Star Wars cockpit "
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 6:49pm
Apart from the probe and comparator I've bought most of this tatt in the past year:

Digital HP 54502A 400 MHz scope
Analogue Phillips PM3262 150(ish) MHz scope
HP 10529 logic comparitor
logic probe
ABI DIT 24 (pre/early boardmaster)
Stag P301 Eprom programmer
Stag Orbit32 Eprom programmer
Cheapo Duratool Desoldering Station
Eprom Eraser
A couple of 30v 15(?) amp variable power supplies

Worlds nastiest JAMMA test rig -built inside an old PC PSU case complete with (safety conscious or not) mains voltages  + sony Trinitron portable TV.

+ all the other minor sh*te.

The most useful things have been the digital scope as I'm too lazy to calculate clock frequencies and it gives perhaps a little more insight on ICs than a logic probe, and surprisingly the desoldering station (I'll never willingly use a solder sucker again). The eprom programmers have salvaged a couple of flaky boards in the relatively short time I've owned them but don't do bipolar proms and only 32 pins supported.. The boardmaster has been handy for testing some stuff in circuit but I've mainly used it for testing donor IC's before putting them into a board.

Edited by karlcdoe - 02 Aug 2011 at 6:56pm
Macro View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 10:07pm
lots of stuff, some I even know how to use

Fluke, (with pods, although I need to get a 6809 one since I keep getting things with them in!)
ABI 4000
Superpro 280u eprom programmer
Superpro 3L eprom programmer (which does bproms - one above don't)
Data IO 29 with logicpak (which does 3 rail chips which the above don't)
Willem Eprom programmer (which I don't use, but I wrote the windows software)
Duratool desolder thing
Aoyue hot air rework thing
remov-ic desolderer, does up to 18 pin chips by pressing the trigger! (just wish it did 20 pin)
Amiga Monitor (did once replace it with an LCD, but it syncs to virtually anything!)
home made test rig with Jamma patch panel (make looms telephone switchboard style)
metcal 200 soldering iron
several other soldering irons - couple of antecs, gas one (handy in the back of a cab)
2 x HP comparator (which seldom gets used due to ABI)
logic probe (most important bit of kit in the list!)
multimeter that does frequency as well
techtronix scope (which I seldom use)

and a really old multimeter that doesn't work on the ohms scale 'cos I burnt the resistor out when I was about 10 (but everything else works, and it's made from bakelite .. hmm, I could probably work out what value the resistor should be now and actually fix it Wink)

most stuff gets fixed by a mixture of the fluke and the logic probe (the ABI is great if you don't have schematics though)

edwoodjnr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edwoodjnr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 8:44pm
I was wondering what the recommended kit for someone wanting to begin PCB diagnostic and repairs would be?    PCB's such as Star Wars and Tempest.

Any suggestions beyond the basic soldering iron and multimeter?    I would imagine some of the kit mentioned above would be hard to find these days, are there any modern equivalents?    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic