Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Tech, Maintenance & Repairs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Today I did this to my cab...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Today I did this to my cab...
    Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 9:45pm
Not sure if this could be used in a similar way to the 'Today I received' thread, but I'm always tinkering with little bits on my cabs that don't need a full thread, I'm sure loads of us do? If anyone wants to add to it, feel free and add a photo if possible. Fixing things, tarting up, fitting replacement parts, etc.

Tech, Maintenance & Repairs, what are you up to?

Tonight I retrofitted a Marquee light into my Centipede Cabaret. It never had one from the factory, and it looks so much better with one fitted.

jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
Atari Return of the Jedi upright.
Atari Pole Position euro cab.
devtty0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote devtty0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 10:20pm
today I wanted to teach my SR3 coin mech to accept the new 10p's .. well that was the plan

fitted a new reject lever from a spare to the mech, turned the machine one .. flickered on, then the screen went black. Oh dear. Cry

after restarting, marquee still lit, and the monitor looked like it was on, but no picture or sound. Checked the fuses (sounds stupid, but I never knew a simple continuity test worked for that!) - they were o.k. .. no 5v at the jamma edge.

re-wired a known working power supply, all good! Big smile .. restarted back with another game .. nothing Cry

looks like it was a loose ground connection at the jamma edge connector.

tomorrow - re-solder the ground, re-wire back in the original power supply, and maybe, possibly, just maybe get round to what I started out to do in the first place!
Dex-Jay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dex-Jay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 10:45pm
Pimp My 'Pede

Looks nice! Wonder why they didn't do this on the cabarets? Coin door lights too? Wink
C&VG Magazine Outrun Upright Winner 1988!!
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Dex-Jay Dex-Jay wrote:

Pimp My 'Pede

Looks nice! Wonder why they didn't do this on the cabarets? Coin door lights too? Wink

No too sure on that title... but yeah its a bit odd, Tempest's seem to have them just not Centi's, not sure if the DigDug's did. I wouldn't mind one of those! It looks so much better illuminated.

Coin Door lights coming soon Big smile
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
RGP View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Meeter & Greeter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2014 at 1:55am
Originally posted by devtty0 devtty0 wrote:

today I wanted to teach my SR3 coin mech to accept the new 10p's .. well that was the plan

fitted a new reject lever from a spare to the mech, turned the machine one .. flickered on, then the screen went black. Oh dear. Cry

after restarting, marquee still lit, and the monitor looked like it was on, but no picture or sound. Checked the fuses (sounds stupid, but I never knew a simple continuity test worked for that!) - they were o.k. .. no 5v at the jamma edge.

re-wired a known working power supply, all good! Big smile .. restarted back with another game .. nothing Cry

looks like it was a loose ground connection at the jamma edge connector.

tomorrow - re-solder the ground, re-wire back in the original power supply, and maybe, possibly, just maybe get round to what I started out to do in the first place!

Welcome to the world of arcade game maintenance and the battle to keep 30 year old technology running and not just throw a PC in there.  You seldom get done what you set out to do.  It all depends on who had it before you.  Lot of hack jobs, lot of bad soldering, lot of rush repairs - and that's just from the operators who used them.

Parts for fixin' and stuff for sale in our webstore here
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Please Register!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 3:51pm

I dropped this monitor out of a DK last year that I'm going to restore this year. It's already been stripped, cleaned and reassembled. The HOT, filter cap and audio board have already been replaced/rebuilt but the flyback and cap kit I thought I had for it had already been used on another monitor.

Anyhow the parts arrived yesterday to finish it so that was done last eve.

Just tested it

It was running perfectly until the High voltage shut down after a minute or so (James RGP) I hadn't yet had a chance to check the B+ voltage which when I did it was sat at 114VDC....which isn't overly high I thought. Not had this happen on one of these but after adjusting the B+ to 108VDC this rectified the problem and it was running for 25 mins without fault.

Cheers, Al

Edited by PAC-MAN - 09 Apr 2014 at 5:04pm
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 2:16pm
Looks like the monitors cleaned up well Thumbs Up

I've been doing a few more bits to Centipede this week.

New monitor surround

...and I've finally finished the coin door off. Sanded, resprayed, new locks, replacement coin reject labels and new lamps.

Edited by smarty - 10 Apr 2014 at 2:17pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 7:00pm
Like the custom labels. Neat touch.
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2014 at 9:06pm
Thanks. There is a thread over on Klov where quite a few have been made up. I have also used a Tempest one and a plain one with an Atari logo, I also made one with a Sega logo. I Printed them on photo paper and the lamp light shines through them just fine.
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
adrian purser View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote adrian purser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 1:38am
Tonight I fitted some patched roms to the Field Goal table that adds a free play mode. I finished the patch today so I will be testing it until it goes to the Slam.

smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2014 at 8:22am
Not just Freeplay... nice text hack. Looking forward to playing this. I love breakout style games.
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2014 at 8:15pm
Today I spliced these 2 wires together:

Defender coin door switch. High Score Reset. Never worked. Today I decided to find out why. For some utterly bizarre reason High Score Reset and Slam wiring were crossed over somewhere in the harness. Not the easiest fault to find ... White / Grey to White Purple ....

Edited by tb lilley - 12 Apr 2014 at 8:18pm
smarty View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smarty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 9:53pm
Bit of woodwork for me this afternoon. Centipede has been crying out for a rear door for the past 15 years and Tempest door was battered and swollen. I also remade the top and bottom sections of the Centi back panels as they had seen better days. Just got to paint them, hopefully this week if the weather's good.

Edited by smarty - 13 Apr 2014 at 9:54pm
jumpnfire.com

MOST WANTED CABS:
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2014 at 10:27pm
looking good Smarty Thumbs Up
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
Kenth333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenth333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 6:47am
Did the standard cap kit and a lot of reflowing on the WG K7000 in my Thunder Blade. The picture is a little better for it but still needs some new resistors on the neckboard. And a new tube with less burn.
Changed the 26yo suicide battery two weeks ago

Jodo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
It's Tachikoma Time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 9:19am
Today I will mostly be trying to dismantle a Sega Rally twin I bought for £50 and get it into a Ford Ka.

I've measured it.

I'm quietly confident.
REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.
Space Harrier Arcade World Record Holder!!
Twin Galaxies Official Score: 42,384,290
Retroruss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Retroruss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:23pm
Good luck!
Wanted - Hot Rod Parts.
tb lilley View Drop Down
5 Star

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb lilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 1:51pm
It's probably easier to fit a Ford Ka into a Sega Rally Twin.
Jodo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
It's Tachikoma Time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jodo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 5:33pm
Well both the twins are now dismantled! Now the fun begins. I'm pretty sure there's not enough room for my girlfriend on the return journey. I haven't mentioned this yet and won't be doing until she's helped me lift the bases in ;-)
REMINDER: There are NO rules against sending a PM to buy in a Valuations thread.
Space Harrier Arcade World Record Holder!!
Twin Galaxies Official Score: 42,384,290
Vamino View Drop Down

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

4 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vamino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2014 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Jodo Jodo wrote:

Well both the twins are now dismantled! Now the fun begins. I'm pretty sure there's not enough room for my girlfriend on the return journey. I haven't mentioned this yet and won't be doing until she's helped me lift the bases in ;-)

LOL
Insert Coin[s]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic