Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Top 50 Arcade Games for 10p Podcast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversmurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:10pm
My top 5 ....

1) Star Wars - hell I was an xwing pilot and they always had a crowd of kids peering from behind through the smokey perspex - Audio is awesome here - use the force luke !

2) Outrun - I can't play this with anything other than magical sound shower - also the way the roads rose and fell really moved felt like this was the next level - this was the seaside driver of choice

3) Ridge Racer - played the mx5 version in the Trocadero back in the day - now I have the slightly smaller sitdown - still love this

4) Frogger - first played this at a family wedding way back - took me a few goes to figure out you didn't dodge the logs - duh !

5) Daytona - this together with a load of mates around beer o'clock - in lahndon toon really set the night up for games of killer pool!

list does seem to be driver heavy but these are probably the ones I played most - and kind of mapped out my arcade path through those formative years of 11 - 25 ! 
Sinisteve View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinisteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:29pm
My top 5 are...
Asteroids
Chase HQ
Time pilot
Sinistar
Street fighter 2

Bonus game is pole position the sounds are so epic and are what take me back to spending time at the arcades...
iamjimmi View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamjimmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 11:54pm
Great idea for the podcast guys - really look forward to hearing the result. Not sure it's fair to limit selection to just 5?! I mean there is Scramble, Defender, Space Invaders, Galaxian, PacMan, Star Wars, Space Harrier Deluxe, Out Run, Dragons Lair, Chase HQ, Centipede, Slap Fight aaarghhh!

Well, I hope that they all make you podcast but for the purpose of this thread I am going to be very disciplined and nominate just the three games listed below that all make it to my favourite list for very different reasons....

Favourite ye olde school: Boot Hill

Space Invader was the game changer but for me, this old black and white shooter is where it all started.

It's the first video arcade game that I remember playing - aged around 7 or 8 at Martin Mere caravan park, near Blackpool.

The game is a head to head 2 player shooter – gun slinger against gun slinger - or more accurately bitd sibling against sibling.

You control your cowboy’s movement with a joystick and aim using a second stick. This ability to move and aim independently was quite ground breaking – you can trace the wonderful control mechanics of Robotron right back to this game.

It's a great example of how imaginative and innovative game design could overcome the limited tech of the time – what seemed to be a massive cabinet with a western theme, a two way mirror allowing for a colourful background and a realistic pistol for your trigger hand.

Head em up... move em on...

Favourite underrated game: Return of the Jedi

I love Star Wars – without doubt one of the all-time arcade classics.

However, just like the films, Jedi is seemed by most as weak in comparison.

But despite sharing the same licence lineage and controller, the games are so different that’s it’s not really fair to compare.

Jedi takes you on a journey through the Endor forest on your speeder bike, before climbing into AT-AT to knock out the death star shield. A brief cut scene sees you dog fighting over a background of Star Fighters before launching a solo mission in the Falcon to destroy the Death Star.

Seriously, what’s not to love about that?

The isometric perspective takes some getting used to – but who says games are supposed to be easy? There are very few repeated attack patterns and almost no safe zones – you have to keeping moving, anticipating and reacting – you basically need the force.

You also need a good yoke. Star Wars can be much more forgiving if your controller is tired, but the accuracy needed in Jedi requires a Yoke in tip top condition. I suspect a lot of bad gamer experience is down to poorly maintained yokes. And don’t think about playing this game in Mame – it’s awful.

This is probably the game I played most in the Arcades bitd. I could typically make my 20p (it was never 10p!) last a good 20 minutes – way longer than I could manage on most games. And because it was never that popular, I could usually get well up the leader board.

Atari used the same cab design for a number of games, but none of them look as good as Jedi – a cracking looking and sounding game.

Favourite game to have just one more go: Bomb Jack

I think this game might well be perfect. The concept is similar to Pac Man, in that you have to gobble up items (bombs instead of dots), whilst avoiding them bad guys. And like Pac Man you can get a power pill to turn the table and give you the chance to gobble up the bad guys.

But there is hidden depth that deepens the risk reward strategy for each screen... get the bombs in the correct order and you land a big bonus, change the colour of the power pill to increase the points for eating the bad dudes, maximise the multiplier for bigger scores and make sure that your capture enough multipliers in order to increase your chances of landing an extra man.

The attack patterns of the bad dudes changes from game to game, so it’s hard to learn a set pattern, so each new game feels fresh. And perhaps most importantly the game feels fair… yeah the collision detection isn’t perfect, but for the most part when you die you are left feeling that it was your own fault and if you did something differently you could have avoided the death. Without that lesson learnt, time to have one more go…

I first encountered this game in our school common room. I played it a fair bit and played the cracking home versions on the Atari ST, but it wasn’t until I went over to the New Frontier that I re-discovered my love for this game. And I genuinely don’t think a week has gone by for the last two years when I haven’t had at least one game of Bomb Jack.

Just one more game that is...

Edited by iamjimmi - 04 Aug 2017 at 11:56pm
Nik73 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nik73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2017 at 3:01pm
I was lucky growing up that my small, rural town had an arcade with about 30 games that changed regularly. Every night on the way home from school and a good chunk of Saturday afternoons spent in there. Amazing how far my £2 pocket money went at first, but once I got my first weekend job I lived like a king! They did a cracking job of getting the latest games in as well.
One of the great things for me about arcades then compared to gaming now was how there was no internet and not a lot of coverage in magazines. You found stuff out by word of mouth. I loved making new friends as people watched you play and chipped in with tips and secrets or you picked things up from just watching other people play. If anyone was good at a game, there was always a crowd round them. Even at Arcade Club people don't seem to be interested and just move to a free machine if someone is on the one they want to play. Guilty of it myself and just the way of the world now I guess. Instant gratification......... Wow, sound like a right old fart.
Another big influence was the annual summer trip to Blackpool where you got to play anything and everything. Always spent way more time on the front than in the pleasure beach, dragging my poor parents round until I was old enough to be let loose.

Really hard to keep it to 5 favourites, but no. 1 is easy

Out Run
As a petrol head from a young age, I was always drawn to racers, but seeing the deluxe version off this for the first time in Blackpool blew my 13yr old mind. 50p a go though! The movement, ffb, etc was amazing and, as a 13yr old, felt like you were driving a real car. Not to mention that music! I couldn't believe it when my local arcade got an upright version a few weeks later. Played nothing else, even when it disappeared we tracked it to the other side of town to the truck stop to keep playing it and Gauntlet. Seemed a really shady place at the time, with rumours of it being the towns red light district!! I even loved that god awful spectrum version where you had to load each stage and it came with a soundtrack tape. Was finally able to replace that dodgy copy we made by putting a tape recorder up to the speaker in the arcade in an 80's top 40 style.
Weirdly, none of the other racers of the time grabbed me the same, even the sequels. Everything paled to Out Run, and still does. I have decent sim racing setup now with VR on pc, but still love playing this and Sega Rally. Sadly I don't have the reactions to be able to thread it between cars at full chat through a corner now, but am still pretty decent. I remember playing it in mame for the first time after what must have been 15 years and I could still remember every corner on what was the easiest route. R, L, R, R, R to D. Actually doing it took a bit more time though.

Sega Rally
A close second, but predictable with the petrolhead thing and rallying being my favourite motorsport. By this time I was a man of the world at Uni in Manchester. Arcades were a dying breed by now, but seeing the deluxe version in one of my favourite pubs had a similar effect to Out Run. I love it for all the same reasons too. Blew part of my student loan on a Saturn and the wait for this after it kept getting delayed killed me. Worth the wait though.
Again, the sequels never grabbed me the same, or any arcade racer since. Another one I still play a lot now.

Star Wars
Put simply, Star Wars was my childhood. I was absolutely obsessed. I was so easy to buy presents for, just anything Star Wars and usually the figures. Every birthday and Christmas without fail. Another game I played for the first time in Blackpool and this time it was my 10yr old mind that was blown. What? I get to sit in an X-wing? It has the music and speech? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? *BOOM*
Again, sequels pale in comparison for me. Even stuff like the trilogy game with it's better graphics, etc. I remember loving 3D Starstrike on the Spectrum as it was as close as I could get at the time. An upright version was a permanent fixture in my local arcade as well, outlasting nearly everything else. I've got it sort of playable in mame with a flight stick.

Getting harder to choose now............

Bubble Bobble
I think catchy music attracts me to games and I love the plinky plonky tune in this. I first played this in my local arcade and loved it, but when me and a mate started playing it together we were never off it. As a team, we could regularly 1 CC it, but that was using the warps, especially the one getting to lvl 40 without dying. We knew all the patterns and where to head to on each level before the baddies moved. This is rare for me as I normally don't have the patience for this, which is why I'm pants at stuff like Pac Man and Donkey Kong.
Only problem was I always played Bob, so was, and still am, knackered playing on my own past level 30. Still love playing it though.

Rastan Saga
Another one from my local arcade and more catchy music. Weirdly we had the Japanese version with more of a story and the intro screen. Not sure what exactly appeals to me about it as I'm not a huge fan of horizontal scrolling fighters, but for me this is the best by a mile with Rygar second. I remember thinking it looked and sounded amazing. I still love the art style, colours, etc and the music is one of my favourites. I never 1 CCd this, but could get to the last stage. Haven't been able to get past lvl 5 since coming back to it on mame, but it's one of my most played games now. Probably the extra bats in the Rastan version. The spectrum version was absolutely atrocious, couldn't play it. I remember being gutted paying my £7.95 for that dross.
Amazing how your brain stores things. This was another I didn't play for about 15 years, but could remember all the tricks and timings like it was yesterday.

There's so many others I could say that I loved, but in the end went with what I played most then and now. The next cheeky 5 would probably be Rygar, Double Dragon, Daytona USA, Streetfighter II and a toss up between Track and Field and Hypersports. One that jumps out as not standing up to the test of time is Gauntlet. I loved it back in the day, but it's only good for a quick blast every now and again. Gets boring really quickly.
I obviously love the classics as well, but they never grabbed me like these games did.

As it's raining outside, I know exactly what I'll be doing this afternoon.
Chuckie egg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 9:37am
Extremely difficult question to ask,so many I've got nostalgia with and so many I've been getting into over the years of being in this hobby.

Donkey Kong jr
Great f**king game and a real thinking mans game where you can take your time and plan your next move.
Beautiful cabenit and creative lvl design.
Love it

Donkey Kong
Love hate relationship but you can't help coming back for more,so addictive and so much depth once you no the rules.

Paper boy
Great fun to play love the music and forget mame you have to play on a dedicated its the only way.

I robot
Way ahead of its time with its pologon graphics this game was far to good to be appreciated by many.
Play it now and your find a game with deep game play and fast shooting action.
Classic

Sheriff
I've got to include sheriff as I love this game so much,unique controls with charming characters and fun shooting game play.

Honourable mentions
Gorf
Robotron
Juno first
Q Bert
Galaga
Space invaders
Black widow
Punch out
Asteroids
Lunar lander
Centipede
Rescue

shaunholley View Drop Down
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:22am
We now have a website form, if you'd prefer to fill that in.
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

http://tenpencearcade.co.uk
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
Originally posted by shaunholley shaunholley wrote:

We now have a website form, if you'd prefer to fill that in.

Done that mate

Edited by Chuckie egg - 06 Aug 2017 at 11:25am
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Nintendo Arcade

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuckie egg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:33am
Blimey Ian didn't think anyone would remember this classic
Great game beautiful cab
Good choice

Favourite ye olde school: Boot Hill

Space Invader was the game changer but for me, this old black and white shooter is where it all started.

It's the first video arcade game that I remember playing - aged around 7 or 8 at Martin Mere caravan park, near Blackpool.

[/QUOTE]
Rog69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rog69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:37am
My Top five would be -

1. Gyruss - I remember playing this for the first time on a school trip to Solihull ice rink and I was blown away by the sound and gameplay. Brilliant game and still my all time arcade fave.

2. Space Invaders - One of the first arcade games I ever played, my Dad would make my brother and I share a credit, he steered and I fired. It took my brain a long time to adjust to playing it on my own.

3. Donkey Kong - This passed me by a little back in the day but I have come to love it through playing in in emulation, such a classic game and so bloody hard.

4. Defender - I love this game but I absolutely suck at it. I still think this has the best sound of any video game all these years later.

5. Polybius - I played this on holiday in Portland when I was a kid, it was very addictive, and despite it giving me headaches and making me hear voices, I was still compelled to keep playing Wink.

Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 11:50am
Dead Eye
Boot Hill
Bank Panic
Sunset Riders
Bandido/Sheriff

...and I am only missing 1 of those...

Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 2:44pm
Milky - there may be some sort of theme there...

LOL
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

virtvic View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chizels 4 life!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote virtvic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 2:49pm
ATTENTION ALL!!!

I have pm'd a few people with a generic type message asking if you'd like to contribute a small audio submission. We will probably use them all, as we and our listeners like to hear ither peoples's stories, but quite possibly we may get overwhelmed with audio Shocked and might not get to use all of them...

I will more than likely be going to Kdoes meet on 19th August and can record some stuff (as long as it's not full and he's ok with me being there and doing that)

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INPUT SO FAR!!!
THE PENCE IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD!

Check out the podcast

Vamino View Drop Down

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

3 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 4:14pm
5 games that I have nostalgia for:

Gradius II / Vulcan Venture
Spartan X / Kung Fu Master
Rygar
Time Pilot
Gyruss

Special Mention R-Type

There are loads of other games that I like, but I'd be very happy with these in my own Arcade. Smile

Edited by Vamino - 06 Aug 2017 at 4:15pm
Insert Coin[s]
Milky View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wild West Nerd

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by virtvic virtvic wrote:

Milky - there may be some sort of theme there...

LOL

Nonsense! Oh, wait...
Hmmm...it IS a good game, but it needs more cowboys...
Fantazia2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantazia2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 9:47pm
Is there a cut off date for submissions, might have to put some thought into it with so many greats to choose from?
Mark H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 10:02pm
Hi - mine are :

Asteroids - a cold & calculated game - and beautiful vector crisp clear graphics
Tempest - same but in colour - this game draws you in.
Viewpoint - (Neo-Geo MVS) - one of the hardest shoot 'em ups. Brilliant graphics & a mind blowing sound track from 1992 (C) Sammy !!!
Space Invaders - simple but very very addictive
Out Run 2 - yes I know it's new-ish but what a beautiful game - i love to drift again and again.

Cheers

Mark
"The Future Is Now"
maskeddev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 7:49am
Sticking to vids, here some games:

Pole Positon
OutRun
Daytona USA
OutRun 2

Street Fighter 2

The Punisher
Final Fight

Galaga
R-Type

Ms Pac-Man
Frogger
Tapper
Bubble Bobble
Rainbow Islands

Time Crisis
Point Blank
Operation Wolf

Pac-Man
Pong
Asteroids
Space Invaders
Donkey Kong

Did I miss a genre... I'll come back and edit this with reasons when I'm on dextop

Ah yeah, running and shooting type games..

Sunset Riders
Moonwalker

Them my contenders. I'll pick just five, promise!

My top five right now is:
Ms. Pac-Man
Bubble Bobble
R-Type
Daytona USA
The Punisher
Basically, the best game in the genres I like the most. Ms Pac-Man took the most successful arcade game and made it better. Bubble Bobble is the most lovable arch typical arcade game. R-Type the most adored shmup, Daytona the bench mark for every driver since. And, f**k it, The Punisher edges out the better known Final Fight.

Edited by maskeddev - 11 Aug 2017 at 9:40pm
shaunholley View Drop Down
IN YOUR FACE!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaunholley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Fantazia2 Fantazia2 wrote:

Is there a cut off date for submissions, might have to put some thought into it with so many greats to choose from?

Not strictly. We thought we'd keep it open for at least a month, and then see.
ShaunHolley.
Shooting stuff right in't face.

Spivak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spivak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:31pm

Instead of taking in consideration factors as innovation, originality, play-ability and so on, I will be quite simple in my criteria, the games spent more coins in my childhood: 

1. Bad Dudes Vs DragonNinja
2. Hammerin harry
3. Joe & Mac Cave-Man Ninja
4. Shadow Dancer
5. Golden Axe

Digging in my memories of my early childhood, I will mention a couple of games that beside not to be able to play them (almost a baby), they impacted me, by their visuals, music, etc.  

1. Spy Hunter - I was amazed when first saw in my village public swimming pool bar, that big cabinet with seat; what to say about that music that still have in my mind.
2. Vanguard - Impressive the synthesized voice used.

Shinydaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shinydaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 12:26am
It's hard to narrow it down to 5 but here you go:

1. Pole position
2. Outrun
3. Track and field
4. Paperboy
5. Double dragon

So many brilliant games left out but these are the ones I'd look for in the arcade at Yarmouth in the 80's on my hols. I kind of wish I'd expanded my mind a little and played different ones, but I had to choose to spend my 10p's wisely, as I only had 50p pocket money each day. Then Outrun came along and at 50p a go, I had to beg for more

Edited by Shinydaz - 13 Aug 2017 at 12:27am
Hunting for a Hypersports cab and a track and field cocktail, I'll keep on dreaming !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic