Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Artwork and Restorations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

Restoring my Grail - Nintendo Upright R-Type

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring my Grail - Nintendo Upright R-Type
    Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 5:39pm
Been wanting to get this restoration thread off the ground for awhile now, but had a few bad weeks with some family stuff, but now it's looking like this will happen and i should get one of the games i've always wanted to get. Something that i never even thought was possible until recently, as i had parked it in my mind as never being made as an original cabinet art worked game. I always just assumed it was a jamma only board game. I guess that may sound strange to all the big video collectors out there, but as i've mainly been a pinball addict for 25+ years i never really gave it much thought. 

However, with the purchase of the space firebird upright cab and the restoration of that, fixing up the boards and monitor etc it lead me to think again about the possibility of an R-type cabinet. Then I found out that Nintendo had made original uprights with the cool r-type graphics, so that fitted into my love for nintendo to, but then my hopes were dashed again as i found out that they were not sold in Europe but USA only. 

Then after some more random searching i found one here in the uk, that had been previously imported from the USA. Its a non worker (though i'm told the pcb board is good) so i'm about to start the grail restore of all restores (Arcade wise) for me :)

It also comes at a time which will really help me, as my Dad passed away suddenly at the start of September after a long 22 year battle with Parkinsons. :( I need something new to keep me occupied and i think this is it!! He was the reason i got into pinball many many years ago and also why i started my own business. Pinball electronics is my day job so i'm thinking some new arcade action is just what i need for variety :)

Game is scheduled to arrive here on Friday, so i'll be posting some pics of it as i take a look at it and get to grips with what's going to need to be done. I'll be on the hunt for spares and parts etc and will be doing a fair amount of online searching i would think :)

Hoping it will be a fun adventure.

http://mypinballs.co.uk
http://blog.mypinballs.com
J69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:01pm
Looking forward to it
jase38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jase38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:16pm
The R-Type cab is a thing of beauty, good luck with the restore. Looking forward to seeing some pics.
ianski View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 6:41pm
I had a similar experience with my Mr, Do cab - I never realised they made a dedicated and when I saw it I fell in love with it. Isn't it great when a favourite games turns out to gave a really cool natching cab.
Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope your resto gives you plenty of happy times. Looking forward to the write up.
Looking for: Nice working monitors for my US games.
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 7:53pm
Looking forward to this thread. I love Nintendo cabs and have recently really warmed to r-type, a game I never gave much time to bitd. Sorry to hear about your dad though, nice to hear about how he got you into pins though!
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
myPinballs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:57am
So then, this arrived this morning :) :) Many thanks to Craig and Martin( deliveryman) I'm super chuffed already!!

I love these Nintendo Cabinet Tags. There's something so cool and quality about them. Pretty much the same design as on my Space Firebird upright to. Awesome!

My Serial Number is 01747 :)

Edited by myPinballs - 22 Sep 2017 at 11:58am
JonathanClayton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonathanClayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:11pm
Ahhh... saw this on Giz10p's Facebook page yesterday and wondered if it was yours!
Current cabs:
Mini Donkey Kong (Arcade Base 60-in-1)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Junior
Donkey Kong 3
HeliFire Cocktail
Popeye Cocktail (In transit)
Space Fever B&W Cocktail
-------
mynintendoarcade.com
neil1637 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil1637 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:12pm
That is awesome. Great cab. Bet you were like a kid at Christmas unwrapping that!!
Please visit my Arcade Diary Blog at https://neilsarcadediary.wordpress.com/

Grail search - blue Donkey kong upright.
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:19pm
ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Would be amazing to get a decent scan of the side-art and the marquee too!

Edited by Flinnster - 22 Sep 2017 at 9:26pm

Wanted: - PCBs: Rainbow Islands, Rolling Thunder, Original Wonderboy PCB
- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
big10p View Drop Down

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:39pm
That looks nice, even with the bubble wrap on. 
whitecomet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitecomet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 12:52pm
WOW!! That is one nice Nintendo cabinet.... the artwork on this cabinet is amazing, hopefully its all there as I've never seen a scan even! But it looks all present in the bubble wrap photos!
Great get!
Big Phil View Drop Down
Captain Phil

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 9:14pm
Love your restore threads, Jim. You're a very talented guy!
DMD Board Repairer
grobda View Drop Down
"Look at the size of that thing!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grobda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:45pm
Great cab! I'd love one of those but unlikely to happen. Been playing R-Type recently, and finally made it to level 6 on one credit. Then died a lot.

GL with the fix.Smile
sporadically obsessed with this sh*t
Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by grobda grobda wrote:

Great cab! I'd love one of those but unlikely to happen. Been playing R-Type recently, and finally made it to level 6 on one credit. Then died a lot.

GL with the fix.Smile

Nice going! :) Level 4 for me still ...  I always get mashed by one of the little blob laying critters just before the boss.

- Parts needed: Naomi non-swivel castor / wheel, coin mech metal clip for Dino King Door
strykr View Drop Down
Senior Members
Senior Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strykr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm
lovely cab, much need doing on it?
Wanted - Electrocoin Wheels Runner Cabinet http://tinyurl.com/oq6dkau
Badlands & Champ sprint TG mame WR holder
mcbear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2017 at 11:56pm
Can’t wait to see how this comes along; would love an R-Type.
RSwanson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSwanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 1:45am
I've repaired my R-type pcb a good few times, if yours has a problem then give me a shout!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Flinnster Flinnster wrote:

ShockedShockedShockedShocked

Would be amazing to get a decent scan of the side-art and the marquee too!

That would be great. I'm happy to help out however i can for this if you are interested. The marquee i have is like most of them and suffered badly from yellowing over time. I'm guessing its to do with the light source behind it for years. The marquee itself appears to be vinyl type sticker to applied to perspex, not like the earlier nintendo ones that were reverse screen printed.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myPinballs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 7:28pm
So, spent a great afternoon today going through the game and starting a basic clean up of the cabinet. Just enough to get rid of all the surface grime and make the thing feel better when handling it to rotate etc. I always try to do this (with pinball to) at the start, otherwise you never want to do it later. 

I've also been through the initial job list. This is so far:

- Remove all old security bolts, brackets and plates
- Re-jumper and test cabinet power supply transformer panel.
- Check and replace power cord and plug
- Source a new 5v/12v power supply, as this is missing. May use a stock switched supply for now with  correct cabling adapter made up until i can find the proper part.
- Remove nasty operator label from marquee
- Fix marquee light
- Test and repair monitor
- Test pcb (Tested as good previously)
- Vacuum out internals, dust etc

Flinnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flinnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 11:07pm
Hope your PCB fires up and is in a good state! Thumbs Up
For the sideart, and marquee actually, I never found any good source for any of the art. Only some flyer scans, that of course have other stuff all over them.
I was looking for something to do a decent print-resolution custom R-Type marquee art design for my mini cabs, as of course R-Type is a definite fave!
Something like the stuff on this thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic