ukVac.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Trading Post > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

82S123 & 82S129 PROM replacement PCBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 82S123 & 82S129 PROM replacement PCBs
    Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 2:17pm
I've done a run of 82S123 & 82S129 replacement PCBs which are now available for sale.

They allow readily-available fast PROMs (Atmel 27C256 or 27C512) to be used in place of the original PROMs - the modern devices are much easier to programme and not as scarce as the originals.

There are 3 boards available, a dedicated board for each of the 82S123 & 82S129, and a dual board that can be used as either.  The advantage with the dedicated board is that it is smaller than the dual board.  All bare boards are priced at £1.50 each (plus post).

Additional costs involved are the PROM, headers, optional socket and capacitor, giving a total cost of around £3 each.

82S123 replacement (selectable link for 27C256 or 27C512)

82S129 replacement (selectable links for 27C256 or 27C512, and which enable pin you want to use on the original PROM - this isn't an issue for Atari games such as Battlezone because both enables are grounded anyway)

Dual replacement (fit the PROM on the left for 82S123 and on the right for 82S129)

silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:18pm
fantastic work mate

can i get 5 of the Dual ones please

Edited by silverfox0786 - 13 Mar 2016 at 4:19pm
Battlezone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlezone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:18am
Phil great to chat to you on Saturday. I'd like to buy 4 of each of the dedicated boards please if you have enough. As we discussed I'll put an Winbond EEPROM in one for debug and the use the remaining boards with one time program ROMs when I identify a bad chip.
John Keay
Cabs: Tempest*, Battlezone*, Asteroids*, Star Wars*, MACH3*, Space Invaders, Tron, Gauntlet, Warlords, Space Rescue*, PlayChoice10* (*=needs TLC)
Som-galatik-defendar-you-are-spash-karpten
backflipper View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backflipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 9:55am
Nice Phil

I woukd be up for 5 of each dedicated and 2 dual please.

Cheers
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2016 at 11:00am
John, Steve - thanks for the interest, sent you both PM's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlezone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:45am
Phil,

Have you ever tried wiring up these adapters the other way
(pin headers on the outside and a small socket on the inside)
to allow the awkward parts to be read/tested on a cheap EPROM
programmer? I've not been through the pin details to see if
that even makes sense, I suspect it might need a track cut or
two where multiple pins are shorted together on the larger device.
John Keay
Cabs: Tempest*, Battlezone*, Asteroids*, Star Wars*, MACH3*, Space Invaders, Tron, Gauntlet, Warlords, Space Rescue*, PlayChoice10* (*=needs TLC)
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:31am
Not tried it, but as a number of the higher address lines are grounded, and the programmer will be trying to make them high when reading that might cause a problem depending on the programmer.  Unless you can set your programmer to only read a certain range (e.g. 0x00-0xFF for the 129)

The data and address lines are correctly mapped between the devices A0...<>A0... so it might work.  I'll chuck in an extra dual adaptor with the other boards if you want to give it a try and report back?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlezone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:52am
Yes I'll have a think about it some more and give it a try.
John Keay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlezone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 11:38pm
Phil,

I tested the PROM replacement PCB configured the opposite way around to the intended direction and it worked just fine. Just to be clear I'm only interested in reading the PROM here and have not worried about how to write to one (because the chips are hard to come by).

Specifically I configured a board so an 82S123 chip can be read by my cheap EPROM programmer (that can read an AT27C512R).

Rather than cut any tracks on the PCB I simply avoided adding pins for the high order address bits (A5-A15). I'm pretty sure we could choose to configure another board to read 82S129 instead if we wanted.
In this case I didn't need to configure the jumpers J2 or J3 and I chose to leave off the decoupling cap for the moment.

Here are some pictures. The 32 bytes of data are aliased multiple times into the AT27C512's address space (but this is fine).

These are great little boards thanks for taking the time to make them up. I think I'll dedicate 4 of my boards to debug and save the others to replace bad chips.
  1) a board to allow 82S129s to be read/checked by an EPROM programmer.
  2) a board to allow 82S123s to be read/checked by an EPROM programmer.
  3) a board fitted with a W27C512-45Z EEPROM to debug 82S129 chips
  4) a board fitted with a W27C512-45Z EEPROM to debug 82S123 chips
I prefer the dedicated boards because they are a little smaller, but in a pinch 3) and 4) could be a single board (just move the EEPROM). As we discussed, when it comes to replacing a chip the one-time-programmable AT27C512R-45PU appears currently to be at the best price point (the EEPROM is a little more expensive but better suited to multiple rounds of debug).

Edited by Battlezone - 21 Mar 2016 at 11:49pm
John Keay
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2016 at 7:45pm
Nice work John. I never thought to use the boards "backwards" but great to see that they work.

silverfox0786 View Drop Down
Beware the Hillman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverfox0786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 6:02pm
would it be possible to show how you have soldered the reader for 123 and 129

@phil, is it possible to make an adaptor for 82s131 and maybe 82s126

im sure with some jumper arrnagemen t you could make a single board to do all 4
Purity View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
The Oracle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:29pm
I'm in need of a 82S131, so if that's possible I'd be interested :-)
Equites View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members
Chief Sheesher®

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Equites Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Purity Purity wrote:

I'm in need of a 82S131, so if that's possible I'd be interested :-)

Very similar pinout to a 82s129

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Battlezone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by silverfox0786 silverfox0786 wrote:

would it be possible to show how you have soldered the reader for 123 and 129

Hi Sarj, that sounds like it might be a question for me?

I've not tried wiring one of Phil's PCBs up as a reader for the 129 yet.

As far as a 123 reader is concerned let me know what info you need
in addition to the pictures and I'll post it. I'm not planning to try and
build a combined 123/129 reader on a single PCB.

John Keay
leejsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leejsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:35pm
Hi, Are these still available or do you have the info I would need to make my own ? I have a crazy kong with sprite problems that I just cant find, I have replaced all ram and removed and put sockets on of half of the IC's around the sprite section so I can test them  and many others, but I still cant find the problem.

Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:53pm
I am pretty sure the proms on crazy kong are only used for colour, are any colours off?
leejsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leejsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Ace` Ace` wrote:

I am pretty sure the proms on crazy kong are only used for colour, are any colours off?

No they are fine, I am missing sprites they only show on the very bottom and kong is missing at the top and on the intro screen.

https://youtu.be/N_LnjvvMteI

I have replaced all ram chips, the eproms for the sprites and checked loads of chips.
Ace` View Drop Down
PlanB contributor #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ace` Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:49pm
Looks like you've got a bad TTL some where.
philmurr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philmurr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:57pm
Yes the PCB's are still available...

But this won't be a fault with the PROMs.  Likely to be the counters used in the sprite circuit.

What version of hardware is it running on?  Can you post a photo of the board?

leejsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leejsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by philmurr philmurr wrote:

Yes the PCB's are still available...

But this won't be a fault with the PROMs.  Likely to be the counters used in the sprite circuit.

What version of hardware is it running on?  Can you post a photo of the board?

It's a official Falcon crazy kong Pt2 

https://imgur.com/QrVp9d3

https://imgur.com/Om8uMrq

Edited by leejsmith - 09 Aug 2018 at 6:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic