Forum Home Forum Home > Arcade > General Arcade Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skin:

To restore or not to restore ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

First Year of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robotech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To restore or not to restore ?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:10am
I was wondering what people thought about restoring cabs i have gone through a few now

First few cabs i had i sanded filled painted bought overlays and t molding
New joysticks and buttons
The end results looked good but not really original

but the last few cabs ive had
I havent bothered as much ive just gave them a good clean
And played them fag burns scratches and all

So which is best ? would you prefere to own cabs with the restored look or arcade fresh look

Thanks
Shane
JohnBud View Drop Down
There's only one JB, only one JB!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:28am
i'm fine with less than mint cabs as long as they play as they should Thumbs Up
DanP View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Whipcracker

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

5 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:43am
It's really a matter of personal choice/circumstances.   Personally I like to keep it original, as long as the game plays as it should and the controls are good I'm happy.   This might be different if I had to keep my cabs in the the house, but as it stands they are out of sight and all wedged in together so a lot of cosmetic issues are hidden.   I'd rather spend the time on getting the electronic side in perfect shape or as bullet proof as I can, especially these days where I'm 'time poor'...
dj_yt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj_yt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 9:58am
It's personal preference, but somewhat depends on where you keep your cabs I imagine. 

If they're in a separate garage or outbuilding, you're likely to be less fussed about cosmetics - when you head in there you are more likely to just want the machines to switch on and play reliably. 

The person who keeps a single cab in the middle of their living room and has to look at it all the time regardless of whether they are playing it will probably want to improve the cosmetics. 

There's no right or wrong answer, as long as you're not ripping out CRTs and working PCBs! 
Mark H View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:32am
Keep it as original as possible but replacing old power supply units is certainly fine. And yes no LCD's and keep the originally CRT's certainly. I would say that new T molding and touching up scratches and filling in dents etc is OK too.

Cheers

Mark
"The Future Is Now"
pobtastic View Drop Down
UKVAC Dev-Team Member
UKVAC Dev-Team Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pobtastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2018 at 10:42am
I just do what I'm capable of, and no more than that ... I know that I'm TERRIBLE at woodwork, so I leave that well alone!  Instead I just fix the electronics, and I'll buy original replacement parts should something replaceable become available (bezel/ marquee/ etc), but I don't tend to focus on those things.  As long as they're playable, that's good enough for me.
-- ArcadeGeek.co.uk --
Eddhorse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eddhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:13am
I like them clean, from when they left the factory, the poor little buggers deserve it.
They don't deserve cigarette burns and grease and dirt.
Plus the missus is more keen to let them in the house then.
Kev A View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 10:53am
I like the survivor look, as long as they play well that's good enough for me, a bit of wear and tear is fine, if the game has been used and enjoyed by thousands of people over the years is kind of cool. But I cant stand damage from vandalism, names scratched into CPOs and stuff, just pointless.
TWB View Drop Down

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

2 Years of Supporting ukvac.com!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:30am
I'll give them a clean but that's about it, I like the relic look it's part the cabs history.

WANTED
Cabs: Asteroids (upright)
PCBs: Super Cobra
Always interested in pre-JAMMA boards
t-m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t-m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 11:39am
I go by the saying 'it's only original once'.  I'm happy with a bit of wear and tear but the odd touch up is fine here and there.  Plus i'm also terrible at woodwork!
maskeddev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maskeddev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:18pm
Depends on the cab for me...
https://twitter.com/ArcadeFacts
WANTED: 25" Electrocoin
big10p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big10p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 12:43pm
I don't mind a few battle scars as long as they're not too serious, but if I ever got hold of a grail cab, I'd probably try to get it as new as possible.
Bods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 1:21pm

I don't know if people will really be bothered like they are with Cars, as people say, some cars in original untouched condition sell for more than not so good full restoration ones

Would sooner machines be original rather than restored myself

Obviously some need it when artwork missing, damaged, parts missing etc so that's fine if as much is replaced with original parts

If it was complete with minimal damage/wear and people remove all the original stuff and rebuild with new repro artwork and parts just because they want it to look new then that is a real shame and basically in my eyes trashed it

Bit like some of the so called restored BMX's on ebay, all new non original parts and they think it's wonderful, but to me it's just a mess and not restored, bodged or tarted up would be more accurate but people still buy em

The Sega Deluxe Machines I see a bit different, because the base is metal and often been repainted badly they do need restoring, only paint end of day, same with the seat/rear part, they wear bad from use so to repaint it is ok to me, but again if it was in really tidy condition I would leave it
WANTED! Buggy Boy Junior Rear Seat. Continental Circus Cockpit Lower Rear Light Plexi and more space
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic