This will put a smile on your face!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Busting vectors like it's 1982!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This will put a smile on your face!
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:37pm
Maybe not so much mine though Wacko

As many will have noticed, I've not been active on here for a very long time. I make no apologies for it, and it's unlikely to change any time soon.

Anyway, when I moved house 10 years ago I had an office / games room built at the end of my garden. 5m x 4m, double-glazed and all the rest of it. The last few years I've done literally nothing with the games. Not even played them. Hell, I hadn't even used the office as an office. It's too damn cold in the winter and too hot and noisy (lawnmowers and children - not together sadly) in the winter.

A couple weeks back, one Friday night after work I went up there and played pinball for probably 2 or 3 hours. Really enjoyed it and felt inspired so I looked into some enhancements. I looked into a 'Pin Sound' and this is where it got interesting...

I took the glass off and went lifted the play field up so I could get to the bass speaker to look at something. CLUNK. WHAT???? The damn play field hit the ceiling.

I cannot believe that when I built my office I didn't build it high enough to open the play field up on the DE Star Wars pinball. I'm screwed. I'm going to have to rip the ceiling down and expose the rafters, that's after checking to see if there is enough distance between the beams for the play field to fit (I'm not convinced).

DOH!!! DOH!!! DOH!!!

PS: Just goes to show how long it is since I've done anything with anything!

Edited by guddler - 08 May 2018 at 1:49pm
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Hehe, that's what you get for switching to Pins from Vidz!  

Would it not be easier (and quicker) now that the weathers nice to just take the pin outside to work on it?   As a 2nd alternative, could you remove the legs and lay the pin base on the floor while you work on it?  

Neither super convenient but easier than ripping out ceilings (and then discovering you have a flat roof!) :)  

Glad you're back Gudd.

Dan
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 1:58pm
Sure it's not the floor that's too high? Tongue
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Glad you're back Gudd.

Thanks.

Yeah, obviously I need to look into slightly less drastic measures first but this is the DE Star Wars that I used to take to all the shows and the legs are really rickety and not going to take much more being messed about (and neither will my patience!).

First port of call is to see if removing the levellers will give me the required clearance. The machine hasn't had a proper clean since I stripped it down around 2001 / 2002 so it's due some decent cleaning. Taking it out of the shed isn't really possible for one man and has a lot of scope for going wrong. Don't know if you remember but the shed is at the top of quite a steep narrow path!
karlcdoe View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karlcdoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by guddler guddler wrote:

(lawnmowers and children - not together sadly)

Absolutely hilarious, reminds me of a scene from 'Maximum Overdrive'

Anyhow, that whole comedy roof thing is familiar only I found I had made my life difficult after fitting large castors to some of my games as they were now that bit taller they strugge to fit back into the 'overflow' storage.
Hurray Banana View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurray Banana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:21pm
Nice oversight Smile.

I rearranged my room, perfect layout then realised I couldn't slide out the pinball glass from the playfield - doh
AnDyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnDyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by DanP DanP wrote:

Glad you're back Gudd.

+1

Originally posted by karlcdoe karlcdoe wrote:

Absolutely hilarious, reminds me of a scene from 'Maximum Overdrive'

I love that film it's terrible.
UKVaC, often copied, never beaten.
guddler View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote guddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:26pm
Well, you're all now going to piss your pants or learn something new just like I did today...

Not to be outdone I removed the levellers from the legs but still no joy, the playfield still wouldn't clear the ceiling. I figured there had to be another way than to pull down the ceiling (a messy job, no matter how satisfying it might be if you're in a bad mood).

Now then. In 17 years of owning not only this pinball, but quite a few pinballs, not once has anyone ever queried how I lift the play field and prop it up against the backbox. Never. Nada. How was I to ever think I was doing anything other than the correct thing??

But see there's this strange big sticker in the bottom of the cab that reads along the lines of "Safety First - Always Attach Strap to Playfield In Upright Position". I've often stood there and mused over just which part was missing from my machine since this strap seems to be a good 6" too damn short to be of any use whatsoever. I've always just shrugged my shoulders and thought "crazy Americans, what do they know, eh??!!"

Well, I'm getting desperate by this point so I start taking a much keener interest in this black rubber strap and the bottom of the play field. Sure enough after a quick search I find where it is meant to attach. Nope, never going to stretch that far. Its a bit like a video game puzzle in tomb raider or something but eventually I work out that if I push the playfield in the opposite direction and tilt it up, right up, well past the cracking and splintering noises that sound decidedly like 25+ year old brittle plastic snapping sure enough the play field goes up in a way I would never have dreamt possible. AND, with a bit of stretching, the strap fits and everything is right with the world (and vertical). I even have room to refit the leg levellers. (Incidentally, the plastics didn't snap, they just sounded like it)

Now, before smugly disappearing off to the pub for food and a few vinos I did disconnect the strap and drop the play field because I daren't trust a 25+ year old bit of rubber to not have perished, but I think that is what I would call a result. Especially given earlier today the power switch broke from the plastic being brittle so now I really desperately DO need to get the play field up for some extended repairs.

Here is a pic of the aforementioned strap and one play field that doesn't even need more clearance than the top of the back box:

backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:35am
Brilliant.  Cool story.
Glad to see you posting.
d-type View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d-type Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 11:36pm
Glad you got it sorted. Pinballs are just a total PITA to work on in place.
P*h*i*l*l*i*p EEaattoon in real life
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic