Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

The Last Starfighter Cabinet Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
Thanks Matt, I'll take you up on that (I assumed you only had one of each colour) as they are much closer to what I wanted than the ones I got off Ebay. I'll shoot you a PM with postage details etc.

The coin door arrived today and I wasted no time in cutting the hole out and fitting it.
It'll get a fresh coat of paint, the door originally came from the US so it still takes quarters.
I still have a few quarters left over from when I had an imported Dragon's Lair so i'll leave it original.

One of the most difficult pieces to cut/fabricate was the beveled panels that sit vertically either side of the coin door, it tapers down from 18mm to 7mm (8 degree angle). I farmed that job out to a joinery shop as I don't have the right tools to do it neatly.

The cab will get a full strip down over the next few days, I need to mark out and drill/cut the holes for the control panel lights and put a 20 degree chamfer on the control panel dividers.

Like this (not my cab).

All of the end grains on the pieces of MDF will be sealed with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water. 
I also need to cut the recess out at the bottom of the base section and then it'll be ready to prime, reassemble/glue where necessary, fill all gaps and paint.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 19 Jul 2018 at 8:14am
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Why have I only latched onto this thread now? Amazing!
DMD Board Repairer
stevemontuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stevemontuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:04am
Excellent job on your Starfighter build ,,,looks mint. 

I was actually just looking on thingiverse at some arcade stuff and stumbled across someones Starfighter build & instantly thought of yours.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988335
https://imgur.com/gallery/qgDxG
funhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote funhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:23am
Wow - looks fantastic - keep going!

(I haven't seen The Last Starfighter in years - I will get a copy.)
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:21am
Originally posted by stevemontuno stevemontuno wrote:

Excellent job on your Starfighter build ,,,looks mint. 

I was actually just looking on thingiverse at some arcade stuff and stumbled across someones Starfighter build & instantly thought of yours.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988335
https://imgur.com/gallery/qgDxG

Thanks for adding the links, I saw that build while doing research on the cab and liked the coin door insert idea so I drew a few up of my own.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 20 Jul 2018 at 1:58pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 12:08pm
Control panel lights done, a bit of routing to do tomorrow and that it's for the woodworking side of things.
I might even have time to get some paint on the base section tomorrow.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 21 Jul 2018 at 12:11pm
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 1:55pm
The final part of the woodworking has been done, the bevel on the control panel dividers were routed with a 70 degree router bit.

I've spent the last 3 weeks slowly prepping the panels for painting.
The open grains of the MDF have been sealed with PVA glue then sanded and painted a couple of times until they are smooth and even.
The bezel area consists of 4 layers, the top three layers have been painted and sanded smooth prior to screwing and gluing together so that when the cab is assembled it will only need a top coat and makes it easier not having to try to neatly sand the inner corners.

Today I got the first layer of bog applied to the three layers at the bottom of the bezel.

This will be sanded and painted tomorrow before attaching it to the fourth rear piece which will then need the two layers of the inner monitor cutout bogged and prepped as well.

It's painstakingly slow progress but I feel it will produce a better finish at the end.

After that's done the cabinet will be reassembled and the front of the control panel section will get bogged up.

Edited by Kaizen088 - 14 Aug 2018 at 11:33pm
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:18pm
Really top notch work mate. And admirable work with the mdf. I always found it a bit of a pain. Keep it coming.
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 10:28pm
Yeah, nice work. looking forward to seeing this one finished.
Kaizen088 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kaizen088 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 8:51am
Thanks _Matt_, the buttons arrived the other day, very generous of you mate. :)

The cab needed to get up off the ground so I fitted six leg levelers which should keep it nice and stable.

The bottom panel was then screwed and glued to the rest of the base section

The bottom panel was then flush trimmed all round and the front and sides got blocked down with 80 grit then 120 grit paper so they were nice and flush.

A light smear of bog was applied to fill and cover the joins and gaps which was then blocked down starting with 120 grit and finished off with 240.

Lastly it was primed with a few coats of paint and after a few days it'll get blocked down with 320 then 400 grit paper then it'll get a final all over coat of paint.

The coin door also got a scuff back and fresh coat of paint.

ArcadeBase View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArcadeBase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 9:10am
This is amazing!  Clap

Really looking forward to the finished machine. Thumbs Up great job!
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2018 at 11:45am
Stellar
_Matt_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Matt_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 10:28pm
No probs mate happy I could help, and good to know they made it to Australia safely. Keep up the good work.
Jenning View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2018 at 1:34pm
I'm impressed as hell by this, Kaizen088. Great stuff. When do you expect it to be finished?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic