FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

defender monitor wires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
User
User
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: defender monitor wires
    Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:09am
hi guys, i have been trying to replace a monitor in my defender cab. the problem i have is that im not sure which cable goes where.
undefined
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:24am
whoops i made an 4rse of that.  

so the problem i have, is what wire goes where. i have sussed the rgb and ground wires, but im unsure about the other 2. 

any advice would be great.

any mods fancy moving the 2 posts together, i thought i had posted them together but obviously not.

and can any of you big cheefs post me up a wee picture. i feel kind of empty without 1. any avatar thingy will do.

cheers.

john bud
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:50am
from memory the wiring goes
1- red
2 green
3 blue
4 video ground
5 postive vertical sync
6 positive horizontal sync
7 (if uncut) composite sync

If the monitor cant handle the sync, you can make a circuit (or cut a track on the pcb) which is outlined at Dave Langleys excellent web site:

JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 12:04pm
this is a picture of the monitor plug

undefined

i need to connect the 6 wires to this 10 pin plug, im just confused over the h and v wires. i just had a look at daves write up. im still none the wiser.

thanks so far rav, much appreciated.

cheers.

john bud

JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
right then a picture of where the 6 wires will be going.

undefined

im defo getting a bit better at photos.

cheers.

john bud

Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm
Ok.. So.. (so from pcb connector to video connector)... 
1 red (purple/red wire) goes to R (1 is to the far right in your picture)
2 Green (purple/green) goes to 2 labelled G
3 Blue  (purple/blue) goes to 3 labelled B
4. Video GND (blk) goes to 4 GND
5. Vert Sync (purple/umm white) goes to 5 V/S (first V/s from the left)
6. Horiz Sync  (purple/??? forgotten!) goes to 6 H/S (first Hls fromt he left)

The second lot of GND, V/S and H/s are for negative sync and the first ones are for positive sync (from a untampered defender pcb).
If the picture wont sync then maybe someone has cut the track on the pcb and you can try the right hand pair without having to bridge the pcb :)

EDIT: (added wire colours) and alos you dont need to loop the video gnd to pins 4 and 7

Edited by Ravage - 26 Apr 2011 at 6:47pm
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 7:41pm
rav your a star, thats the very thing im after. hopefully it works ive never seen it fired up. i can also try another out with the same set up. hopefully i can get 2 cabs up and running on the back of this. but so far so good if im not back in a couple of hours, i have died.

thanks again rav,  

Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by JohnBud JohnBud wrote:

but so far so good if im not back in a couple of hours, i have died.

Confused Lets hope thats not the case! LOL

Yeah, only too pleased to help, if your extending this info to other cabinets, remember that the majority (apart from Wms games Im struggling for other positive sync games!) are negative sync so you'll end up using the second half og the connector for the sync tie up.

Also, the majority of games have comp sync (like some defenders and most williams do undocumented on the extra pin if its not snipped off) and from memory - Ive not checked the manuals here - you should find that the last "H/v" pin (and indeed the h.v pin of the positive section) will happily take a comp sync on a Wells gardner monitor - i.e. if your wiring up a JAMMA loom the sync would be connected to this pin.

Hope Im not teching you how to suck eggs here ;) On allot of hanterex monitors they just have one set of sync inputs, but have a toggle switch on the monitor chassis to change between neg and pos syncs.

If you get stuck feel free to PM me and I can perhaps talk youthru any additional probs your having :)
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 11:44pm
how freaky is that, i just choked on a chicken kebab. seriously the ambulance guys wouldnt try to get the chicken out my throat because i was breathing. they said i would need to be turning blue, i said hold on i will nip into the house and try swallowing it. no chance they said. it was stuck for about 25 minutes. after kicking the sh*t out of my back and trying to throw up it worked. the chicken moved and i swallowed it. never again will i say if im not back i have died. my neighbour was a great help, he tried the heimlic or whatever thing its called. it didnt work he called an ambulance, tbh it was probably best it was well stuck. i thought i would have a quick bite then fire up the cab. it can wait until tomorrow ive still got shaky legs. i will do a thanks tomorrow.

cheers.

john bud
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:20am
right so the story so far.

the rgb and sinc wires are now connected to the 10 pin plug, later on i will connect up the power cable and fire it up. fingers crossed its a worker. the power plug has a third earth wire in it. i will spur it of to an earth point. if it works i can test another monitor Thumbs Up i need to find a good tube for my robotron. at that point i will discharge the robby monitor and hopefully get that up and running too.

@ ravage   the way you posted the help was bang on Thumbs Up nothing too complicated to follow. part of the problems with repairing stuff, is the drag factor of noobiness. whilst im happy to test cabling i much prefer slotting in new parts. i have learned quite a lot about these type of monitors. and really quite enjoyed messing about with this cab. 

the original fault was. the width on screen and the colours, possibly just a mixed up rgb wire. hopefully later on i will be playing against wee green guys instead of red Thumbs Up 

so thanks again rav mucho appreciado

john bud
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 6:03pm
ok chaps, the monitor is connected. but all is not well.

strange 1 the game graphics appear too large ??? i cant stop the rolling. and i can only move the image to the left hand side. is this a sinc problem ??? and should i link the ground to pin 7 or move the h and v to the other connectors ???

i need to go out so no major hurry,  i should be back in about 2 hours or so. but hey we are on the right road. i have never seen this fault before, so im at a loss. but it looks as though the game is stretched out ??? and it wont fit onto the screen. the remote does look a bit u/s so that may be the problem. but at least it up and running. thanks again.

cheers.

john bud
trm View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Who loves you, and who do you love?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:44am
Got a photo of the fault dude?

cheers
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:20am
im going to try the other monitor in the cab, i need 2 tubes to get the cabs up and running. i cant seem to take a decent picture without it looking naff ??? i will pick the best tube and fit to my robotron which got necked enroute to replay. the other will be for the defender. i just need to redo the power connectors, then i will report back.

cheers.

john bud
andyman View Drop Down
always pull away from your face

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:34am
If the remote is duff, it could be the reason the geometry is off but try moving the sync to pins 9 & 10 just in case you have a modded board.

Andy.
"The person you were referring to is a short, shotgun wielding nutter with a vindictive streak 3 miles long. And a Star Wars cockpit "
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:07am
cheers andy, i know the tube on that monitor is fine so i will swap the tube on robotron. if the other is good to go that will be fitted to the defender. that will leave a couple of spare tubes and chassis. the remote board is missing the top part of the pot, i will post a picture. i had hoped the other remote would just swap over but no joy Cry the connectors are different [ never easy for me ] im looking forward to firing up both the robo and defender with the volume turned up. truelly the sound of an 80s arcade, for me the sounds are awesome. im totally crap at defender but i just like watching and listening. man im starting to go moist LOL be back soon.

cheers.

john bud
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 7:29am
another update, plugged in the other monitor and the picture is stable. on closer inspection of its remote board its gubbed 2 pots have theyre legs snapped off. so i now have 2 good tubes Thumbs Up i will see about getting the robotron back home. when its here i will swap over chassis on the first monitor and hopefully its job done, well when i get a new remote for the defender monitor it is. i will post a wanted for the remote board.

cheers.

john bud
Ravage View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Grand-daddy of it all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:00am
John - Ive got those pots are you able to replace them yourself or would rather I do it? Happy for you to post it to me (model # of the WG would also help get the correct values quickly) and Ill do it
JohnBud View Drop Down
User
User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:29am
hi rav, im going to have a good look around, i might have 1 kicking about. failing that i will more than happily take you up on your kind offer. ive just started using my new specs, so at least i can now see to solder. im going to be moving forward on the repair side of things. i just need to pay for a pinball and then its time to build/get a test rig. oh and i need to lose a fair bit of stuff, so i can get to my bench. but i am looking forward to putting some theory into practice. i notice mr g from down the road is flying through his pcb repairs. hopefully over the next couple of yours with some help from you guys, i will be fixing my own boards. or maybe not LOL cheers again rav i will report back soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic